Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

fat free question

Is it ok to eat fat free? I've heard a lot about how we need healthy fats, but somewhere read that your body can use carbs to produce the fat it needs.

So is it alright to be primarily fat free if the rest of the diet is widely varied with lots of healthy nutrients, as well as sufficient calories?

Any opinions?

Thankyou!!

Comments

• camiheartsrawcamiheartsraw Raw Newbie

In my opinion, everyone runs a little differently - so this may or may not work for you. There isn't really a one meal plan fits all. I do very poorly without fats and I had a raw friend of mine look very shocked when I said how much nuts/seeds I ate because I'm still thin. I'm still having problems with dry skin and hair, so I have to supplement with salba oil and keep other oils in my diet. However, I also have malabsorption from a wasting disease (lupus), so it's not surprising that my body isn't breaking down things efficiently. I have other friends that eat just about all fruit, others that are on a low glycemic raw diet without sweet fruits, and then there's me and I probably get my calories fairly evening from fruits, vegetables, and nuts/seeds/oils. These diets still have some fat - even the fruit diet. There's a diet out there to suit just about anybody but no one diet works for everyone. Just my experience in life.

• Well, there's really no such thing as fat free, as there's fat in even sweet fruits. Go without overt sources of fat (avocados, nuts, seeds, coconuts, durian) for a while and see how you feel...if you feel you need to add some overt fats back in than go for it!

• kuritekurite Raw Newbie

Do not do a fat free diet its dangerous. Look it up on google theres a thousand articles about it.

• grapefruit.fanaticgrapefruit.fanatic Raw Newbie

I don't know if we *need* them, but I know that my hair and skin look a lot better when I eat at least some fat.

• I would agree that what works for some people, doesn't always work as good for others where diet is concerned (to a point). As someone mentioned, you could try the fruit and greens, not much added fat for a while and see how you feel. It is true that fruits and veggies have some fat, but much lower than nuts and such.

One of the articles Kurite posted mentions some of the possible drawbacks. I would also like to add this link for your consideration too: http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/news/veg-fat.htm

There is legit research showing the vitamins from veggies becomes more available to your body when there is some added fat to the salad. That was what convinced me to have some added fat (besides the little in fruit and greens). Plus, I feel a bit better with some.

That doesn't mean it has to be alot, or that you must gorge on nuts and avocados of course:-).

Something else to consider- low fat is dangerous for young children. Many kids today eat very high fat diets, and that can be bad. But, there have been some documented cases of vegans and raw vegan children in the news- I wonder if it was a very low fat vegan and 100% raw vegan low fat diets that were actually the problem?

Veganism is much more common now (even in children) and most seem to not have that problem. But, I remember several years ago, I believe it was in the UK? The parents were actually brought up on charges of child endangerment (or something similar) because of how malnutritioned their kids where. I believe it was a very low fat diet? I will look around on the internet and see if I can find the news articles.

Anyways, my point is NOT that veganism or raw (though I question the wisdom of 100% raw vegan for VERY young children) was unhealthy. The very low fat I believe was. Anyways, keep in mind children need more fat than us.

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

We need fat, and I think it would be nearly impossible to eat a fat-free diet of whole foods. Even most (or all?) fruits have fat. Look it up: NutritionData.com