RAW camping?

Hey everyone. I'm going camping this weekend (No camper, just a tent) I'll be gone for 3 days, and we are taking a cooler. My question is, what is the best way to eat raw while camping. I won't be able to make anything since we are going to be in tents and we won't be near grocery stores. I'm thinking lots of fruits and pre packed/made salads, but any advice would be fantastic?

Comments

• Fruit is voluminous, heavy and easily damaged in transit (which is why it's so expensive in shops!), so if you're bringing food and don't have much leeway for weight I'd recommend sprouts, especially buckwheat. Do you know anything about foraging? Depending on where you camp it may or may not be feasible to live off wild food for a few days, but do keep in mind that wild plants are much more nutrient-dense, even if it seems like a small quantity at first. And of course, it's vital to know what not to eat!

• camiheartsrawcamiheartsraw Raw Newbie

Foraging is such a great skill to have! I need to learn the ways...

Since I don't know how to forage, I would just add that salads are great IF you keep the dressing in a separate container. The oils in most dressings (and acids) break down the food faster than if the two are kept in separate containers. Whole foods are usually the way to go and then a cutting board and knife.

There are usually farms near where we are camping that carry fresh fruits...yum...

Dried foods and nuts are good, but if I don't know that I enjoy them rehydrated with water - but it is easier on the stomach and you get a better idea of the true volume being consumed.

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

I haven't been, but Turqoise Barn (http://www.turquoisebarn.com/) sent over this answer to your questions (on Twitter):

Camping at Turquoise Barn - get a raw breakfast prepared or use the kitchen in the hostel - hot running water and flush toilet 2!

• oranges (might be heavy, however) are great for traveling...they keep pretty well, they don't get ruined easily the way bananas and apples and such do. melons would probably work well too, but they are bigger, so it depends how much you're willing to bring.

if you're able to at least prepare food, like cut it up and what not, you could bring whole pineapples, too.

raisins and other dried fruit.

I'd say nuts too, but I actually find that I don't like eating nuts while traveling... they don't seem to agree with me the same way when I'm not in my normal environment, and when I'm on the "go"

oranges though... I seriously pretty much lived off of oranges when I was in Florida for a week... I felt good! I usually find that when I travel I don't feel like I need to eat as much and literally can't eat as much without feeling ill, but I don't know how that all works for you.

• If you're car camping (not backpacking), you'll have a lot of leeway. Fruit doesn't damage easily if you pack it well. Put things like bananas, apples, oranges, stone fruit, etc. in paper bags and make sure you put them in the car in a place where they won't get squashed. Cut fruit stored in containers in a cooler works, too.

You can wash and tear up a pile of greens, dry them well, and store them in a large ziplock bag in the cooler. Have another bag/container of chopped veg and assemble salads as you go. A container of pate or spread and a bag of washed and dried large leaves (collard, chard) makes for a nice wrap.

I find that when I camp, I eat more. All of that hiking, kayaking, etc. makes you hungry so you might appreciate a few heavy-ish things to eat. The more you prep before you go, the easier it'll be at the campsite. I wouldn't rely on being able to purchase anything near the campground, though. I've camped all over central and southern California (coastal, desert, Sierras) and I've not found it easy to get fresh, raw food.

• The RawtarianThe Rawtarian Raw Superstar

Lots and lots and lots of bananas and handfuls of nuts!!

Have fun!

Laura-Jane

• you could get those canned fruits or berries (they're definately easy to transport). but make sure they're the freshest variety because there's a lot of additives in some of the canned stuff and others-the good ones- are just marinated in the natural juices of the fruit.

have fun camping :)

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

Bananas, dates, and other dried fruits for the bulk of your calories. Then you could bring some easy to pack, but lower calorie fruits like oranges and apples. Nuts are good as well in limited quantities.

I would probably bring some mangoes, but they aren't really the best for traveling. I just love them so much! :)

Swayze