Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

"Just ...xyz"

spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

Have any of you heard of, seen, tasted products from the company that makes “Just Corn”, “Just Apples”, “Just…(place the fruit or veg of your choice here)”? They are flash freeze dried. Would flash freeze dried be considered raw? I saw the Just Corn and thought it might be good to grind up into a meal, but if it is not raw, I obviously don’t want to use it. Has anybody had any experience with this?

Comments

• I’m not sure if it’s raw or not…freeze-dried would imply to me that it isn’t heated, but I’m not sure how freeze-drying affects the life force.

However, since I do use frozen fruits in smoothies, I also use Hot Just Veggies (sparingly) as a salad topping. It’s actually quite good.

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

Anyone else want to chime in? I would love more input!

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

Is there a phone number for contact? I’ll just call if I can’t tell by the packaging. I believe with freeze drying they put a vacuum on the substance as the freeze and it pulls the water out.However you can’t tell by what they say if it is blanched first.

Thanks for the info. deborahann and Suzy. I have not yet bought the product, so I didn’t think to look atthe phone number. The next time I go to the market I will try and remember to write it down.

• here is a link that explains how freezedrying works. http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/freeze-drying2…

• This company also has a website. They are at http://www.justtomatoes.com They do have some information about their process and perhaps you could email for more information if what you’re looking for isn’t readily available on their site.

• i have eaten their products and i really like them. I use them very sparingly as I prefer to get things fresh, and eat my fruits and veggies in their natural form, but every once in a while thats impossible and having something like that on hand in my desk drawer can help stave of something horrible like a trip to the snack machine!

• In one sentence they say “freeze dried” and then somewhere else they say “dehydrated at low temperatures” (but they don’t say how low). Hmmmmm.

Yes, I know…very interting. I emailed them last week and still have not received a response.

• definitely let us know what you hear spiritedmama! I have been eyeing up the corn for a while now..

O.K. people, I got an email back from the company yesterday. Here is the response that they gave me regarding temperatures, etc.:

“Hi
    Our products are not blanched prior to drying. The heat is not above
    90 degrees in the freeze drying process.”
    - Melissa Carmo

• RCBAliveRCBAlive Raw Newbie

Huh? So does that mean they dehydrate at no greater than 90 degrees and then they freeze dry? I didn’t think heat was involved in the freeze drying process.