my period left me! Also, fasting with broken bones

hey guys! I have a couple questions for you. Ive been 100% raw since the end of July, and was 90% for June and July and 100% for May, and in July I randomly lost my period. In March, I stopped taking birth control, and March - May isn't really enough time for me to know what my normal periods look like. So I don't know what's going on. I've always had extremely light periods, and my period in may and June were pretty much not there, they came for one day and there was pretty much no blood. I figure that's because I had no waste to dispose of because I was raw.

I saw the doctor, and he said that some women naturally only get their period 3 times a year, I'm thinking I must be one of them? I figure it can't be that I'm missing nutrients or starving myself, because I feel wonderful and healthy and my bloodwork has all come back fine. I wouldn't say I'm exactly WORRIED about this, just curious about what you all think or if you've had similar experiences. (Oh, and, I'm definitely not pregnant!)

Also, I wanted to ask some things about fasting. I have decided I want to try doing a water fast. 2 weeks ago I broke a couple bones in my face, and they operated last week and everything is good now, but I'm not fully healed. Because of this, I haven't been exersising (usually I get a lot of excersise) so fasting at a time like now would be a good idea. At the same time, I don't want to not give my body enough nutrients and then slow down the healing process and set myself back. I only want to be as healthy as i can be! :)

thanks

Comments

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

This is quite common in the raw movement do a search with the box at the top and you'll get some good information on past threads we've had on it here.

The main conclusion seems to be that those are either under-eating or are lacking certain nutrients such as iodine, vitamin D, even fats which are needed for hormone production.

Hope that helps abit.

I forgot to write about the fasting at this point in time i would be trying to get all the nutrients you can aswell as the bones need nutrients to heal so that alone wouldnt be the best of times to fast. Your bones will be needing extra nutrition from silica etc. Silica which is the main bone building nutrient found in green leafy vegetables, seaweeds, nettle leaf.

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

jamille, I stopped taking BC pills last November, after having been on them for 10 years. I didn't get my period for 6 months and the first couple ones were very light and short. It's now October (10 months later) and they are starting to get back to normal.

• hikurohikuro Raw Newbie

Very light or lack of periods seem common on the low fat raw diet, so I wouldn't necessarily assume too few calories/lack of nutrients, but it certainly doesn't hurt to make sure you're not missing anything/eating too little. I agree with powerlifter on the fasting, I would think that your body would have to take in nutrients in order to repair itself effectively.

• I have heard of similar problems after going off the pill. I would reconsider fasting for now- and sure you are eating enough and getting enough nutrients. I'd suggest www.SweetWheat.com/blog when you have a spare moment because it has some informative nutrition articles.

• I have heard of similar problems after going off the pill. I would reconsider fasting for now- and sure you are eating enough and getting enough nutrients. I'd suggest www.SweetWheat.com/blog when you have a spare moment because it has some informative nutrition articles.

• Blue_EyesBlue_Eyes Raw Master

Fasting during healing of broken bones is FANTASTIC!! But I recommend Juice Fasting to get all the nutrients you need.

Fasting provides your body with the energy to heal properly by putting the digestive system to sleep and using all that energy towards detox and repair. When you are not fasting most of your energy goes to digest food.

A Great site for you is freedomyou.com

Oh and do not worry about your period missing, actually bleeding during that time is a form of detox so you can pretty much say you have less toxins in your body. YAY!!, but of course always rule out any other problems you may be having first!!

Wish you all the Best!!

• the_chumanathe_chumana Raw Newbie

I agree

1 Read "Fasting can save your life" by Herbert Shelton. You can fast with broken bones. You will heal FASTER. I would do a full fast, just taking water. But you should really read up on it. Some people are more comfortable with juices, some with water.

Juice fasting yeah, but i can fail to see any reason why water fasting would help heal your bones when you wouldnt be intaking any of the nutrients such as silica, vitamin d, boron, calcium, certain amino acids, minerals etc which are needed for bone repair.

Water fasting is the ultimate but we live in such a toxic world it is hard to do. Your body IS a miracle in and of itself!

The hardest part of living is realizing that everything is just an illusion and that we already have everything we need. We ARE everything we need, Everything else is just learning tools.

I know water fasting is a good tool for giving your body/organs a much needed rest especially in those who eat heavily refined diets or have toxic accumulation or other problems.

