coconut oil

nicolettenicolette Raw Jr. Superstar

Hi guys and girlies,

Can you help me find an alternative to coconut oil in refrigerated bars. It seems that many recipes call for coconut oil or cocoa butter where there is a need for solidification (if thats a word). But what can i use instead?

Thanks,

Stephanie x

Comments

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

Some sweeter such as agave nectar etc would likely work.

• You could use Tahini. It thickens when chilled, but not as solidly as cacao butter or coconut oil.

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

Is there a reason you don't want to use coconut oil or cacao butter? I was thinking red palm oil might work, since it's also a saturated fat. However, the flavor I believe is pretty distintive, and if sustainability is important to you, try to buy a product that is fairly traded.

Blessings,

Andrew

• nicolettenicolette Raw Jr. Superstar

Thanks to all who've been in touch....sorry for delay in getting back to you - had trouble logging into account. I dont want to have coconut oil due to its saturated fat content so any substitute that hasnt saturated fat is what im looking for. But then, its the fat that makes it solid at room temp isnt it! The tahini sounds a good idea, and the nectar.

Thank you x x

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

You could also try chia or figs. They are excellent binding agents for raw bars, and they're pretty solid.

Blessings,

Andrew