Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

had to go back to cooked - can someone help?

Comments

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

re: "some people don't like 8/11 preaching," if what i suggest is in line with 8/1/1, then that is a coincidence because i'm simply suggesting what works best for me and trying to listen to waht tahiti says and see waht the problem is. do you think you have more of a stance or your opinion is more valid because you are anti-8/1/1? I don't think so. you've come to your own conclusions, and you're free to give advice as well. i wouldn't be so rude as to discourage you from posting, and please don't do the same to me.

how do you do on pineapple, tahiti? grapes? melons?

• CeidrenCeidren Raw Superstar

It isn't a coincidence when you automatically tell someone to read the 8/11 book. What works best for me or you does not work best for everyone else, so I don't personally recommend that. I'm not against 8/11, actually, just against pushing it's dogma. This thread is about Tahiti, so I suggest this not go any further.

Anyway, it's good that you could digest some berries, Tahiti. I believe dandelion is one of the bitter herbs, and quite easy to get.

I suggest, if you don't want to go off-topic, that you don't attempt to side-track this thread into pushing your dogma of not wanting people to recommend a book that you seem to not want to recommend. Thanks. I think it's pretty obvious who's judgmental or not, considering the recommendation of a book caused you to try to persuade other members to not post, called it "preaching" and discouraged fair participation. I don't see how far that mindset is going to get you.

Nice try at obfuscating the issue; naturally you couldn't possibly be the problem. Unlike you, I don't demand to know what people's diets are in order to blame their health problems on anything contained therein which is not 8/11, nor do I try to make people feel bad for posting threads if they don't like what I have to say. One thing I've learned is that when people are sick, they don't like to have their diet judged harshly or to argue, so you might not make a fuss over what answer they want to give you and just chill out. I stand by my original comments; last words.

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

Dandelion, Gentian are some bitter herbs i dont care for the stimulant laxative or berberine containing bitters such as goldenseal etc.

Remember they must come in contact with the back of the tongue so they have to be in liquid or powder form.

I don't see myself making a fuss, nor am I upset or need to "chill out."

It's not just 8/1/1 followers or observers that realize that high-fat diets are bad for digestion, and it's not limited to the raw-food world. My posts to the OP, which are unedited (fixed typo) which anyone can see, say things like "sounds like" and then ask a question. I don't say "you are" or "you have," nor do I pass any judgment. Your perception of judgment is very telling, Ceidren. Please, in the future, don't take your own issues with other people or yourself, and attempt to place those issues in my posts or in my mind, as I don't have that ego problem.

Ceidren, I'm curious, why do you think I posted in this thread and asked questions of the OP, if not to try to help them? Do you think I make money off of the 80/10/10 book? Do you think I make money when I post? Do you judge other people's posts such as mine or only low-fat raw foodists? Or only people who have read or suggest the 80/10/10 diet?

• hey everyone

thanks for the advice. i was drinking a lot of dandelion green juice over the last few months so i'm good with the bitterness of them. i'm going to try another green juice tomorrow.

i got the nature's biotics today and i'm absolutely overjoyed to say that today has been fully raw with ZERO problems!! i'm so happy but know i can't overdo things so going to take it easy. my husband offered to make me a cooked meal for dinner and i just had a feeling it'd be ok to have something raw!

i may have come across quite curt with you superfood2 because i'm so used to the retort of 'read 80/10/10' by those following that diet and in my experience there are people that follow 811 that are very dogmatic and its the answer to everything. its easy for threads on most raw forums to turn in to pro/anti 811 exchanges. i understand you were coming from a place of wanting to help and thank you. i don't however eat those kinds of fruits.

fingers crossed i'm actually over the worst of it. neem tastes disgusting tho :)

thanks everyone, you've really helped

That's nice of you to say, Tahiti. I appreciate our interaction as well. Just to clarify any assumptions, I don't call myself a 8/1/1 follower; I call myself a low-fat raw vegan. First and foremost, I am a vegan for ethical reasons, always. I find the 80/10/10 book to be good for many more things than just eating a high-fruit diet (which I understand you may not want to do, now, from subsequent posts, and I respect that), namely: food combinations, importance of eating greens, importance of eating enough calories, trying to be stimulant/salt-free or lessening those items, importance of physical activity, sleep, and sunlight, etc. to name some of them. :)

I also like Becoming Vegan, but I haven't read the Raw version yet. Anyone read it?

• the_chumanathe_chumana Raw Newbie

Sounds like its time to fast! Have you read Fasting can save your life? Its by Dr. Shelton.

