Calcium/magnesium testing for high fruit diets

I just read in a nutrition book (that wasn't about a raw diet) that very high levels of potassium that can occur from eating too much fruit and juices will deplete calcium and magnesium. I just want to suggest to anyone starting a mostly fruit diet to test for calcium/magnesium periodically. (It's probably a test most people get anyway. I don't go to the doctor in general, but I don't know what most people do.)

Also, I'm just wondering if anyone who has been on a high fruit diet for a long period has been tested for calcium/magnesium levels and calcium excretion, and if it was normal.

Comments

• rawcanadianrawcanadian Raw Newbie

i dunno, but there is calcium, magnesium and potassium in fruits and vegetables.

So if you eat whole foods then you are getting all those nutrients plus many many others.

I'm wondering why you are worried about individual nutrients on a whole foods diet??

I know that b12 is something to worry about , and it is added to a lot of junk foods like milk, and bread, cereals, etc, and when we avoid these junk foods we might not get enough of b12 so we should supplement it.

BTW did the book you read mention that (cows)milk may deplete calcium levels in our bodies as well???

• greenwoodgreenwood Raw Newbie

There is also calcium and magnesium in some vegetables, pulses, beans and nuts.

• Raw Canadian-it was in a book by Paul C. Braggs. It mentioned how bad dairy is but I assume most people on this board know that the acidity of dairy leaches calcium from the bones (along with all the other bad things about dairy.)

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Oh, Braggs, the same person/company that recommends eating vinegar and soy sauce?

Oh, Braggs, the same person/company that recommends eating vinegar and soy sauce?

• The book I read had a lot of the same advice seen often on this forum. If there are a couple disagreeable items, it's no reason to discount everything. Sometimes it seems people just want to read what they already "believe."

• kuritekurite Raw Newbie

Just because no one has ever had calcium defficiency doesn't mean that they're bones aren't weakened by certain foods.

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

thats not true durian, calcium deficiency can happen in those with decreased dietary intake, aswell as commonly low amounts of vitamin D also.

leafygreen,

what reference is the back pointing to in order to back up there claim??

If no reference, then i would disregard it.

Just because it is written in a book doesn't automatically make it "true".

Usually studies are done to see if the theory is true or false, or at least the data lines up with the idea.

Weight bearing exercises can be done to increase bone density as well, as people become older, many of them either don't exercise, or get less exercise, the pounds go on, and this becomes a problem.

I don't know if this is a concern, but you need to exercise "your whole body".

That's why I do a full-body workout twice per week, using compound moves, with assistance exercises like arm curls, calf raises, etc.

My workout takes about an hour.

You can google that and will see it is true, and the latest studies of vit D (which isn't a vitamin) say that it MAY play a more important role for strong bones than calcium.

Trying to isolate individual nutrients is not always the best idea, they work together, there are millions of combinations and chemical reactions going on.

So to sum it up, with so much going on , science really know sh*t about nutrition.

Eat whole food diets to get your nutrition and stay away from milk and don't eat abortions.

The most important nutrient in bone density is silica. Silica helps to from the collagen matrix that gives the bones their strength and flexibility.

Silica also aids in calcium absorption, and is responsible for calcium and other minerals entering the collagen matrix of bones.

This is often why as we age our bones get weaker as our stomach acid levels drop significantly, silica is an acid dependant mineral for absorption.

Just googled and can't find any studies that suggest that potassium depletes calcium/magnesium

Found this though:

http://www.chelationtherapyonline.com/anatomy/p56.htm

and if you go to bottom of article they have 16 things that deplete magnesium, and one of those thing is

#16. A high calcium diet.

Food Sources of Silican:

Beer

Beets

Bell peppers

Brown rice

Leafy green vegetables

Root vegetables

Seafood

Soybeans

Whole grains

http://www.naturalhealthtechniques.com/diet_nutrition/silicon.htm

I think i'll get mine from the beer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL just jk.

Seriously, is there a reason to worry about calcium, magnesium, potassium, silica, and the pytonutrients when we don't know sh*t about all that stuff anyway.

Yes the studies which we do have, usually say "may" do this and "may" lead to that and "may" prevent this and that.

How about eating a whole foods diet that contains all that stuff anyway, and trust mother nature that we are getting all our nutrients and go out have some fun!!!

• What exact foods can I eat to make sure I am getting enough calcium and how much should I daily eat of this food?

And what raw food contains B-12?

No raw foods will take care of your vitamin b12 needs sadly, you'll need to supplement, the best is a sublingual b12 supplement.

chia seeds are a great raw source of calcium, green leafy vegetables, if your into nuts then almonds etc contain good amounts of calcium, seaweed is also another good source.

• greenwoodgreenwood Raw Newbie

Carrots and beetroot also have calcium as do chickpeas and most beans.

fruits have calcium as well. if you get enough calories and greens, you should be getting enough calcium.

• Hey Powerlifer :) What is "sublingual" B12 - or what would be an example of a sublingual B12 supplement? The Adaptogenic Herbal supplement has a ton of B12 but I don't know if it is a good source of B12 where I could assimilated...

Hey beaglelove, do you have a link to the product in question?

Sublingual administration literally means under the tongue, its one of the most common and popular routes of b12 supplementation, most if not all health stores should be able to sort your out with a sublingual b12 supplement:).

• Hi Powerlifer, ok its by OrthoMolecular - the website is OrthoMolecularProducts.com ...

Thanks!

• P.S. Powerlifer - sorry I forgot to mention the product I take is called 'Adapten-All'...

OrthoMolecular make some good products although if i remember they can be abit expensive, that looks like a good supplement some of my favorite adaptogens in there, im not very fond of sythethic vitamins in general though id rather use food/herbal sources such as amla berry for vitamin C. That product will also contribute to helping your b12 levels:).

• Thanks Powerlifer :) Yeah, I don't rely on it for my vitamin C - I try to get it through kiwi's etc. But good to know! Thanks again!

If your eating a high fruit diet, i don't see why anybody is worrying about vitamin "C"!!!