Help!!

I've been seeing a guy that is a raw vegan, that as of the other day when I said I'd make dinner on Saturday night, said he is also eliminating all fat from his diet including nuts, avocado, etc. I am all about being vegetarian, and I've learned to appreciate going raw with him sometimes BUT I really need help to come up with a wonderful dinner for Saturday night that meets the above standards. I've gone to the library and done a ton of online searches, but most everything has some form of a nut in it. Then it got me thinking, doesn't our body need some fat or maybe not? I would be intrigued to hear any thoughts.

Thanks!!!!

Comments

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Greens and fruits have fat in them, so if he ate no avocado, nuts, or oils, his diet would still have about 5% of calories from fat, GOOD FATS! :)

I would suggest maybe zucchini pasta with a sun-dried tomato sauce made from sun-dried tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, a date or two, lemon juice, basil. I assume he doesn't eat salt, either, which is great!

Or maybe do a salad with greens and mango/mint or a salad with greens and pears/dates.

you'll think of something. Go to the produce aisle. That's where the answer always lies. :)

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

That's funny, I'm actually dating someone who isn't a raw vegan! I brought a salad over a couple weeks ago for dinner and he LOVED it. All that's in it is bib lettuce (about 6 ounces), one spiralized English cucumber, and 3 mangoes chopped. Now we always have some variation of this whenever we have dinner together. :)

You can easily change up the salad by using a different sweet fruit, adding different non-sweet fruits like tomatoes or bell pepper, and using different lettuces. You could also add other tasty ingredients such as sundried tomatoes, lemon or lime juice, cilantro, etc. without adding any overt fats or salt.

Swayze

• Thank you for such wonderful suggestions. How does one spiralize a cucumber? I will check out your site too... thanks!

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

i have that one, too!

• Ha I continue to learn so much about the depth of raw veganism. No clue spiralized fruits and vegetables were so exciting. Thank you again for everyone's help. After looking at endless recipes, I had decided on a veg pasta and salad dish until he made some random comment about having to eat salad and how that's not really food to him (meaning it's not filling). So he'll still enjoy my salad (mandatory fun), but I've also added a smoothie and saw some awesome recipe for a date apple dessert thing... While it's been a lot of effort, strictly because I am new to this scene, I have really learned a lot and absolutely enjoyed all of it. Plus I now find myself eating an obscene amount of fruit and trying fruits at the store I had no clue existed!

Thanks again... you're all awesome!

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Just wanted to say that I think it's lovely you've made such an effort for you guy.

My BF is great but has never once tried making a raw meal for me.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

Our diet does need some fat in it. You don't have to eat lots of fat, but some fats once in awhile are important for brain function. According to Becoming Raw, the people with the most deficiencies on a raw diet were the people who followed a low fat diet. So you are right. I'd make a salad and put some fats on the side for you.

• Thank you so much everyone for the advice. I made an awesome zucchini pasta and tomato sauce dinner, salad, and the most rockin apple pie I have ever had vegan or otherwise. My lesson that I learned was that I could've heated up the "pasta" and sauce instead of the ice cold that I served it at... oops. Bless his heart he ate all of it and claimed to love it. I know he loved the pie too, because after his slice he just took a fork to the rest of the pie. Where are some good resources on low-fat raw vegan versus just raw vegan versus vegan.

He tends to obsess on one particular thing and right now it's low-fat raw veganism which I am totally fine with as long as it is healthy. He looks so drawn and thin lately, and the other day his eyes were yellow. When I asked him, he said it was just recovering from the cooked food I had made (and he chose to eat) the week prior. He is sick with a cold this week which is apparently because my house was too cold for sleeping last week... ha, ha. Yes, he is a big baby too... that isn't vegan that's just being male (just teasing). I'm a vegetarian, and I have been vegan before, so I am understanding, but I just want it to be healthy. He would only talk or consider information coming from a fellow raw vegan person. Any thoughts on that would be greatly appreciated as well.

Happy Friday tomorrow!