Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Agar Substitute

germin8germin8 Raw Master

Are there raw living substitute to make foods gelatin-like? Besides… agar, agar and lecithin which are not raw.

Comments

• chia seed sounds like it but I haven’t tried it..

• FeeFee Raw Master

Psyllium husks as well, Ive got some but not tried them yet.

• RCBAliveRCBAlive Raw Newbie

I think chia seeds would be great as they don’t really have a taste, as opposed to psyllium, which I find has an offensive flavor.

• Chia seeds are great, and I think actually guar would work well, too. Soaked guar beans are what the licky postage stamp glue was made out of for like 100 years. I’ve seen them at my co-op, but cannot attest to their raw-ness. It has the advantage of being a very environmentally friendly and N-fixing crop.

• skizzyskizzy Raw Newbie

i remember reading somewhere that psyllium makes it so your body can’t absorb the nutrients of any food you take with it, so you shouldn’t ever mix it with anything but water.

anybody else know anything about that?

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

You can also buy white chia if the black dots in your recipe looks like frog eggs! That’s what I’m always reminded of, especially when I made chia pudding yesterday. The white seeds are called Salba and they cost a bit more. They are slightly more nutritive and they would look so much better.

• Irish moss might do the trick as well.