Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

what's your favorite exotic fruit?

2»

Comments

• joseegonthier I’ve had chayote back home; it grew like weeds. We called it mirliton though. Unfortunately, though I’ve only had it cooked. I’m tempted to try it raw the next time that I go home. I remember it leaving a strange coating on my hands when I cleaned it for cooking.

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

explodes with jealousy I loathe this city so much more right now… I love coconuts. Young coconuts are the most amazing thing ever.

• Oh, figs right off of the tree! And Japanese plums too!

• I have to totally agree with Dea.. I never knew how lucky I was to be able to get such a variety of foods until I moved here to Kurdistan. However my fav. fruits are pomogranets and fresh green grapes straight off the vine, infact that’s all I’ve been craving throughout my whole pregnancy. Other than that I really love bananas and oranges. There is one fruit here than I never had in the US but it’s really good – sour cherries. We call them Albaloo, they are smaller than regular cherries and some can be quite sour but they taste so good. I just wish I could get the Fuji apples I used to love.. Sigh

• Also I almost forgot raspberries and blueberries.. I can’t get them here and I miss them.. :( Take it from of you all are so lucky!

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

chermoya, chermoya chermoya, did i mendtion chermoya? love it ! its affectionaltely called a yoda turd in our house, kinda would look like that i suppose( its a husbandism!) anyhoo, papayas and mangos and guavas run a close second then there is the surinam cherry also scrumptious.

kmom we do have it good here huh? could i ship you some fugis? ps baby is awfully cute!! xoxo

• rawmaidenrawmaiden Raw Newbie

How does Durian fruit taste? the look of it (green and spiney) has me scared. I heard it smells like rotten eggs or gas? But people say once you taste it, it is the king of fruits? How does it taste? and how do I open it? they have them at the asian market near me.

By the way my favorite exotic fruit so far has to be Dragon fruit, expensive but worth every cent.

• shele24shele24 Raw Newbie

I don’t know if you’d consider it exotic, but I love prickly pear. I just harvested some today out of the yard—-yummo! I also like asian pears.

• Hi Omshanti!! I have to laugh at the yoda turd.. lol if I thought that the apples would survive the journey I’d be awful tempted to take you up on your offer but I don’t think that even the best of apples would live through a month-long trip in a box through several countries. Well not fresh ones anyway.. But there is aprox. 12 days left till my box arrives with the granola inside.. :) When I have my granola I woun’t be missing those apples so much! he he. K-Mom

• Young Thai coconuts are my fav (:

• I know it’s not exactly exotic, but the mango tree in my back yard produces amazing fruit. I can’t get enough of them, and now it’s finished 4 months of continual production, so sad. Am willing to wait 8 months again for those mangos. Wow, love them. :)

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

raw maiden, funny durian fruit story: i was visiting frineds in portland and we where getting some goodies at a nice big asian market there, one of our party found a fresh durina ion the aisles and we all went along with jtrying it out not knowing what we were getting into, once ome the durian was a hot topic of discussion so while the gals cleaned up the dishes the boys looked it up on line and there was much mirthful disgust in the discription found there and read aloud for entertainment, the mirth vanished upon slicing into that thing and getting a whiff of its contents: gas is mild, this thing smelled like rotting flesh i kid you not…disturbed, we almost tossed it but egged on by the durina fruit web site we tried the thing, its pleasent at first like a sweet bannana, but the stale garlic aftertaste that goes all chemical tasteing had me retching in the trash can …not my cup of tea, first the smell then the after taste…ugh still makes me wonky! sorry not gonna do it again! but you should try it for yourself there are certainly fans of the stuff.

ventri, mangoes are heavenly, had one this morning.

kmom,maybe i could dry some apples for you or send apple sause…..i changed my recipe for it…ill send the new stuff too a dn my power balls and nut butter if you want, just let me know your moms address again or i can send it direct…. let me know on email…

• rawmaidenrawmaiden Raw Newbie

Thanks Omshanti, from what i have been hearing, there are lots of other pleasantly smelling delicious fruits to eat, so I think I will pass on this one, plus they are so expensive here in NYC.

• Mine is definitely Mango followed by Papayas from Puerto RIco. I have never tasted better ones any where else.

• WOW soooooo tempting… I’ll be emailing you soon..:))