Crunchy Pretzel recipe??

I recently saw some raw chocolate covered pretzels at a store near me and I want to make them myself, minus the agave syrup called for. They were made from sprouted buckwheat, zucchini and flax basically. Trouble is I’m awful with proportions and tweaking recipes. Does anyone out there have a good recipe? Or could you help me figure this out? Like would I have to dehydrate the dough first a bit until its harder and then twist it into a pretzel?? Thanks.

Comments

• RawKarenRawKaren Raw Newbie

Umm. This could be an interesting experiment Marichiesa so don’t curse me if I have got these proportions wrong!

I typically would do a 2:1 ratio of grains to binding ingredients, eg 2 cups sprouts, half cup of shredded zucchini and half cup of ground flax seeds, all blitzed together with the rest of the ingredients until it goes to mush, but I never normally measure that much. If you don’t want to use agave, I guess dates (4 large ones?) will help or alternatively use quarter cup of maple syrup and some stevia. Don’t forget the vanilla extract and a pinch of seasalt. I’d add the cacao powder/carob to the mix – maybe 2 tablespoons. If the dough is too wet, add more flax. Too dry, add a bit of water, because we need to squeeze it out of a pastry bag. Don’t forget to taste it at this point and adjust as you like.

Put the mixture into a pastry bag and squeeze out onto a plate of finely ground almonds mixed with a little cacao into sticks that are as long as you want them to be. Roll the sticks in the mixture until they are covered.

Transfer to dehydrator sheet and dry on about 100deg for 18 or so hours until crisp. I would not bother with all of the twisting stuff – might spoil them! Let me know how you get on!

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

RawKaren.

Thanks!! Awesome tips. Especially the pastry bag! Brilliant. I was hitting a brick wall trying to figure out how to shape the dough.I’ve got abatch in the D now. Fingers crossed. ;o)

• skizzyskizzy Raw Newbie

if they turn out tasty, post the recipe you used! i’d love to try it.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Here’s Rhio’s recipe for raw rye pretzels:

http://www.rawfoodinfo.com/recipes/dehydrator.html
  • RawKarenRawKaren Raw Newbie

123. Thanks for the link to the rye. Who knew you could get a machine with a pretzel attachment – pretty cool!! I’m going to try these they sound great.