Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

How much do you spend a week?

2»

Comments

• I spend a minimum of $100 a week—for just myself.

• WOW, some of you are spending alot!!
    I spend 30-35$ a month and I think its too much :|

• kundalalitakundalalita Raw Newbie

Socal, i have the same problem. I’m in santa monica, ca and i often spend over $30 for one trip to the store and sometimes spend over $60 in a day, that easily turns out to about $200 a week just for me. $4.00 might buy a bag of organic grapes! I guess everything is just more expensive over here? or maybe i need to go less to Whole Foods and more to the farmer’s markets.

Odalys, did you say 30-35$ a month? and that is in florida?

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

It depends on the season. I spend about $30 a week in the summer when my neighbor brings us garden grown vegetables and peaches. They bring us apples and pears in the fall. I spend a bit more as the weather gets colder. My average then is around $50-$75/week. Once every few months, I order nuts, seeds, agave nectar, superfoods in bulk so that there is no shipping fee. Add that to my grocery bill at around $25/month average. I’m sure that if I did the math it would be more than I think! It isn’t because I eat so much, but because the prices have gotten so high.

• oops!! HEHE, no not a month, my god… a week :o)

I was under the impression that organic produce is pretty inexpensive in cali, am I wrong??
    Produce here is pricey… but then I complain about spending money period.

• It can vary, but about $60-$80 per week. I live 1 block away from the Union Square Green Market, so I’m pretty lucky.

• We spend about 200+ a week, but I have a raw family of 4.5 (1 husband, two kids, and one on the way).. Actually for a raw family I think 800-1000 a month is quite reasonable, but my husband says I’m so far from “mainstream” that my definition of reasonable is a bit warped!

• OceanBlissOceanBliss Raw Newbie

$100/week.

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

My husband and I end up spending about 150-175 per week. That seemed to stay constant from when I was raw and he wasn’t, to now, he is trying raw. I usually go on a big shopping raw once every two weeks and spend about 300 dollars, then have to go to the store every four or five days for bananas and tomatoes.

• I spend an average of $75/week but that includes non-food items (toilet paper, cleaning supplies, pet food, etc.) just for me. It probably runs about 40/week for the produce.

• I live 2 hours from the closest Whole Foods and I try to go every other week and usually spend $200-250. But because of all the snow we’ve had I haven’t been there for 3 weeks and I spent $350 yesterday! Plus I spend $50-75 a week online. And I shop at our little local grocery at least once a week spend $60-100 each trip. I have 2 teenage boys (13 & 16)that are BIG boys, I’m talking just a hair under 6 foot and they eat amazing amounts of food plus a 10 yr old and my husband. They are not raw so I find myself spending more since I’ve gone raw. My guess is $200-300 a week. But we used to eat out A LOT. Now that I’m raw we hardly eat out, ever, so I’m sure we actually spend less on food overall.

• Close to zero!

Sprouting seeds are very cheap (I use regular beans from the supermarket). I get chick peas, lentils, green peas, cow peas and mung beans for between 75 cents & $1.50 per pound. Even my alfalfa seeds are only $5 per lb mail order (and that grows quite a bit of food).

I also make my own yogurt – super cheap.

Otherwise, I get some organic apples & broccoli & just a few other things at the store. I haven’t really added it up, but I could live off of $35 per week just fine.

There’s a lot of labor involved in growing all this stuff. If I bought all my sprouts & yogurt, it would be very, very expensive.

I’m now looking into hydroponic systems so that I can grow tomatoes & lettuce during the winter. That’s where I spend most of my money now (I love organic heirloom tomatoes & organic spring mix, ie baby lettuce—but it’s like $6 a pound).

• I’ve only been raw about 6 weeks so my first grocery bill was near $100 for the week and then I went back a few days later and spent another $40. Lately, I have been juicing alot and my grocery bill is from $50 – $75 a week. I buy most of my veggies organic but I go to the farmer’s market and buy fruits that are low on the “lots of pesticide” list.

I just can’t wait until I can own my own home and have my own organic garden. I also would absolutely love to order some tropical fruit trees to plant. I live in Florida so I want to get the most out of our wonderful climate.

• This is the big kahuna. I spend way more money on groceries than I used to.(so much fresh produce) but so worth it. I can’t imagine buying all that processed stuff now. I spend $80-160 per week for 2 adults and a small child.

• $100-150 per person per week. About $20 is for greens and the rest goes to other produce, dates, vanilla beans, hemp seeds, etc. For some reason I can’t find an avocado for less than $2.50.
    But after I’m retired I won’t have to take a bus to Canada every month to buy giant shopping bags full of medication.

• I spent 150 this week on just me.. YIKES. I buy everything at the natural food store so this includes laundry det, soap and all my food. I also made 2 gourmet recipes this week and spent 30 dollars on pinenuts alone. I believe I only spend around 75 dollars a week when I’m eating more simple.

• I spend anywhere from $30-$50 a week, I almost never go out to eat and make alot of food to last a few days at a time, except Green Drinks.
    I do my own sprouting, fermenting and Grow my own Wheatgrass.
    Get to know your local growers/farmers, produce managers and learn about local tailgate markets.
    They will give you great deals or barter with them!!
    I have two farmers starting Gogi and Almonds for me, ask and it shall be given!!

• I eat 3 meals a day (breakfast is fruit only), drink a gallon of distilled water, and 3 fresh juices daily (l fruit and 2 vegetable). All food, nuts, soaked grains are raw and organic. I shop weekly at the local farmer’s market and local health store. It costs me $12 a day to eat raw and completely trust Jesus for good food for my body. I eat 6 days a week and fast 1 day a week on distilled water. Even if it cost more, it would be totally worth it. Besides junk food is expensive and health destroying in the long run. I feel good eating raw.