Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

zucchini...blah

I tried raw zucchini a few times and I just didn’t like it. Even in sauce, the flavor is not that great to me. Is there anyone who felt the same way at first but actually liked it later on? I am hoping I can. Yellow squash I did like at first but, I kind of overdid it, so it might take a while for me not feel nauseous about eating it again.

Thanks!

Comments

• FreesiaFreesia Raw Newbie

Hi Jaybee, For me it depends on lots of factors.
    Very young zucchinis straight from the garden are fantastic.. crunchy, sweet, melt in the mouth .
    I use the spirooli slicer to make zucchini spaghetti.. and leave it to sit all day so that the water in the zuc dries off a bit.. you can put it in the dehydrator for a while for the same effect. Otherwise everything that goes with it ends up swimmimng in a sea of zucchini juice. It’s not my favourite veg, unless fresh from the garden.
    It lacks any particular flavour, especially the larger ones..
    so lots of garlic is good with it too.
    I tend to bulk sauces with it..
    Try and use the very small ones for better flavour .

• My advice is: Don’t eat it if you don’t love it! There’s no point in forcefeeding yourself a food if you don’t enjoy it 100%! As long as the alternative is healthy and raw, just set the zucchini aside and grab something YOU think is yummy. Just this week I had a huge craving for an avocado for the first time in my life; when I ate it, it tasted rich and delicious. A few days later I went to have another one, and it could not have been more unappetizing… Just goes to show you, your body will let you know what it wants and needs.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

They are great for adding to creamy sauces. They bulk them out and reduce the use of nuts and seeds.
    I love to put it in hummus – the famous Matt Ambsden No Bean Hummus, and pasta alfredo sauce, cheeze sauce etc…and even sweet creams. You can’t taste it at all, and it makes the sauce go really creamy, and a long way.

Also if you get a little tool from your cookshop called a Julienne. It is a little hand held thing like a peeler, except you can use it to scrape along a cougeuette(zucchini) and make the greatest noodles/pasta, just like spaghetti. Then put loads of cheezy, basil, oregano sauce all over it, mmmm.

I wouldn’t eat a courgeutte/zuchinni on its own, or in a salad, but it is a really great and helpful ingredient.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

I hated it, jayybee30, until one day I made “pasta” with and and did NOT include the section with the seeds. I discovered taht the seeded part was what made me gag(truly gag); the flavor of the seeded section has a gross, squashy taste, and that just the white part was mild and nutty and sweet, especially with creamy tomatoe basil sauce.

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

Here’s a fun idea that’s common here in Italy: stuffed zucchini! Carve out the inside and stuff it with some nice pesto. Maybe you should dehydrate it a while to soften it before stuffing.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

yes. i did not find it fantastic at first, but like zoe, find the julienne tool to work wonders and love it bulk up sauces, including salad dressings. it’s often the “missing ingredient” in recipes because it adds bulk without much flavor (pretty much what the less healthful “fillers” do).

your taste buds do change. i agree with kathryntheraw that you shouldn’t have to force-feed yourself though. come back to in a few months and see if you feel the same way.

• Thank you so much everybody for all the replies. I will definately use the tips…Alix1962, what particular recipe did you use? I have a spirooli and I didn’t want it to just sit in my cupboard. Until I get used to zucs, has anyone successfully spiralized an english cucumber cuz I totally love cucumbers.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Hiya, you mean a recipe for the creamy tomatoe-basil sauce/soup? I didn’t use any specific recipe for the sauce. I blend about one pound of seeded tomatoes with 3 dates (for sweetning and thickening), 1 tablespoon tahini(gives the “cream” tecture and taste, and a couple of teaspoons of dried basil with enough water to start the blender.

Or did you mean the zuchinni pasta? For that, I use a $2 dollar vegetable peeler. I get rid of the skin and then peel off strips of the zuchinni flesh, then I happily throw away the center part with the seeds. I wish I could afford a spirooli so i could make the angel hair pasta!

• i used to hate raw zucchini and now i like it. my husband likes to shave it into noodles and put it in salad. i still like to make raw noodles with it, but i don’t find it to be a filling enough meal.

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

to me they don’t have much flavor at all! funny how everyone’s tastebuds are so different. i like to peel them, core them and stuff them with hazelnut stuffing, and serve with apple sauce.

i need to try the spirooli thingy