Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

How do you get carbs without a dehydrator?

So I was looking at all the yummy looking "bread" recipes but they all seem to require a dehydrator.

I'm trying to experiment and go raw for a month, and so don't really want to invest in a dehydrator (I would rather invest in a spiralizer!)

Anyway, aside from fruits and sprouting everything, how else can you get carbs?

(It's funny, most meat-eaters will say "raw/vegans don't eat enough protein" - not me! It's the glucose that keeps the brain going...!)

Thanks.

Comments

• veghealthcoachveghealthcoach Raw Newbie

You can use your oven to dehydrate foods. Set your oven to the lowest temperature and keep the door open at an angle.

• kuritekurite Raw Newbie

Your brain requires very little glucose to operate. Carnivores (humans on carnivorous diets) are able to produce glucose for your brain to operate fully and some even report it functioning better than on a diet with carbs.

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

You're right, it is the glucose that keeps us going, and the best way to get this is by eating raw, sweet fruit, as much as you care for. You definitely don't need a dehydrator for that. In fact, you'll do better without one.

Swayze

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Agreed with Swayze. You need only fruit, not dehydrated, soaked, sprouted, or otherwise 3-day prep "foods."

• Veghealthcoach, thanks, I will try that! :)

Kurite, eerr no your brain needs glucose to operate. I should also note that I'm a type I Diabetic and my dietitian told me I need at least 45g of carbs per meal to sustain life without over-eating from starvation at other meals. 45g of carbs is pretty easy to get in a meal with fruit though - a couple of bananas; a cup each of blueberries, raspberries and two cups of strawberries; 3 nectarines/peaches; 2 cups of mangoes; the list goes on. I wasn't *worried* about it, I just wanted to ask around.

Swayze and Superfood2. great, the less "work" the better for me! I'm a girl on the run! :D

Lulushka8, I'm not asking as a current vegan or raw foodist, I put this in the newbie forum for a reason...thanks for the encouragement! :P

Durianrider, true. I would actually prefer to get my calories from mono and polyunsaturated fats; it's more bang for my buck so to speak, as carbs only have 4 kcal/g but fat has 9 kcal/g. But I do need some glucose, it's not the energy that I was worried about.

I wasn't told to *do anything*, I was simply asking a question. You are right, the body does need glucose to replenish glycogen stores. That can't be done by simple consumption of calories...

I will try to buy lots of fruit...I have this horrible habit of buying lots of produce and then never get to using it before it goes bad. :s Hopefully eating raw will force me to utilize it when I have it; there's a lot of amazing yummy fruit out there!

My major concern is that my body would digest it too fast; I have a hard time sustaining long-term glucose levels with just fruit, it feels like I burn through it in an hour. It certainly would cause my blood sugar to crash before exercising, but then again, I get the feeling I'll be taking a whole lot less insulin, so I better be prepared to deal with my blood sugar dropping like crazy...

Lucky? for me all dried fruits (preserved fruits) send me to the bathroom, so I won't miss those anyway! :P

sciencequeen your completely incorrect sorry but its simply been disproven.

• M42M42

There's a lot of carbohydrates and glucose in fruits so don't worry about it. Look some fruits up on wolfram|alpha or another nutrient site: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=banana . As you'll see bananas for example are in the glucose top 10% of foods. Just eat a lot of fruits and you'll be fine :-) (from my experience eating a lot of fruits work better than eating fat anyway).

• 00 Raw Newbie

I get my carbs from fruit! That's basically all I eat! I probably average 15 bananas, 6 mangoes, a pint of strawberries, and maybe 3 or 4 apples a day (or the equivalent of that in calories from other yummy fruit). Plus, I eat at least 2 heads of lettuce greens a day. I jog about 2 miles a day, I do yoga every other day, and I ride my bike to get anywhere that's more than a mile away (I don't have a car), so I don't think I'm someone who exerts myself that much, but I am at least somewhat active. I say I'm doing pretty good carbohydrate-wise, since I definitely don't get hungry or tired during my activities. And I DEFINITELY don't have a dehydrator, nor do I want one if I have to prepare my food a day or more in advance to even get anything out of it... I'm lazy! I just reach for my fruit-filled fridge and BAM! instant meal! :)

• Kurite, really? Care to source your words?

