Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Anyone take MSM?

Does anyone here take MSM?

I starting to take it again. I have the powder form. I know it is supposed to work well with Vitamin-C. I don’t want to juice fresh orange juice every day. I am taking it in my water but I was wondering if it would be good in a smoothie that had whole orange or pineapple? That would be an easy way to get my MSM in.

Any other ways people take MSM?

Comments

• I use MSM in my face wash, body soap and shampoo and conditioner ( not all the time). It is best w/ OJ i have found because it is so bitter. I usually add some honey to it as well. I have tried others ways to drink it(almond mylk, tea, water, lemon juice) and i just cant. Yuck! check out this link i found a while ago for uses. It seemed to be the most simple of all the searching i did. I was thinking of trying grapefruit so i will let you know how it goes http://www.evolutionhealth.com/msm-powder.htm

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Thanks!

I got my MSM stuff from NFL. I have the MSM lotion.I am using it on my face as I have a lot of acne scars and I heard it is supposed to help break down scar tissue. I am mainly taking the powdered stuff because I heard it can help your hair grow better and that it has been know to help healing hearing (I have some hearing loss). I think I am going to try the MSM in some “lemonade” today – some water and lemon juice. The taste doesn’t bother me that much. I drink alot of water so I put the doseage into my huge litre bottle – so I don’t taste it that much.

I have tried the shampoo before and I liked it but I am trying to go shampoo-free right now so no shampoo for me. Where did you get a body soap with MSM? I don’t think I have seen one.

• I get vegan liquid soap from my HFS, Dr. Bonners, and just add some MSM and soap to a small container and use the mixture.

• Priceless OnePriceless One Raw Newbie

What is MSM? I went to the link but it didn’t really tell me what it was for. Why do you take it?

• This is from the website where i usually get my MSM if i dont get it from my HFS. I just know that sulfur is very important for the body and hard for us to get from food. Hope this helps a little. If you search,msm powder, i have found lots of testimonials etc on websites.

Powerful, all-natural joint tissue support. MSM encourages strong cartilage, tendons and ligaments. Powder mixes easily with water or juice for optimum support. Take care of your vital joint tissues the natural way with MSM. A biologically active form of the essential mineral sulfur, MSM provides basic nourishment for the tissues that keep your joints working smoothly. It’s also great for maintaining healthy hair, skin and nails.

I like these websites on MSM. It explains alot.

http://www.purehealthsystems.com/msm.html http://www.theolivebranch.com/news/msm.htm

It is basically sulfur that is in all living organisms and gets in our food through the rain. It is easily destroyed and although, raw foodists get more MSM than people who eat cooked food, because of the way our food is grown today (using irrigation and not getting much natural rain), even the raw food diet may not have adequate amounts. David Wolfe’s Eating for Beauty explain alot about MSM.

I got mine here. It is on sale right now. http://www.sunfood.com/cgi-bin/order/index.cgi?...

• i was taking MSM in powdered form and just couldn’t take the taste and after taste. honestly it was ruining my day. i talked to a bunch of rawbies about it and most of them said it’s a supplement we can do without. of course, there are many supposed benefits, and i would have preferred to be able to take it. I tried 1000mg in pill form and the side effects didn’t change. evidently the aftertaste just stays with some people…and never goes away until you stop taking it. alternatively, if you’re taking it for hair, skin, and nails, I’ve been taking a different product without MSM that is food based and vegetarian. i can’t remember the name right now, but if you’re interested I’ll post it tomorrow.

• SystemSystem Raw Newbie

Onethousandone, I would like to know what it is you’re taking. I’m interested in knowing because my hair has thinned out recently and my nails have gotten somewhat brittle. I must say I keep banging my fingers by accident which really doesn’t help, my frequent hand washing (although crazy moisturizing habits) and winter weather (gotta love the -30 celsius…) has surely taken its toll on my tiny fragile hands! Thanks!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

It is meant to be good for doing yoga, because it improves flexibility.

