is it possible to gain weight on 80/10/10?

like if someone where to eat 3,000 calories of fruit (not including avocados & coconut) in a day & do no excercise would they gain weight?

is it possible to gain weight on just fruit?

Comments

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

Well durianrider thinks not, that any excess calories would gain weight.

I live with science and if you arent expending the nutrients then an excess will always gain you weight whether from fruit, burgers etc it doesnt matter its the excess calories that does.

durianrider always talks about raw bodybuilders but if his theory that those on 8/1/1 cant gain weight is correct then those who bodybuild on 80/10/10 cant which is nonsense.

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

If the person required that many calories (i.e. he/she were carrying around a lot of excess weight, were exceedingly tall) then I imagine he/she would not. Otherwise, the person would likely gain some weight.

That said, it is very difficult to overeat on fruit (unless you are eating nothing but dates all day) because the high sugar, fiber, and water content make it so satiating. And even if you do eat more than you need on a low fat raw vegan diet, you will not gain the amount of weight that you would eating standard fare because you are avoiding toxic substances such as meat, cheese, milk, salt, etc.

Durianrider's message is a good one, especially those of us struggling with disordered eating: if you want to avoid cravings and binges, eat as much fruit as you care for.

This may not be 3000 calories (I know it certainly isn't for me), but as long as you are eating as much as you want to satisfy your hungry, then it's enough. And don't forget to be active! :)

Swayze

To get fat you must gain weight, you have said numerous times you cant get fat on a 80/10/10 low fat high fruit diet. So if you cant gain weight then it will be impossible bodybuilding on this diet?

There are many ripped 80/10/10ers but thats easy to achieve all you need is a low percentage of bodyfat, you might have never lifted a weight in your life but you lower your bodyfat you end up with muscles showing and looking vascular even if you have little or no muscle. Much like bruce lee at one point his bodyfat was extremely low but he had little or no muscle. But from the appearance many think hes buff etc.

To date ive not seen one big or even semi-big 80/10/10 bodybuilder, but that doesnt mean it cant be done. Your so damn over confident in yourself and top level bodybuilding minus the steroids is harder than it looks, why dont you switch over to bodybuilding and show us how big your going to be durian?

Endurance sports are much different from anaerobic sports, so how you manage to collerate that you'd be great at the other is beyond me again. Just over-inflated ego really like from the other thread you think your better than everyone else.

I said little or no muscle mass you took that quote and changed it, bruce lee was known to be a chronic overtrainer who was bordering on anorexic at times. He liked to have his body fat dangerously low at some points for his movies. Not that he didnt look good but he didnt have alot of muscle mass at all. At one point he did bulk up abit though and there is a picture of it.

If you think bruce lee was muscly then no wonder you think doug is pro bodybuilder material. You get a skinny chinese male or kid to lower there bodyfat drastically they will also have the ripped muscle look no matter if they have any substantial muscle mass or not.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

uhm, how about durianrider lives his life the way he wants to? i doubt a suggestion from a stranger on the internet that he lift and not do as much cardio will cause his desires to change.... he is who he is. no one has anything to prove, as far as i'm concerned.

getting fat and gaining weight are two distinct things.

Im not saying he has to lift am i? He can do what he wants, hes often the one to tell everyone else how to live so not sure where your coming from?

All im saying is bruce lee didnt have much muscle mass. My post before that was because durian was saying he could be a top bodybuilder no problem because hes good at endurance sports all i was saying is there is no cross-over just because hes good at cardio doesnt mean he'll be good at weight lifting. No ones telling him to do anything.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

in what context do you think durianrider is "telling others how to live"? because he posts replies when people ask for advice. if someone asks for advice, i assume they want answers, and not conditioned upon what the answer says. yes, some people would lOVE to hear that they can eat all the fat they want and somehow have a nice body or lower cancer risk. he also makes videos, but no one is forced to watch them.

• RawEverythingRawEverything Raw Newbie

"All im saying is bruce lee didnt have much muscle mass"

True but the two finger push up require a lot of strength:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Lee

"Lee performed one-hand push-ups using only the thumb and index finger."

I still need 6 fingers for 20 push up's 8(.

• Blue_EyesBlue_Eyes Raw Master

You guys are entertaining!

But the question was not about muscle mass it was about weight lol.

There is no reason to argue I have learned much from all of you.

Hugs to you all!

OH and to wow_yourecool, I think if you were underweight to begin with you would gain weight maybe, depending on your metabolism but other than that I think you would be ok.

Yawn once again superfood what i meant was that if you dont follow durians ways the way he posts is thats the only way to live, the only way to be raw. There are multiple different styles of being raw such as gourmet, moderate fat etc. Not everyone is 80/10/10. Anyway this post isnt about this. You posted that because i said if he thinks hes gonna be such as a great bodybuilder then why doesnt he give it a bash.

Raweverything dont get me wrong im a big bruce lee fan:), being as he was one of the reasons i got into martial arts at such a young age and some of the things he was capable of fitness and skill wise was brilliant. I just didnt think he had much muscle mass at all and its fairly evident from his pictures and his biographys that he was a chronic overtrainer and lowered his bodyfat to unhealthy levels for his movies.