Jonsi and Alex's easy raw vegan recipes- free recipe book online and video demos

greenwoodgreenwood Raw Newbie

I wasn't sure where to post this but thought I'd put it here. Their recipes are easy to make - I made the srawberry pie and it was scumptious! They are easy for beginners I think ( which I am).

http://jonsiandalex.com/recipes

You only need a knife and a blender and the food!

Comments

• Hi greenwood!

I was going to make this pie tomorrow but I am not 100% sure what "kind" of coconut the recipe is calling for. Dried? Fresh coconut meat? I haven't made a whole lot of recipes with coconut in case you can't tell!

If you could let me know what you used that would be super awesome!

• greenwoodgreenwood Raw Newbie

Here is what I used in the pie:

Dessicated coconut and ground almonds for the crust- saves having to chop up coconut meat and grind almonds and I don't have an electric blender. My friend and I made it together and he has an electric hand whisk which we used to blend the topping.

Creamed coconut and fresh strawberries for the topping ( with the coconut oil)

Jonsi and Alex used fresh but I think it is easier to use the creamed and dessicated. The coconuts we get here are always dried up hard.

It turned out delicious and I took its photo!

Let me know how you get on!

• CeidrenCeidren Raw Superstar

Wow, that's so great--Jonsi of Sigur Ros is into raw foods! I love his voice, and the videos are pretty good.

• Hi greenwood,

Thanks SO much for getting back to me so quickly! I am going to try that, assuming I can find all the right ingredients. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!

"Wow, that's so great--Jonsi of Sigur Ros is into raw foods! I love his voice, and the videos are pretty good."

I know Ceidren- his music is sublime! Check out Jonsi and Alex on you tube- they have done some music together- it was mixed in a forest in Asia with a solar powered lap top. they love animals. Have you seen their recipe videos on their website? They have Mr Rabbit sitting in their mixing bowl lol.

"Hi greenwood,

Thanks SO much for getting back to me so quickly! I am going to try that, assuming I can find all the right ingredients. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again! "

Oh yes, I'd love to know how your pie turns out. I found it delicious- it was like a cheesecake! Try an Asian foodstore for the coconut products- that's where I get mine from.

They are very cheap.Have you seen the video of them making it?

• CeidrenCeidren Raw Superstar

Yeah, I just watched the strawberry pie video with Mr. Rabbit, and it was so cute. It's been a long time since I blended up a strawberry/coconut creme like that, and it brought back memories! They were actually here in Hawaii when they made the jungle video, which was beautiful. By the way, lilikoi (as in Jonsi's song, 'Lilikoi Boy') is the Hawaiian word for passionfruit.

Ah no wonder I love Boy Lilikoi! You know how I love passion fruits...;)

Mr Rabbit is very cute- did you see it eating salad in another video? You can see a docu of them in Hawaii on their video section.The forest they stayed in is so beautiful.

• Okay, so the pie WAS delicious!

At your suggestion I just now went and watched their video. I guess it may have been helpful if I had done that in the first place!

I had a little bit of trouble when I was blending the cream because I used frozen strawberries and when I put them in my Vita-mix all of the other ingredients became hard as a rock from the cold! So I ended up taking like half the strawberries out and replacing them with non-frozen ones and adding a little bit more coconut oil and water.

In their video it looked like they just used the dried coconut for the cream too. I used the creamed coconut as you suggested greenwood, and it was great and super-creamy! I would probably use that again, although next time I will not use frozen strawberries!

Very good pie though!

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Thanks for the link greenwood, just had a quick look and the site is lovely. The recipe books is beautiful and loads of great ideas. :-)

They are awesome these young men! It was them who inspired me on my raw journey.I'm going to print the book out at some point and bind it. I really hope I'll be able to afford a blender soon so I can make more of their recipes.

PS I knew you'd like the pie Happy Raw Girl! It is like a cheesecake isn't it?