Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

young coconuts

Hi! I was just wondering where you all have been buying your coconuts from and it doesn’t break the bank. I find mine in Whole Foods and they range from 2/$5 to $3 each. Just curious if you all have found any other good places to buy them. Asian markets maybe?
Thanks!

Comments

• Yep, asian markets are best. I get them for 1.79 each or 14.50 for a case (9).

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

i get mine from a asian market, about 1.85 each.

• yes, the asian markets.

• i get them from the farmer’s market. They’re 12.00 for a case of nine. I’m just curious, how often does everyone eat them? I eat quite a few, nearly one a day, and use the water as a base for green smoothies.

• Asian Markets 1.29, Indian Stores 1.49 each

• oh wow, what a price difference! will have to go there from now on! thanks for sharing!

• RawVoiceRawVoice Raw Newbie

How often do you guys get bad ones (purple ones). I buy Best brand from my health food store, and usually about half the ones I open are bad.

• Here in LA there’s a place downtown where they sell a case for $5. I have a friend picking me up some this week.
    I’ve never opened a bad one.

Inaia

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

i eat one a day at least, sometimes two or three actually. when i’m on a juice fast, like right now, i drink the water and freeze the meat for use in ice cream later.

• .99 each – Hong Kong Market in Dallas

• Inaia!
    Plz do tell where downtown I can get a case for $5!!!
    thx

• In LA Thai coconuts $4-5 a box of nine, downtown distributors… (depending on the season). The name is S&K. they are on intersection of E Olympic Blvd and Hooper Ave two block away from Alameda… also Mexican young coconuts are $15 for 20 (different place)

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Is there only one importer of young coconuts? I was just wondering in terms of getting them from a “health food” store vs a regular market… If there is only one source/importer, then all coconuts would be treated the same. If not, are “health food” stores getting “healthier” coconuts?

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

i’ve been drinking some coconut water i find in a carton. i’ve emailed the company to try to find out if it is ever heated. i had read that they found a way to extract the juice without it ever touching air.
    package says the only ingedient is 100% coconut water, no preservatives no additives.

the brand is O.N.E.

i’ll let you all know if i hear back from them.

• I’ve read that the purple coconuts are really really young. Which fits with the amount of meat (hardly any) in them. I’ve eaten them and have found no ill effects. Am I wrong?

My market sells them for $1.50 each. But I live in a very diverse area so the market has lots of great exotic food!

• Since I live in Central Valley in California, I get mine at Food 4 Less for $1.59. The only bad ones I’ve ever noticed is mold already visible on the husk so I avoid them. I haven’t encountered any bad coconut once bought altho I do remember a couple that were purple at the bottom but it didn’t taste bad nor did it upset my stomach.

• jenny2052jenny2052 Raw Newbie

Patty, there was a thread a while back in which several people wrote that they had gotten sick from coconuts with purple meat. I had initially read the same thing as you (that the purple meat coconuts are just very young), so I’ve eaten several and never gotten sick. I’ve found the juice of the purple ones is generally less sweet, but it has never tasted bitter or “off” to me. I have opened a bad young coconut or two, but they had white meat and no outer signs of spoilage. The water just smelled like something wasn’t right.

I haven’t found coconuts for less than $2 (at my local co-op) in a while, but I haven’t gone to the asian markets recently.

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

I just found out about this website. Have not tried it. They are organic.
    http://www.genefitnutrition.com/coconuts.html

Kristen Suzanne

• $7 per coconut, is it true…it’s ridiculous….sorry..
    btw, coconuts are not that spoiled yet to go for organic…just my 2 cents…

• yeah, and I was complaining about them @ $3!!

• DelphineDelphine Raw Newbie

I used to buy some at a local Thai Market until I heard from various sources that young coconuts sold in all Asian Markets are fumigated & irradiated. Whole Food’s ones are supposedly okay so are the ones at Caf

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

Many raw resturaunts have stopped using them in preparation preparation for this reason. I have been looking for a source for organic coconuts and just found one a few days ago. Unfortuantely, I live on the East Coast, USA and the shipping makes the coconuts app. $10 or so each. The price is about half if you live in CA, NV, or AZ. (app $5.00 each I think). Also, they ship them in two days so there is no need to fumigate them. The link is below. They also have other fresh, organic , tropical fruits.

http://www.genefitnutrition.com/coconuts.html

EDIT: Just realized someone else posted this.

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

Look at this information i found on Raw Guru re: coconuts and when they are purple (low quality section)

http://www.rawguru.com/store/raw-food/organic_w…