Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who needs blenders?

Food processors are just as good for smoothies, soup, sauces, and so on, I find. And on top of that, they can do things blenders can't, like juicing citrus, grinding vegetables into "grains", and Essene bread dough. Or do I just have a crap blender?

Comments

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

I find that my blender is much better for pretty much any liquid or semi-liquid that I want to get totally smooth. But my blender is better quality than my food processor--and I use them both every day.

If you're happy with your food processor, then I don't think you're really missing out on anything.

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

Like ambiguous, I find that blenders are necessary for making things completely smooth (smoothies!). I only use my food processor when making banana ice cream or if I'm grating a large amount of something. Otherwise the blender works just fine.

Swayze

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

I would hate making smoothies in a food processor, they are so hard to clean.

I have a VItaMix blender, and LOVE it. Before that I used a Cusinart blender, and they difference in the two is night and day. A good blender is definitely worth the investment.

• My blender isn't the greatest at crushing ice, even when I use the specially marked "ice" button. Maybe mine just sucks or something but I still use it for making smoothies. http://www.sweetwheat.com/sweet-wheat/wheatgrass-juice-smoothies

I use my food processor every day too, but yes it is a pain to wash.

• hikurohikuro Raw Newbie

I don't have a food processor, and a blender gets me by just fine.

Technically I don't have a blender either, had a little incident with pineapple juice and an unsecured bottom. Cheap $20 blender from Wal-Mart; say what you will about a vitamix or blendtec, it may not have been awesome(couldn't handle ice, etc.) but it got me by and lasted for years with solid use(and only died due to 'user error' I guess). Though I will be upgrading to the $60 or so range at Bed Bath & Beyond after Christmas.

But I think you can get by with one or the other(technically without either, but having one definitely makes raw easier and more enjoyable imo), both may be nice if you have the kitchen room and can afford it.