• the_chumanathe_chumana Raw Newbie

Tahiti- I read in one of your posts that you don't eat fruit. Is this true? If so, why? Do you understand the basic metabolic requirements of your body? Do you eat a variety of leafy greens? If fruit doesn't 'feel good' to eat, then you have some internal issues that must be dealt with. I recommend trying fasting. RESEARCH it first! In my opinion, you need at least 75% of your calories from fruit and at least 10% from greens. LIMIT fat intake from nuts and seeds. How many calories does your body require? Are you eating enough calories? Are you aware of proper food combining rules? If not, this could be the reason your digestion is out of order. I think you need to go back to the basics. Monomeals, with FRUIT, green smoothies with ONLY bananas and greens, salads with only greens and an herb (cilantro, basil, etc). The simpler you make it for your digestion, the easier it will be to heal AND to discover what foods make you sick. If they all make you sick, its DEFINITELY time to fast. You can take mini-fasts to help with your digestion.

• hi there

thanks for taking the time to post i appreciate it. yes fasting did come in to my mind at first and for a few days i was fasting from 8pm until 3-4pm but not anything longer term.

I eat fruit but only low GI fruits like berries because sugar affects my acne condition. i'm happy to give you more information if you REALLY REALLY need to find out about it but suffice to say i know my body and my skin very well. i didn't want to even mention this but i've done 811 3 times and it was a total disaster for me. didn't do well on it at all. where i live is very, very wet. it rains a lot. not only that but it's cold. cold and wet and the only fruit that grows here is apples and berries. ain't no mangoes about and the environment is not conducive to eating a high fruit diet. don't really want to talk about all that stuff anyway if that's cool :)

I think there can be a lot of misunderstanding and confusion in the raw food movement particularly from 811ers or those following a similar diet that those people that don't follow that raw way of eating are sitting at home gorging on gourmet food and seeds, nuts, avos and oil! :) i am not a high fat eater, i probably have 1/2 avo - maybe 1 avo a day and a perhaps a hemp seed milk with a handful of brazil nuts occasionally and with very minimal oil and maybe some coconut butter.

I do follow excellent food combining because i have to for my skin anyway so that's not an issue. i eat enough calories to lead a semi active and healthy life.

i think mini-fasts are good. last month i toyed with fasting from 4pm till 8am and i had the most sound sleep i've ever had. think i'll go back to that :)

Seriously, I don't think my "way" or "type" of raw eating is at fault here in fact i'm sure of it now.

Thanks again for your help everyone x

I'm not calling into question your "type" of raw. It's just a question - how many calories do you eat a day? I remember a long, long time ago, I had a period where I ate nothing but granola bars or bread for days on end, and next time I ate, I didn't feel well. Not saying that similar example is your case, but my stomach was upset by the caloric restriction.

• I wasn't having a go, just picking up on semantics really :)

I really don't count my calories. I just eat till satisfied and that does me fine.

yes granola bars and bread sounds pretty heavy for digestion, surprising that you'd think it was caloric restriction that caused the upset though, i'd have said it was the ingredients in those things?

Oh, no, that was at the time eating the diet my parents decided for us.....digestion was EASIER for granola bars and bread compared to what I used to eat. :)

That's putting it very nicely. :)

• greenwoodgreenwood Raw Newbie

I hope you feel better soon tahiti- poor you ((((hugs))).I know what it is like to have bad digestion- I used to get GERD really bad and cured it with certain herbs and since going vegan last summer I still didn't get GERD but did get a lot of wind- since cutting out dairy it got better still and since going high raw vegan my digestion is the best yet.I can eat TONS of salad with a whole raw pepper. And have nuts, fruits and seeds. I don't eat broccoli or cauli raw but steam them. And also steam potatoes and sweet potatoes.

I cannot shed any light on what your problem is as I haven't come across this before(and I'm new to raw myself), but yes good advice to see a naturapath or herbalist. Maybe also try a food intolerance test as that might be the problem. Since I cut out my intolerances my tummy feels lovely and calm. You could try chamomile tea, also meadowsweet- they are calming and good for the tummy. Fennel tea is brilliant for gas and bloating. Strange how you could eat raw before and then could only manage cooked foods (I'm not against cooked wholefoods by the way- have some myself).I haven't any idea why. Did you ever have digestive problems before you went raw? It's good that you are getting better x

p.s you are brave having dandelion- I couldn't bear the taste.I only managed it a few times!

• Can you survive on eating only veggies?

