Yucca Root

Hello, I bought a yucca root yesterday because I like to try new things to keep up with variation, but I have noooo clue what to do with it. Any suggestions? The only appliance I have is a vitamix blender. So how on earth do you prepare it??

Also, what is the nutritional value of yucca roots?

Comments

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Here is a webpage for you. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassava

It looks like it can be eaten raw as they do in Africa. It is also boiled or fryed….EEEEEEKKKKKK Very starchy, high carbohydrate, the leaves are poison. It comes in two types, sweet and bitter both of which contain a percentage of poison. Hummmm I sure would be careful and get all the facts before trying it raw. