Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

acne and red skin

i am on day 6 of being 80% raw. Before that I was on a vegan diet with lots of fresh vegetables/fruit and green smoothies. I have horrible skin. It's usually red from an allergic rash or rosecea (not sure which) and I always have blemishes. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve my skin?

Thank You!

Comments

• I am also prone to bad skin and I have done so much! I would say drink as much water as you can and possibly look into a drug called Roaccutane. There are a lot of side effects with it but it depends how much you want clear skin. I am currently half way through my treatment. Since starting transition onto raw my skin seems a little better though, I am hoping once 100% my skin should have shown quite a big change.

• thanks for the suggestion. i can't take that because i have a history of depression. http://www.acne.org/accutane-side-effects.html the side effects seem too numerous to try it.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Eat high fruit, low fat raw.

Fruit and greens.

No oils, no nuts, no seeds, no salt, no aminos or soy sauce crap, no vinegars, no seaweeds, nothing in a jar, nothing in a bag.

Just shop the produce section. Sound limiting? Go to a farmers' market and make some fresh choices - your options are endless. Eat fruit ripe.

Exercise. Get enough sleep.

• grapefruit.fanaticgrapefruit.fanatic Raw Newbie

I don't agree with completely cutting out all oils, seeds and nuts if you've had skin problems. When I do that, my skin gets very dry. Then I have to put lotion on it, which always causes a breakout. Then I have to use more drying treatments to treat the blemishes, and the cycle continues.

My skin looks better when I have some olive oil in my diet- just 1- 2 tbsp a day is enough. I used to avoid fat as much as possible, but when I moved to Europe, I starting eating olive oil all the time and noticed a BIG improvement in my skin...way less acne, softer, smoother skin.

Plus, walnuts, avocados, pine nuts, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds have zinc, which helps fight acne.

Stress and anxiety also aggravate acne and some other skin conditions, as does lack of sleep, as superfoods said.

It sounds like you're not sure exactly what type of skin condition you may have (besides the blemishes), so I would definitely continue to eat high raw and green smoothies, but go see a dermatologist if this concerns you.

• The only things that have ever helped my acne are fasting (juice or water), liver flushing, oil of oregano and sunlight

• LaEnsaladaLaEnsalada Raw Newbie

superfood2- why no seaweed?

No seaweed - anything salty would cause you to be dehydrated, and you need hydration for good skin.

I think 1 T. of oil a day isn't too bad but not ideal. Avocado is best for fats.

• beanbean Raw Newbie

That's true about the salt thing- I avoid it like the plague, myself, but I also eat heaps of seaweed. I usually soak it until all the salt comes out, or as much as possible. After soaking and rinsing multiple times, it's usually pretty salt-free except for the natural stuff already in plant foods.

• Hi,

The best food for acne-prone skin are greens, especially green cruciferous vegetables because of their high content of sulfur and betacarotene.

Check this out - http://www.acne.org/messageboard/FABULOUS-Skin-Food-G-t108917.html

Also you can try to look for some more recommendation from Dr. Joel Fuhrman. This is what I have found:

"The number one priority is nutrient density in your skin. To increase the phytonutrients in your skin have two to four ounces of green cruciferous juice a day, mixed in some other juice such as carrot/strawberry. Then have 6 ounces of raw greens, mixing kale, organic spinach and lettuce smoothie.

Also consume a daily bowl of a green-based soup with broccoli rabe, bok choy, collards and other dark greens cooked into the soup base. You can eat raw nuts, but not more than two ounces with any one meal. You can eat fresh fruit, but not more than 2-3 fruit equivalents with any one meal.

Try to sweat as much as possible and of course, eat when hungry and do not overeat.

If you do all this your hormonal peaks will diminish in 2 or 3 months and your skin will make great strides."

2-3 fruit equivalents with one meal? Yeah, I guess all of us thriving on high fruit, which is what humans do thrive on, are secretly hiding bad skin underneath our glowing faces. lol

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

Acne is down to a hormonal imbalance in which case supporting the liver is vital. Here is a few articles ive done that may help.

Supporting The Liver Naturally

Tips For Hormonal Imbalances

• I know most of you are vegan but fish oil capsules clear up cystic acne and considering how painful cysts are and how badly they scar this info might be beneficial for some.

I get terrible cystic acne during my time of the month so I take 2 capsules a day starting a few days before I'm due to start my period and continue taking them about 2 days after I end and if I do this I don't get even one cyst. If I don't take them I can get up to 10 cysts during my period...and it HURTS.

I also break out in cysts on occasion if my skin gets dehydrated for whatever reason and if I take the capsules the inflammation will go down quite a bit and no new cysts will form within the first day of taking them, it works pretty quickly.

I've read online that others have found this works for them too but it only seems to stop the cystic acne not regular acne.

I've tried flaxseed oil and it didn't work for my monthly cystic breakouts.

• susan121susan121 Raw Newbie

Used to be a fan of the acv/tea tree oil method. Don't get me wrong, they both work wonders if used correctly, but they are really harsh and after a while my face just couldn't take it anymore. Peeling, redness, dryness, etc.

SO, I followed the advice of Natasha St Michael and stopped putting anything crazy on my face. Just wash it once or twice a day with olive oil soap. Occasionally I slather on some raw honey, and it feels luxurious. Raw honey will help with dryness/inflammation/large pores. Just a suggestion!

• When a person suffers from acne, the facial beauty decreases and one can feel emotional stress, depression and lack of confidence in front of other friends and in public.