New to Raw and Looking for Iron!

Hello all I've been checking out the forums here for a long time before going raw and I just started raw this week but I have a few questions....

What is the best source of Iron in a raw vegan diet?

Has anyone else had a problem with enemia?

I've had a problem with it even when I was vegetarian and I need to know if I'll have to take a suppliment with this. :(

Comments

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Green leafy vegetables, any whole foods like fruits and vegetables. I am high fruit low fat raw and get at least 125+% of my RDA of iron daily. Get enough calories and greens, get enough iron. Easy!

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Green leafy vegetables, any whole foods like fruits and vegetables. I am high fruit low fat raw and get at least 125+% of my RDA of iron daily. Get enough calories and greens, get enough iron. Easy!

• greenwoodgreenwood Raw Newbie

Spinach and rocket leaves, green salad leaves, cabbage- I eat lots of these as I love them. Beans also have some iron- you could sprout them- I also eat some cooked beans. Nettle leaves are also full of iron- you can get nettle tea if you like teas or collect the leaves (from an unpolluted place)- blanch them to kill the sting and eat them in a salad. Beetroot is full of iron- I grate it raw with carrots.Nettles are good for detox too.Vitamin C helps absorption- so if you are getting a lot of Vitamin C you shouldn't have an iron problem.

• rawcanadianrawcanadian Raw Newbie

BTW - 30 bananas is 51% iron

one pound spinach is 68%.

that's is 119% iron, 63% calcium, and 51g protein !!!

(63% may be enough)

• I second Greenwood on the Nettle - it is great for Iron. Spinach has a lot of iron but I've heard that the oxilates interfere with its benefits...

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

Nettle leaf is one of my favorite all round herbs for general health, supportive to the adrenals, thyroid, kidneys, liver, connective tissue. Good for many disorders such as anemia, rich in minerals. I prefer to take as a powder, tea is fine just the heat destroys some of the vitamins.

I take it you have been diagnosed anemic then Juicebox if so what did your doctor say? There are many different causes, decreased dietary iron the most common. The guys have covered the best iron sources so no need to expand on that:).

"Nettle leaf is one of my favorite all round herbs for general health, supportive to the adrenals, thyroid, kidneys, liver, connective tissue. Good for many disorders such as anemia, rich in minerals. I prefer to take as a powder, tea is fine just the heat destroys some of the vitamins."

Hey powerlifer I could just eat the dried leaves off the teaspoon couldn't I? I really don't like it as a tea- it's a struggle to drink it- brewing it, letting it go cold and adding fruit juice to disguise the tea taste. If I ate it off the spoon swallowed with juice/water, that'd be quicker and would it have the bitter herb action ?

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

Hey greenwood, you could do that no problem i dont find it easy though to swallow any herbs so what i do is put the half - 1 teaspoon dosage in a little water maybe an ounce or so, mix as best possible and swallow i find this easiest for consumption of any herbal powder.

Same with spirulina, chlorella and such the way many people do it hiding it in there smoothies makes me gag lol, i used to do it this way but its vile drinking jugs worth of green sludge, so i find it easier just to put the little amount you need, the ounce of water and slam it back. Sort of like an alcohol shot but healthy lol.

But yeah nettle leaf is one of my top 10 herbs for general health and so available. But yeah your method is really no problem:).

What I've done with the dried dandelion leaves is to take them in my mouth off the spoon then swallow with some water.It went down easy. I don't like green sludge drinks nor tea lol.

The dandelion and nettle leaves I got are 90p a bag and organic- bargain! I'm eating my flax powder fine too- taking it off the desert spoon- if my mouth is dry I just drink a little water then it goes a bit chewy like a soft biscuit. It tastes nutty so I find it nice to eat- I love nuts.I'm eating a little omega seed mix too. Squiggel the squirrel who comes to my window gets some of the seeds too as a treat. She is very cute and I give her black sunflower seeds and cherries, and have a little bowl of water out for her. Squiggel and I have a mutual admiration of nuts and seeds. :)

By the way can you tell me how the kidney's adrenal glands link in with the liver- how the bitter herbs work? I'm all for passing this on to other eczema sufferers. Thanks.

• Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Dont know how good I will be for finding nettle although I was planning on headed out for a hike and getting to know whats out there for roots and leaves. Nettles sounds amazing I've heard lots about them but nothing about iron. I'll give them a try.

I figure getting on board with the idea of eating salads (just that's all I can eat over at friends places now) I just like to keep things new and fresh I've been trying kale instead of just lettuce leaves (they're local and cheap for organic this time or year) Well hopefully when I go back for more blood work I wont get a lecture again. Hahaha.