Getting through the Winter

kandacekandace Raw Newbie

I’m finding that winter is a bit harder for me to eat raw than this past summer was – mostly, as I am cold, I am craving hot food. Last winter, I would make a crock-pot full of warm soup and eat for days. This is my first winter eating raw at all and I’m wondering how to get that warm feeling with raw foods. Does one just get over it? For now, I am basically eating mostly raw, but adding in vegan soups here and there.

Comments

• shannonmarieshannonmarie Raw Newbie

I have to admit that I eat some cooked vegan foods, especially this time of year. However, I still eat mostly raw. I try to stick to seasonal produce, and include a lot of greens in my diet, kale being my favorite.

Speaking of kale, the basic kale salad with avocado and tomato is great this time of year, although it is not the best time for tomatoes. The combination of the greens and cayenne pepper is very warming. Actually, all spicy foods have a warming effect.

Also, I like making raw soups, mainly “cream” of broccoli. You can “heat” them up a little using a dehydrator.

When I do eat cooked foods, it is usually when I am out and have less control over my menu options. I try to order steamed veggies, since steaming still maintains a lot of the nutritional value, while allowing you to eat hot food on a cold winter’s day.

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

You can “heat” them up a little using a dehydrator.

Oooh, this sounds like a great idea! How long does it take to warm something like a soup up? Do just put it in the dehydrator in a bowl?

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

I’m getting the hang of warming food up in the dehydrator! I made the zucchini ratatouille, which warms up for about an hour. The sauce was so thick that I could swear it had cheese in it. Anyhow, it really helped with my warm food craving.