Edamame

What is a raw foodists' take on eating raw edamame? Although it is not a processed form of soy, it is still a soy protein. Is it harmful to consume large quantities of it? For the past couple of days my body feels like it thrives on it, and I eat about a full bag a day of uncooked, thawed edamame. Is this too much soy to be consuming although it is in it's natural state? I do not eat any other soy, except nama shoyu, but I would like to know if this much soy is digestible or if it slows down the process. I would like to continue eating it for protein and I like how I can eat an entire bag and feel full but still light, holding me over for hours before my next meal. Thoughts? Thanks!

Comments

• If you like it and feel satisfied after eating it, continue eating it. I wouldnt stop eating it and then turn to some other food that will make you feel sick. Enjoy it .

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

Theres no problems with soya anyway, most of the contravesy comes from the meat/dairy industry.

Especially the phytoestrogen claims, phytoestrogens are weak acting compounds which lock up the receptors so more harmful estrogens arent metabolised.

• Thank you for the responses! I greatly appreciate it! :)

• I was under the impression that frozen edamame (shelled) had been cooked first. So, I checked it out and discovered that in the U.S., at least, it is not. The beans are mechanically extracted from the pods. This is good news because I love edamame and have no problem with unprocessed or minimally processed soy. Thanks for bringing this up Eloisa!

Here's more info...

http://agsyst.wsu.edu/edhrv.html

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

I actually did quite a bit of research on this out a short time ago; as far as I could find, every manufacturer of organic edamame sold in the US does in fact blanch (i.e. cook) the beans before packaging. This includes Cascadian Farms and Seapoint Farms (which I think is the most common organic edamame in the US).

I'm not saying that's bad; I just think you should be aware that unless you buy fresh, you really can't get "raw" edamame.

PS - The blanching has nothing to do with removing the beans from the pod; many vegetables are typically blanched before being frozen.