Ive been having problems eating fruit too, I get really bloated just by eating some strawberries, I noticed though I cooked some veggies and quinoa and I didnt get bloated at all I feel much better eating no sugar now. Can it be candida? how do you know if you have it? I love fruit and now im scared to eat it because it will make me get sick:/ I get gas and gurgling in my stomach when I eat fruit.

• could of I over did it mabey, eating too much fruit? I ate only fruit no greens etc. Only now I addded in cooked green veggies, and I feel better . Mabey I irritated my stomach and now it doesnt want to know any fruit:/

More likely low stomach acid with bloating and gas due to increased fermentation.

Bitter herbs are your friend.

• is there an easy to dogest fruit? Is there any other veggie or fruit that increases stomach acid?

Apparently lemons reduce stomach acid.If you hace acidity I recommend some herbal teas like meadowsweet and chamomile and taking slippery elm.I find fruit very easy to digest. I only eat it on an empty stomach by itself though- fruit with fruit. I don't eat my salad and then have fruit after. I eat the fruit first and wait 30 mins or so for it to pass through.

• I think thats the problem, I like eating the cooked veggies and then having fruit. I like mixing , is there a fruit that you can easly eat with veggies?

I have found having fruit then vegetables is fine. I meant starches really- I'm high raw so I do have some rice or potatoes with salads- not every one but a few times a week. Some vegeetables we eat are actually fruits- eg tomatoes and peppers so they are fine to eat not long after eating fruit. The reasoning behind it is that fruit digests very quickly so then if we eat starches and nuts (which take longer to digest) not long after eating fruit the fruit sits in the gut fermenting on top of the other food and cannot get down as quickly as it wants. Fermenting causes the gas and bloating.If you find you can eat fruit and an hour or so later eat cooked vegetables without any discomfort then that's ok and keep doing that.I'm fine with that myself. I won't eat fruit then eat starches not long after.

• Great replies, i've really enjoyed reading other's experiences. I never had any problems with digestion prior to raw. I think my husband is thinking raw causes me more problems than it solves right now but he's not said anything :)

I've never had any problems with fruit with the exception of acne from the sugars. I do like fruit I just choose not to eat it because when I do I break out. But yes, when I badly combine my foods or eat faster to digest after the slower to digest foods then my belly swells and I have tonnes of gas - not pleasant :)

I think some things fair better when slighly cooked e.g. sprouted chickpeas don't seem to digest for me as well as cooked ones. I guess it's swings and roundabouts, some people have very strong digestion and others have weaker but you do need to watch you don't overburden your system.

As for me, happy to say that I (touch wood) seem to be back to being able to eat raw HOORAY!! For some reason I'm off avocadoes but everything else seems tickety boo.

Still keeping up with the nature's biotics and finding them really helpful. Good bacteria must be winning the war :)

Great news tahiti! Maybe you just had a virus and it had to detox out. Or maybe it is a fat problem as you are having a little prob with avocadoes and it seemed to come on when you had coconuts, just a thought. Some people have problems digesting fats.What's in nature's biotics? It sounds brilliant.

PS Are you British? Tickety boo is a phrase sometimes used here. :)

If probiotics are working via natures biotics then fermented foods would be an even stronger choice such as water kefir, cultured veggies etc.

You still need to feed the good bacteria via prebiotic fibres such as seaweeds, rice bran, fos, inulin(present in many fruits/vegs etc).

• ha ha yeah i'm UK, haven't used that phrase in a while.

natures biotics is a blend of probiotics - here's some info here

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:_ZivYiI6dw4J:www.stepstoperfecthealth.co.uk/products/natures_biotics.htm+nature's+biotics&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

just noticed it says not to take parasite killers with it - oops! there goes the neem for a bit then, can't say i'm too fussed as it tastes horrid.

yeah fermented foods are definitely a good thing! still got some kraut but need to get some more on the go soon. i haven't made kefir in a while.

it could've been the coconut fat i guess, whatever it is i'm hoping it never returns :)

I thought you might be in Britain but the coconuts threw me as I've never come across good ones here, and certainly not the white Thai ones- where did you get them from? I'm up in Liverpool and we have a great little organic shop called Windmill in Wavertree - I get a

kefir is a fermented drink, water kefir is decent like. You have to watch sauerkraut and store bought kefir/cultured veggies as they can be useless and processed.

Its quite easy to tell if it was fat/bile as your stools will be pale/tan coloured.

It's so easy to make your own kraut--you just knead vegetables with a few teaspoons of salt, pack them tightly in a jar, make sure they are submerged under the brine that comes up, and wait a few weeks. That's all; no need to buy it as long as you have a bit of time. There is some good information on it at this site:

http://wildfermentation.com/resources.php?page=vegetables