• JoescJoesc Raw Master

I got some and it taste horrible but it taste better than aloe vera and I will continue taking it. I have used some in my leave in conditioner and in my lotion.

I am on my second week on MSM. I have up-ed my dosage to 1/2 teaspoon twice daily. I am noticing the best way to take it is in water and freshly squeezed lemon – than I don’t taste it at all. The taste doesn’t bother me too much though. I have also put it in my smoothies when I have a citrus fruit in it. I am getting some Camu Camu to mix it with since that is very high in Vitamin C.

I am also using the MSM lotion – I can’t tell you how much I love this stuff! My skin is looking so much better. I have only been using it a week and some mature whiteheads that I have had for over a year have gone! I have acne scars too and I swear they look smoothier. I have the Berry Vanilla scented one from NFL and it smells like cotton candy. :)

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

do you need to take vitamin c with it even if you are 100% raw?

• JoescJoesc Raw Master

Zoe I wouldn’t think a raw person would need to take extra vit c especially if they are like me and consume, a lot of tomatoes, oranges, lemons, and other citrus fruits. Vitamin C is good with msm so I guess it depends on the person if they feel they need extra vit c.

• hey joseegonthier, i take megafoods skin, nails, and hair:http://www.megafoodonline.com/MegaFood-Skin-Nails—Hair-DailyFoods-60-tablets-p-223.html it’s great actually, especially if you’re not into MSM. the other product that i really recommend for EVERYTHING including aesthetic stuff is regular old E3 Live. It has made my hair grow like crazy, which was something i experienced even before i went all raw. i’ve heard that taking MSM through lotion is a good way to take it if you can’t tolerate the taste and i think i’m going to try that at some point because of its benefits joint-muscle wise. go yoga!

Zoe – they say it works better with vitamin c. I don’t like to juice o.j. all the time so I thought I would give the camu camu powder a try. Something different too since I haven’t had it before. I don’t think I get enough vitamin C – I do eat a lot of pineapple but not every day. I am 100% most of the time but I am not a purist.

I like the MSM with the juice of one lemon and some water – easy to make too.

onethousandone – thanks for the tip on the E3 Live – I have heard good things about it. The megafood sounds good too but I hate taking tablets – I have a hard time swallowing them which is why I like the powder MSM.

Yes, the lotion is awesome – I highly recommend it. I have problems with my TJM joints and they feel better already (I think from both the powder and rubbing the lotion in)

• Hmm, this is all really interesting. I’ve taken MSM with vitamin C before when ive been sick because it is really good for getting toxins out of the body. I had no clue there were so many other uses for it.

Yep, it’s good for a lot of things. Just today, I made a natural tooth powder out of MSM. It is MSM, pink salt and some cinammmon (for taste). MSM is great for teeth. You can buy it is toothpaste now.

I have also heard of people using it in eye drops and ear drops. Someone said it got rid of their cataracts.

• I just started taking it. Are the benefits as good in pill form instead of powder????I actually crush the pill and mix it w/water.

Not sure about the pill. I have seen MSM in powder or the powder in vegi-capsule form. I would guess the pill would be alright. I suppose you could crush or grind it and mix it in your water. Or just swallow it.

I hate swallowing pills which is why I take the powder.

• JoescJoesc Raw Master

I haven’t heard about E3 live. I will have to research that product. Maybe I will like it.

• nthmostnthmost Raw Newbie

I’ve been taking MSM powder in my water, about 4g a day, for the past 3 months, and at this point I’d consider it one of my “must haves”.

It’s interesting so many of you have given it up because of the bitterness. I almost did, until I realized that it only tasted bitter in combination with sweet things. It’s like the sweet was highlighting the bitter. Now I just put in plain filtered water, very rarely with anything else, and I don’t really notice it at all anymore.

• Does anyone have any proof that this works. I know what it is supposed to do, every website selling it says the sam things, but there is no proof or photos. I mean, saying my hair is nicer, can be relative, or I ” feel” it works, can be relative too. ANyone for sure have something healed or cured?

If so, I would consider it.