Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

more leafy greens in my belly

Does anyone have suggestions as to good ways to get more leafy greens in during the day? I eat a ton of lettuce, but other more nutrient rich greens are hard to get in sometimes for me. I can’t get kale or collards where I live and just haven’t found the perfect way to make a parsley smoothie yet. I could just eat more cilantro loaded guacamole, but I know that is not the way. Any tips?

Comments

• Hi Juleskess, I am new to this it is only my first week green, raw and alive, but, look into making green smoothies. I do not have access to kale or collards here, but there is swiss chard, escarole, and chicory greens. I blend that with bananas, oranges, carrots, strawberries whatever is at hand. I cannot get avocados (yet and they are grown here but exported) mangoes, or papayas here but I am making do. Good luck, look up green smootheis. :) Deika.

• PamPam

I also make green smoothies. Check out the book Green for Life by Victoria Boutenko. I make my smoothies very green, with a minimum amount of fruit just to cut the bitterness. Then, I add enough water to make the texture better. My smoothies taste like milk to me. However, since I don’t drink milk and haven’t for years, I’m probably not the best judge of that! At any rate, they allow me to get down 1 1/2 bunches of greens, as well as some parsley, a couple stalks of celery and carrots over a 24-36 hour period.

• Do you juice the greens and parsley first? I have a so-so blender and always end up chewing greens with the smoothie. It´s not juice or smoothie-like at all. erg.

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

I have a not-so-good blender too, but I have found that if I just put the greens in first (I think spinach works great!...) with just a little water and blend that first BEFORE adding anything else, it does a better job and I am not chewing my greens with the smoothy. Give it a try and it might work for you too! Another good thing is to add spirulina to the smoothie to make it “extra green”. Hope this helps!

• JoescJoesc Raw Master

My blender is waiting for the blade replacement and I had the issue of chewing my smoothie when I first started blending.

What I do first is have some water and dates or water and the greens in the blender. While it’s blending I will be working on putting together my lunch at the same time. Then I add the greens, arugala, chard, kale, spinach etc if I hadn’t already. I would let it blend while I am juicing the oranges, grapefruits and or cutting up the strawberrys, beets and pineapple. Then I add the pineapple or fruit juice. I let it blend for an extrememly long time because the blades are very old. It is my moms blender,and she never changed the blades. The blender is over 23 years old. It is a pain in the butte. It blends everything in a smooth concoction in 20 minutes.

Green smoothies is the best way I can consume as much greens I need. It is also an easy meal replacement.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

spring onions (scallions) are also considered leafy greens, the leaves on celery are aswell. Broccoli would help too I think. You could grow your own wheat grass and buy a wheatgrass juicer. I have got one on the way that I got online. Wheatberries are cheap and it grows like crazy! It is incredibly good for you and provides a huge amount of chloryphll – the good stuff in greens I know I can’t spell it right! Or you could grow other sprouts like clover, alfalfa etc and let them grow till you get little green leaves. Put them in a salad or a smoothie. Cabbage is another posibility, you could marinade it and make a non stir fry out of it…Basil is also yummy… Also spinach is delicious in smoothies, it goes really creamy. And it is good with sauce mixed into it.

Here’s the list of leafy greens from our website, www.purelyraw.com: aloe vera, arugula, beet greens, broadleaf arrowhead,broccoli,brussel sprouts,chickweed,Chinese cabbage,chives,cilantro,clover,collard greens,coriander,cress,curry leaf,dandelion,dandelion greens,dill,endive,eucalyptus,fennel,garlic chives,iceberg lettuce,iceplant,kale,lemon balm,lemon basil,lettuce,licorice,milk thistle,mint,mustard greens,nettles,oregano,parsley,peppermint,rocket,seaweed,spinach,spring onion,star anise,Swiss chard,Thai basil,watercress,wheatgrass,wild grass.

• Wow, those are all wonderful suggestions, many thanks. I also tried the marinated kale and lentil salad today. I didn’t love the lentils, but I ate up the kale like crazy. Overnight marinating greens does wonders! My blender is so terrifying, I never really run it for that long, but I’m sure that the marathon blend would work. Zoe, amazing list.

• SystemSystem Raw Newbie

You absolutely have to try the Avocado Kale Salad. Simply amazing!!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Hi, glad you got your hands on some kale. josee is right you have got to try the kale/avocado/tomato salad…

i have been eating it 2 or 3 times a day for about 6 months, it is truly amazing, nothing compares to it!! my mix: 1 or 2 avocados plateful of kale 3 tomatoes sprinkle of salt big sprinkle of cayenne i been using alot of cayenne on mine. big splash of olive oil

mushed up by hands all lovely and messy ;) simply the best reciepe in the world!

• It looks great. I can´t get myself to like raw tomatoes though. Do you have any sugestions of things that might go well with it to substitute? (Zoe, well it wasn´t really kale, but some strange south amemican green that must be a relative, more bitter through)

• SystemSystem Raw Newbie

Juleskess, how about using red peppers instead? And I’m thinking you used chickory instead of kale….? If it’s chickory, I eat the stems, but not kale stems.

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

I’m a big fan of the avocado kale salad, especially with grapeseed oil. It was the first raw dish I tried and it hooked me pretty quickly.