Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

allergic to bananas

I see that there are a lot of great smoothie recipes on the site, and I know that they make a good energizer for breakfast, but can avacodos be substituted for bananas in all smoothie recipes? Does anyone have any other suggestions for substituting bananas, esp in the sweeter smoothies?

Comments

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I’d say nut milk or orange juice is a good base for smoothies. If you have a vitamix, try grinding fresh coconut into coconut milk. Or if no vitamix, for a creamier smoothie, add a tablespoon of raw nut butter. I think avocados + fruit is a better pudding than smoothie base, but that’s just my opinion. : ) I wonder if any fruit is similar to bananas in texture. Hmm.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

I’ve noticed that Mangoes and papaya also makes a nice creamy, rich smoothie without adding any fat. I don’t like to mix fats with fruits. I usually do 1/2 of a papaya or 2 champagne mangoes, spinach, berries, water.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Ah yes, mangoes make an excellent base. The pineapple is a good complement to the mangoes and papaya.

• Medjool dates are a great natural sweetener. Ah if that’s even what you’re asking?? LOL;) Pineapple is an excellent compliment to mangoes also with raspberries too.

• I like using pineapples, oranges, apples or pears in my smoothies, these can be super delicious without using even a piece of banana! Today I just made one with pineapple, spinach and blueberries in it, sprinkled with cinnamon and flaxseeds and yum!

• Ha! I am not the only one who can’t eat bananas, nice to know!

• I’m thankful to everyone who responded here, and it was nice for me to find out I’m not alone (outside of the other women in my family who’ve borne children) in not being able to eat bananas! I thought it was just some weird allergy in our family!

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

I think cherimoya would be similar to banana once you blend it