M42, cool! I like having more resources for nutrition info. I also use this site: http://www.nutritiondata.com/

Missc, ah you sound active like me! Glad to hear you haven't fallen over. ;) And you're right, having a well-stocked fridge is key, so that when you're feeling super hungry when you get in, you reach for something fast, already waiting for you. :)

Anybody on a carnivorous diet proves my point? I know plenty of people that eat only meat. No fruit, no honey, no sugars or carbs at all. Your body converts protein into glucose for your brain.

• Kurtie: Suger (i.e from sweet fruit) is the brains PREFERRED source of energy. It is effortlessly used by the body. Why would you want to put your body through all of that work to convert protein to glucose!???! That is just stupid, and damaging. Those "no carb'' people must be severely constipated and smelly (sorry, I couldn't not say that).

According to most testimonies people on carnivorous diets actually have better mental clarity along with other supposed health benefits.

• Again, Kurtie, you always seem to be promoting meat on this VEGAN forum.

Doubtful. References, please?

And, that doesn't change the fact that "human carnivores" probably only poop once every 12 days.

Heres a good article on the subject.

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/75/5/951-a

And by the way im not trying to promote meat in anyway. However when I want to disprove something and the best answer disproving it is using a meat diet as an example than im going to use that info.

• Kurite what do you eat raw? DO you eat meat? doesnt it feel hard to digest?

• Sciencequeen,

I'm not sure if this will work for you or not, but this suggestion is based on my elderly mother-in-law who lives with us and is diabetic (it's adult onset type, not childhood diabetic). She has a HUGE fruit salad for breadfast, then eats veggies and higher protein food (lean meat for her, she's not vegetarian) later in the day. For some reason, if she has the fruit later in the day, it messes up with her sugar?

I know this goes contrary to food combing rules (and it may horrify some), but sometimes I add some nuts (or avocado) to my sweet fruit salads and it keeps me fuller much longer. I don't have a problem with digesting fruit and nuts at the same time, some people do though. I think it's the added fat that carries me over longer?

I try to have the bulk of my food fresh fruit and greens (I try to eat high raw, 100% didn't work as good for me), but if making some "raw" bread satisfies you and doesn't have a bad effect on you- I say do as Vegheathcoach suggested and use your oven. If a little raw bread or cookies makes you happy (and still healthy of course)- then do it.

• KittyKitty Raw Newbie

Kurite - "And by the way im not trying to promote meat in anyway" YES YOU ARE!! Seriously its laughable you're implying an all meat diet is beneficial to people. Whats the purpose to your posts?? I think most of us here find animal foods to be repulsive.

• I dont like meat and never crave for meat. I crave fresh fruit ,veggies, and sprouts:)

• Sciencequeen, I and many others here would recommend getting your carbs from sweet fruit rather than grains. Here's a tip, taken from my own experience. If you're craving grains or grain-based food (as I sometimes still do), eat a few pieces of sweet fruit. It fulfills your body's want, hence the cravings disappear, and fruit tastes a hell of a lot better! You can ignore me if you want, of course, if you prefer grainy stuff. :)

Kitty when did I ever say go eat some meat its good for you? One of the earlier replies by sciencequeen said that your body requires 45g of sugar a day...I disproved it by giving an example...Seeing as theres pretty much no group of people that i know of that eat only protein and fat and are vegan the only other thing I could do was mention meat. Read my earlier replies in no way did I say meat is healthy in any way.

• Raw PassionRaw Passion Raw Newbie

Dehydrating doesnt neccaserily make something a carb does it? It just makes it dry and crispy. I think theres a lot of hype and confusion surrounding carbs.

No, dehydrating in no way effects the type of energy source in food... it literally just takes water out of it. I agree that carbs are over hyped.

• Actually, I was saying that my dietitian said *anyone* would need 45g of carbohydrate per meal minimum, to maintain normal brain function.

Kurite, now quoting the article which YOU linked was your source:

"ata in childhood are unavailable, but ketosis in adults can be prevented by a daily CHO intake of about 50 g. This value appears to approximate the quantity of glucose required to satisfy minimal glucose needs of the CNS and during starvation. The Group therefore concluded that the theoretical minimum intake of zero should not be recommended as a practical minimum....about 100 g of glucose/d are irreversibly oxidized by the brain from the age of 3

Yes it says theoretically but people do it and are living...

• Just because people do it and are living, doesn't mean they are living well. True wellness is far beyond just "health".

Your statement is true however most of the zero carbers that i know about do it for health purposes and they seem to be doing great.