Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Hair fall

I've been vegetarian for about 5 years.last year I started the raw food diet but couldn't keep on because of headache.Now I'm back to give another try.This time Im really concerned about my hair(isn't already in good condition!) . I need to know how to make sure if Im getting enough nutritions.By the way today is my 6th day (gone100%) having had a bad headache. I'll be happy to get any advise.

Comments

• michigan romanmichigan roman Raw Master

happens to many raw foodies first 2 years . i think many have said the silica in cucumbers helps plus something in coconut oil , the cold pressed virgin type coconut oil

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

Headache can be a sign of hypoglycemia, it may not be a good idea if your head is as sore as you suggest. Its all fine going raw but if it effects your health adversely it isnt.

About your hair, im not sure if your male or female, but one of the most common reasons for hair loss on a vegetarian or vegan diet is lack of iodine, seaweeds are the best and pretty much only decent source. They also contain other minerals which help hair growth such as silica.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Get enough calories and dark leafy greens. We can't guess on here, based on the information you gave, if you're getting enough nutrients. Try fitday.com I find it's easy to get all RDAs of vitamins/minerals with lots of sweet fruit, dark green leafy vegetables, and a couple Brazil nuts a week. A little extra iodine from seaweeds doesn't hurt, but don't eat too much seaweed. And also take a sublingual B12.

• Thank you all,today I feel much better with no headache.The thing that most worries me is hair fall.unfortunately I don't have access to the coconut oil.would fresh coconut or dried ones be beneficial in this sense?

Dont fall into the trap that because fitday or other online calculators telling you that your getting all the nutrients you need, many of the data is based on the maximum nutrients fruit or vegetables contain, we all know how poor the soil is that many fruits, vegetables, grains etc are grown in that they may not even have much if any of the nutrients that they should have.

Is your hair specifically falling out in clumps or is it thinning, is there a specific area in which this is happening?

• camiheartsrawcamiheartsraw Raw Newbie

Personally, the hair loss for me was about candida. I have autoimmune issues, so I wasn't able to get it in check with diet and herbal anitfungals. I am not a big fan of one raw vegan diet fits all - I do best on low carbohydrate, higher fat. When I eat much fruit, the candida tends to get out of control and I start losing hair again and having a ton of other symptoms (bloating, gas, headaches, nausea, intestinal ulcers, etc.). Again though, I have lupus, so I'm an extreme. Are you high fruit? Some people absolutely thrive on tons of fruit, but not all of us do as well.

• Many thanks for all the useful adivices.to give more details I shoud say im 39 ( femail) and my hair is thinning around the scalp and where I part it over my forehead.Everyday I have a planty of green leafy vegtables , some nuts , sprouts and fruits,also i take Chlorella Vulgaris supplement.Haven't tested iodine recently , however 3 years ago the test result was ok! Any other advice would be appreciated.

• RawKarenRawKaren Raw Newbie

Try some MSM.

• I had hair problems last fall after going to a new stylist. Apparently she used a different brand of dye than my old salon did, because huge chunks of my hair started falling out in the shower and whenever I brushed / combed it. It's still really damaged but not falling out as much-- mainly just breaking a lot b/c it's still so damaged. I know that's a different scenario since I can blame it on the dye, but food can also play a role in hair condition. http://www.sweetwheat.com/sweet-wheat/natural-cosmetic-benefits-of-wheatgrass if you want to read some more about it.

• Thank you Rawkaren,but im afraid I don know what MSM stands for!!?

By the way,Pink Watermelon, Today I started to grow my wheatgrass at home.Also I made a fresh aleovera juice mixed with orange & ginger , I really enjoyed and recommend it,but I dont know if having aleovera benefits hair.

We get enough sulfur from a healthy diet so ive never seen any real need to supplement with MSM.

Silica sources are also good for hair loss, pending that its not occurring due to lack of iodine, hypothyroidism etc. Good silica sources include green leafy vegetables, seaweeds(also an iodine source), nettle leaf and if you wish to supplement then food grade diatomaceous earth.

• the_chumanathe_chumana Raw Newbie

Where do you get food grade diatomaceous earth? How much does it cost? I keep hearing about it from raw fooders. What nutrients are in it?

Also, whats the deal with msm? EVERYONE seems to be taking it. What does it do?

The reason MSM is so taken is largely down to hype, it does have benefits but most of us and especially raw food followers get enough sulfur via there diet in most cases.

Food grade D.E lasts so long that i really cant remember where i got it from, are you UK or? Its just silica in it, silica is great for skin, connective tissue, hair, nails etc. It also acts as a colon cleanse/parasite cleanse.

I'm in the US. I haven't seen it at co-ops. Maybe I wasn't looking in the right section. I'm going to do some research on it.

Just found this on a website. Damn, I forget how easy the internet works (sometimes).

Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth is totally organic and safe. It contains less than 1% percent of Crystal & Silicon. Some of the uses for Diatomaceous Earth include; household pets, gardens, flower beds, field crops, grain storage, and livestock feeding. Diatomaceous Earth is Mother Nature's product with no harm to the environment, pets or to people. Diatomaceous Earth is not an earth, it is the fossilized remains of microscopic shells created by one celled plants called DIATOMS. Diatomaceous Earth kills by physical action, not chemical, by puncturing the insects exoskeleton and absorbing its body fluids, thus posing no harm to warm-blooded life. Moreover, on any surface, these natural pesticide products have a remarkable repellency factor. As long as it is present, insects tend to stay away, making a serious infestation unlikely. Also, the more it is used, the more an environment is created that tends to make insects feel unwelcome. Out of 600 deposits in the US only 4 are considered "food grade" by the FDA standards. Other food grade deposits still may contain higher amounts of sediment and clay that make them less effective. We have analysis of many other "Food Grade" deposits and are satisfied that we still obtain the diatomaceous earth for our products from the purest fresh water source. *These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

I just remembered.... try coconut oil on your hair. Massage it into your scalp, let it sit for awhile and then rinse it out. Try it with hemp oil, too. Also, I think just switching to a raw diet will improve your hair. Like powerlifter said, iodine!! Start using kelp poedwer in your smoothies, salads, etc. Have you tried oilpulling? I do it daily and it seems to work for lots of different things. oilpulling.com (or is it .org?) That site has all the info.