Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Is anyone else as COLD as I am?

RawsikiRawsiki Raw Newbie

I just can’t get warm! And it always seems to be me. At public gatherings, where everyone wears jeans and a t-shirt, I am bundled up in leggings & jeans, three shirts, a sweater, and a coat, also with a hood covering my cold, cold ears! What’s the deal? Ever since I started this diet! I just feel cold all the time! Is this because my body fat is really low? Is this bad? Anyone else with the same issue?

Comments

• I get cold alot too! Weird, huh?

• Me too… I thought I was anemic and needed an iron supplement… perhaps some cayenne, ginger, garlic or turmeric to warm the inside and promote circulation… what is the raw world’s best source of iron anyway? spinach? hmm

• Girlfridae1Girlfridae1 Raw Newbie

Is anything else happening to you that’s out of the ordinary? If so, maybe you should get your thyroid checked. I am hypothyroid, and I seem to be cold alot more than others. It’s really drab and snowing (!!!!!) here where I live at the moment, and I’ve not been able to warm up for days. I’m new to the raw lifestyle and am learning all that I can, but maybe you need to increase your fat intake?

Good luck and hope you warm up:)

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

I have this problem constantly, although I’ve never tested anemic or anything else. It got much worse when I did the Master Cleanse and now it’s better now that I’m off. Spring is in the air and I’m just starting to crawl out of my bundles!!

• SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

I was going to post a topic about getting more and more colder than usual. I was already always cold. But now I realize that in my case, I think its because I don’t consume enough calories. I figured this out because everytime I eat like 4 or more bananas or alot of dates, I get sooooo much warmer (and more gittery), especially with the bananas! Man, they sure get me energetic!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Girlfridae, you are a genius! Iodine deficiency could be the culprit. That could be why people with hypothyroidism get cold a lot – or why people who get cold a lot often get/have hypothyroidism. They are both related to an iodine deficiency. Kelp is a great source of iodine. You and Samilicious are also right on with more fat/calories – at least for me. I have survived Utah winters because I eat a ton of fat and calories (mostly from lots of nuts) compared to the rest of the year.

• Instead of eating warm foods, eat “warming” foods with spices such as cayenne, ginger, etc.

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

It all depends on how you’re doing raw. If you eat fruit and salads you will feel cooler. I use ayurveda principle to balance my dosha that help with keeping my system warm. Some types are hot, some are cold. If you are cold type, you need to almost always prepare food using alchemy to make the dish warming. Certain use of spices, seasonings, just enough salt, moisture levels etc. Understanding which dosha you are and then applying them to your raw diet should help. Also, if you are a cold type you need to exercise more to generate heat.

http://rawlifestyleuk.blogspot.com

• I used to be sooo cold alll the time no matter what. I decided to increased my fat intake for other health reasons by eating coconut butter and tahini which greatly helped warm me up! Fat is a great insulator, its like your natural body blanket that goes everywhere with you! And in case you were worried, I didn’t gain any weight.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

well we had a white easter here, so thats why I am freezing cold! Cayenne, warm pyjamas and hot baths usually sort me out.

• RawsikiRawsiki Raw Newbie

Thanks everyone! Great comments! I might not be eating enough fat…. Let alone calories. For instance, yesterday I ate a small bowl of groatmeal for breakfast. Broccoli spinach & strawberries for lunch, small handful of peanuts and an orange as a snack, and for dinner I had sweet potato, peas, and some more vegetables. It seems like I am not getting enough fat, and each meal maybe is about 200 or less calories. Ahh!

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Phew… 800 calories? That doesn’t sound like much. I’m 5’6” and 134 pounds, exercise 30 min x 3 days/week, and I eat around 1,600 calories a day- 80% veg/fruit (without weight gain)

I exercised yesterday for about 45 minutes, and I got WARM! I think I have to agree with the exercise thing.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

It might be hypothyroid and that’s why iodine helps. The inability for the thyroid to produce T3 and T4 causes the body to not regulate temperature. This is a big issue for me. Heavy metal toxicity is often involved in this.

• Yes, I agree excercise is very good for your circulation and helps you get warm. Ginger tea can work wonders too. It’s interesting because I’m quite the opposite, people are cold when I feel warm. Maybe it is just me, but when I eat more salt it seems that I feel colder!

I forgot to add something that was my intention of participating in this topic. Last year, I was so cold that I desperately asked a nutritional consultant at a health food store for ANYTHING that will help me warm up. First, I was recommended cayenne pepper. I bought the supplement because they wre out of the packaged kind. I was to take one with every meal. Wasn’t as effective as I hoped. So I increased my intake to 2 and then 3 pills with each meal. I noticed my stomach got warmer but not so much with my hands and feet. I went back to her and told her it didn’t help much (by the way, she said that the amount of cayenne I was taking could have been harmful). So she recommended, what was it called again? Oh yea, butchers broom. WORKS WONDERS! I think you either take one with every meal or like 2-3 a day, something like that. The warmth reached my hands and feet and I was amazed everytime.

