Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

ditch shampooing?

EvaAfricaEvaAfrica Raw Newbie

I have this cry on my inside that tells me there must be a way to get rid of the shampoo routine and simply use water. My husband does it but his hair isn't long and he doesn't particularly care for good-looking hair ;-)

So is there anyone out there who has cracked it and who now boasts with beautiful shiny hair? I tried doing just the water wash daily (although I hate having to wash my hair daily even with water, it's such a burden) for a month but my hair was hard and fairly oily.

what do you think: to shampoo or not to shampoo?

Comments

• i've been about near two months off shampoo and love it.:) i feel better and hair is much better.

• Blue_EyesBlue_Eyes Raw Master

I have been off shampoo for 2 years and my hair loves me!!

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

my hair loves shampoo haha tried no poo and probably won't do it again

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

I tried water only for about 8 months, and it definitely didn't work out for me. I'm using Morrocco Method now, but it's on the pricey side and doesn't really make my hair super-great looking. I'm thinking about something like Blue_Eyes strategy of baking soda with a vinegar rinse, which I do sometimes when I feel I need to "clarify."

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I did no-poo for like 4 or 5 months (?) I forget how long now. Did not work out for me, did not like the results, even trying the baking soda wash at times and vinegar rinse.

I love my conditioner and shampooing a couple times a week.

It takes a while (about a week and a half for me) for your scalp to realize that hey she isn't fighting me anymore. So until then your hair may be greasy for while until it sees you aren't going to STRIP it again then it will stop creating so much oil and even out.

Good Luck!

• EvaAfricaEvaAfrica Raw Newbie

Cool,thanks for your replies! convinced to give it another go.

Natosha120 & Blue Eyes, is your hair soft and clean feeling like washed hair, is there any difference?

I believe mine is soft. One thing I have noticed is that before no matter how much I brushed my hair minutes later looked like I rarely brush it. Now I just brush it when I get up and most of the time it looks better in after wind then it did before with no movement at all. So Less worry about what it looks like. I mean It still messes up obviously but not to the extent as before.

I went no poo because I found I was allergic to soap. Baking soda and Vinegar all the way!! Even for laundry.

• KittyKitty Raw Newbie

I notice my hair is sooo much less oily and dirty when I eat less fat, and more fruit. I am on day 4 of no poo (and week 2 of no overts) and its amazing how it just looks freshly washed. A good transition product for me was dry shampoo. Its basically just fragranced baby powder but a little bit will soak up any oil in the first few days and as the days passed for me, I didn't even need to use it. I am in my 20's and have had extremely oily hair my whole life especially as a teenager, my parents would constantly tell me to stop washing my hair every day...so this is huge for me!!

Thanks all! Like all your input. I'm doing quite well on the no-shampoo, day 6 today, after you guys inspired me. I found brushing my hair from scalp through to the ends for at least 5 minutes daily worked to get the oiliness out. So yeah, like Kitty said, my hair sometimes even looks clean! There's some shine too.

Blue Eyes, tell me more about your baking soda laundry? I do the baking soda and vinegar mix for all my housecleaning, use vinegar as laundry softener too, but how do you do the soda instead of laundry powder?

I have some small containers about a cup in size I guess I fill one up with baking soda and put pour in the machine and that is my laundry soap, then I fill a downy ball with white vinegar and toss it in. we really do not get real dirty so I have not had any problems with stains. But I have used hydrogen peroxide in the past on stains before laundering and worked great even on stuff "products" wouldn't get out.

Good Luck and keep me posted on how you do.

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

I tried no poo back in 2008 and it was terrible! My hair was extremely greasy and just looked disgusting. I lasted for a few months and then switched to natural products (Dr. Bonners, Vermont Soap, etc.).

After a couple of years using these products, I went no poo again about 2 months ago. My hair is MUCH less oily and yucky than last time. It really doesn't look bad at all, especially if I use my bristle brush to evenly distribute the oil all over my hair (otherwise I have a big oily spot on the back of my head). It makes my hair really nice and shiny. :)

So if you just can't handle uber greasy hair for 6-12 months, you may want to switch to natural products like I did and then give it a try again after some time has past

Hope that helps,

Swayze

Mmm, Blue Eyes, our clothes get quite dirty ;-) but I'll try it and let you know!

Feedback on going no-poo:

(about 3 weeks into it now)

Going all right, juggling feelings of giving it up versus pushing through. Bought a bristle brush and scalp-massager, loving it! And tried washing my hair with vinegar to get a measure of the oiliness out of it. Worked okay.

Is baking soda better? how do I wash with baking soda, just mix in the powder in my hair?

Strong strong temptation to think that this no-pooing is for other people!

Good news though, my hair is growing out superthick, like I remembered it in my childhood!