But in this case of bone healing i cant see it being a good idea at all, your bones will be crying out for extra nutrients to help heal the bone.

• the_chumanathe_chumana Raw Newbie

During a fast your body relies on reserves. Water is consumed as needed. Your body does everything while you rest. Expels toxins, clears up skin, heals past injuries, cleanses organs, etc. All while consuming only water. There is actual research to prove it. There is also research to prove that juice dieting (as it is called), does the same but at a much slower rate. You may also experience hunger pangs with juices that you would not feel with actual fasting. I personally have never fasted more then a week. I like to fast 3-5 days total every month. I am never hungry on day 2. You really must study it before fasting. In good health, you should NOT fast for more then a week without supervision. You might need supervision... RESEARCH IT.

Yeah i have fasted in the past and know the above, i had some good success with both water and juice fasting before adrenal fatigue issues which caused hypoglycemia which meant i couldnt fast.

But in the case of healing bones, i cant see anyway that stopping nutrient intake at a time when your bones are demanding nutrients to heal is a good idea. Its the same with old age and declining stomach acid thus lower silica absorption why people get ostereoporsis.

Im not saying fasting isnt good as ive had success with it and know of many others who have also just in some cases its likely not a good idea such as the above, hypoglycemia, anorexia, malabsorption etc.

I had adrenal fatigue and hypoglycemia due to medications and food allergies. And Fasting was part of the healing process. I would Highly recommend it for everything. Especially hypoglycemia and adrenal fatigue juice fasting is good for those circumstances

My malabsorption was due to gluten intake.

Juice fasting possibly but the massive insulin spikes without the fiber to slow down absorption, im not a great believer, infact pure fructose/glucose hits to the liver have been proven to be a contributing factor in non alcoholic fatty liver disease. But thats another discussion.

Theres countless evidence out there that water fasting is very harmful to those who suffer from hypoglycemia.

I forgot to post there are two types of hypoglycemia, theres rebound/acute hypoglycemia which is caused by a chromium deficiency, symptoms are usually tiredness after a meal.

The second is chronic hypoglycemia which is caused by adrenal gland dysfunction. Theres no way water fasting could cure either.

All I can tell you is what I have learned from my personal experience.

You must find the answer that is best for you. That is why these threads are so useful everyone can give their opinion and life stories and with that and other research you can make the best decision for you.

For sure blue-eyes im glad you found fasting to help, like you say im just putting forward my experience and knowledge on the subject ive gathered so far.

Glad you found relief:), adrenal fatigue/chronic fatigue syndrome is a horrible condition, i know that from experience sadly also:(

Yes fasting was a far cry better than what the doctor wanted, I was falling asleep while driving and he wanted to put me on anti depressants, just more damage.

No matter how much I slept It was never enough.

Yeah in the end people made me feel crazy for not taking the doctors advice so i went down that horrible road of anti-depressants, glad i got off them never again. Im grateful for what i learned diet, alternative health, herbal information but conventional doctors really suck and made my life a misery. At one point any physical exertion would make me have to sleep near full days it was crazy.

Thank god for alternative methods of healing in my case herbs specifically adaptogenic herbs and healthy diet.

Yes I was on steroids for 20 years for asthma and he said i had the beginnings of emphysema.

Once I was upset over a break up and only drank coffee and ate grapes and I had to force myself to eat the grapes because I want nothing at all. for a week I also too no drugs and my breathing and energy was great. the doctor said that was a bad thing i did and it was back to drugs, it was several years later that I found out the REAL truth. (I am slow and also buckled under the pressure of others)

Now I am fine. Just wanting to completely rid myself of a cat allergy and I will be 100% perfect ( well as far as I am concerned anyways). I have reduced it but still would like to pet them and hold them and ...!!

Tapping is also a wonderful way to help!

Yeah steroids can cause real havoc with the adrenal glands, they end up further atrophying them and thus weakening them more. Glad you got sorted in the end.

Allergies are a symptom of adrenal dysfunction not ouputting sufficient anti-histamine epinepherine and immune regulating corticosteroids. So working on building up your adrenal glands will definitley help. I had a cat allergy myself aswell as multiple food allergies also glad there gone, but vegan/raw diet does help eliminate most of the common allergens i guess.