Its not so much of a dramatic effect, more like a realization that hey, I’m actually not cold right now. My hands and feet are actually warm. Not sweating HOT! Just comfortabley warm. It was amazing. Try it! This was my experience. Of course it could be different for others depending on the level of how cold you really are.

Yes, exercise is also great!

Samilicious, thanks for the info. about butcher’s broom; it’s something I’ve never tried.

• I get so cold too!!! no problem, there are so many ways to get warm! in south east asia, we believe cold hand and feet, and feeling cold generally is because the body is experiencing a bit of blood stagnation. so, we go for warming massage which stimulates the blood to move and circulate. also, try to eat denser foods. I was in london for xmas and most of the time i was eating cacao bars to keep me warm. Raw Chocolate heats ya up!

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

really? i seem to have the opposite problem, i’m always in a tshirt while everyone else is shivering in sweaters and so on. i think exercise really does the trick, cardio every morning!

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

I actually don’t get cold. We have had a killer winter here in Ontario, tons of snow and cold! But I havn’t been cold! I eat a lot of ginger, chili, cayenne garlic and cinnamon! warms me up from the inside out I guess!

exercise helps with circulation!

• I am always cold but Ive had this problem even before going raw. I think this summer I will get my blood checked because sometimes I get so cold that my nails turn purple. Actually this has happened a few times when Im not even that cold. But im always cold especially my hands and feet. I drink hot tea to warm me up a lot and take hot showers and put on a million layers. I also exercise 5 times a week, im not a big runner but I do walk 3-5 miles each session. You would think living in florida id be a little warmer!

• Smoothielove do you eat enough calories and fat? When I was eating very few calories I had he same problem with the cold hands and feet and the purple nails!

• I don’t know I probably don’t get enough fat but I would think I get enough calories, although I do try to limit calories as I feel I gain weight very easily. Its so hard for me to lose weight, and im still looking to lose about 10lbs.

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

Rawsiki: Yes, I used to be cold as well, even in the middle of summer. Once I upped my caloric intake, and my body fat (I think I was around 3-4% body fat – scary!), I warmed right up!

But I guess you’re watching your calories, since you want to lose weight.

I know that most long-term raw foodists were cold during their first year or so, and then after that they adapted to the diet, and they were actually warmer than on a cooked food diet. Gabriel Cousens says he can go shirtless in freezing weather w/no problem.

Hey, you can try warming your soup or other foods to 115 degrees for a little cold weather comfort food!

Rawsiki: Your post inspired to reference “Conscious Eating” last night.

According to Gabriel Cousens, those with a kapha constitution are prone to a feeling of dampness when they consume a lot of fruits and veggies w/o decreasing their intake of other fluids.

Also, the reason why the raw food diet will eventually help you feel warmer is because your arteries will unclog and your circulation will improve. :)

• My hands are always cold and my hubby has started complaining about my feet. I didn’t think about the diet.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I’m so cold as of going raw. It’s good to know that it could be related to the diet. Ah, circulation will improve, good.

I found some more info how to keep warm.

Eating food at room temp will keep the body warm, as opposed to eating cold refrigerated food. Warm water w/a twist of lemon or herbal or medicinal teas are also helpful.

Fats have more hydrogen, this produces more heat during the digestive process. So I guess that’s why nuts help to keep you warm.

Potassium-rich foods help keep you warm: mac nuts, seeds in general, incl. sunflower seeds, most fruits, esp. avocados, durian, dates, persimmons w/seeds, pumpkins, raisins, apricots.

Sulfur-rich foods also help: cruciferous veggies like broccoli and cauliflower, garlic, onions, durian, radishes, hemp seeds, bell peppers, hot peppers, aloe vera.

I had durian this morning, and wow, what a difference! :)

• KhaasLadkiKhaasLadki Raw Newbie

oooooooh! I’ve been SO COLD as of late! Which is really weird for me because I have a disease where my body does not produce moisture (sweat, saliva, etc.), although it’s gotten better as I’ve grown; when I was a baby I would cry and no tears would come out, and I did not drool when I was teething!

Anyway back to the point: I live in Texas, and my whole life I have ALWAYS been absolutely miserable in the heat and enjoyed the winters because I could go out and play without getting overheated, but the last few months I’ve not taken off my hoodie until I’m hiding under my three layers of comforters and my space heater is pointed on my face! lol.

I hope it does get better because I still like the cold, I just don’t like being cold! lol.

*PS why does it keep making everything bold? lol