RAW EATING IS FANTASTIC! IT RESTORES SO MUCH LIFE TO EVERY BODY PART!

EvaAfrica,

I used to use baking soda as a kind of shampoo and then vinegar as a conditioner. It works pretty well. Just mix 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of Baking soda in water and then a tablespoon or so of in another glass of water. Use the baking soda-water mixture first and then the vinegar-water mixture.

An even better method I've found is lemon juice. Squeeze 1/2 to 1 whole lemon into a big glass (a mason jar works great) and then fill it up with water. It's even easier if you just fill it up while you're in the shower.

Hope that helps,

Swayze

I use empty bottles I bought at walgreens they are like shampoo bottles. I fill one up with baking soda and add water(use what i need then the rest for next time, so i am not always mixing). I like it thick, reminds be of shampoo and body wash. So you can play with it til you get it how you want it.

At home I have a pretty lotion bottle full of ACV in the shower

i use this as shampoo and body wash. then if i feel i need conditioner i add about 10 drops appox. to the other bottle (at home I have a matching cup on the road I use the other bottle) and fill with water and after the baking soda is rinsed out i pour the whole bottle of vinegar and water thru my hair, sometimes i avoid the top. then I wash body with the baking soda and then rinse hair and body.

some days I just use water for hair and baking soda for body.

I use empty bottles I bought at walgreens they are like shampoo bottles. I fill one up with baking soda and add water(use what i need then the rest for next time, so i am not always mixing). I like it thick, reminds be of shampoo and body wash. So you can play with it til you get it how you want it.

At home I have a pretty lotion bottle full of ACV in the shower

i use this as shampoo and body wash. then if i feel i need conditioner i add about 10 drops appox. to the other bottle (at home I have a matching cup on the road I use the other bottle) and fill with water and after the baking soda is rinsed out i pour the whole bottle of vinegar and water thru my hair, sometimes i avoid the top. then I wash body with the baking soda and then rinse hair and body.

some days I just use water for hair and baking soda for body.

• greenwoodgreenwood Raw Newbie

I use an organic shampoo and conditioner. I also use a herbal hair tint on my hair as I've got some grey. I don't like those chemical hair dyes, bleach etc that the hairdressers use- ever noticed the smell wafting out of the hairdresser's door? yuk.

• Greenwood, what kind of herbal tint do you use? I'm currently testing sage tea to cover some gray but it supposedly takes a month of using it to have an effect. So I'm still waiting to see.

I mostly used liquid henna then had a herbal perm on my hair and they said not to use henna after but a vegetable colour. My Asian friend said pure henna can be used with any perm as it hasn't had anything added to it- her family in Malaysia use pure henna. She put one on my hair last year and it had been dry for 7 years and after that it was a lustrous auburn and shone!

After the perm I bought Tints of Nature hair colour- it is supposed to be permanent but it washed out after 2 months- so I know it is pretty natural. The colour was really nice. I have now bought Henna Plus- a vegetable rinse that lasts a few shampoos. I haven't used it yet- I'm sore with eczema and hairwashing and showering is painful so I'll put it on when the eczema is gone. I'm sitting in and not going out except for shopping, so it doesn't matter I'm a bit grey at the moment!

(Too sore and inflamed to be out in the sun and I need to keep my skin cool and keep moisturising it with coconut oil).

You can get these products at Beauty Naturals online- they are inexpensive.

• ras-saadonras-saadon Raw Newbie

I hardly use poo's, I usually use a mixture of aromatic oils(tea tree, eucalyptus, hemp, rosemary ect`) in my bath and soak my hair good, I have big dreads so washing them good with poo's isn't very effective anyway, sometimes I add a bit of organic hemp oil based poo, these mixtures eliminated completely my dry&itchy scalp that I used to have and my hair looks really good and healthy.

An update on my experience of trying to go no-poo:

I've given up.

Did all I could find in research and ideas, bought the boar bristle brush (great, glad I did), washed with baking soda, used vinegar, tried going for weeks without washing to see if the oiliness improves....

but alas! to no avail! I've made a quality decision to wash my hair only when needed, which

ends up being every 8th day more or less. I do use as little as possible quality shampoo only on the oily parts and I condition now beforehand from ears down and after the shampooing the entire hair length.

Hair looks good, and I feel good.

Excellent tip I read on the internet: oiling one's hair with a drop or two spread on one's hand and then applying gently to the bottom half of the hair. The shine and sheen is beautiful. It definitely makes my hair look professionally styled. AND I add vanilla oil to the olive oil mixture so my hair gives off a wonderful scent!

Awesome, EvaAfrica! Glad you found a method that works for you. :)

Swayze

I use Faith in Nature organic shampoo or a locally made natural shampoo bar (mad with oils).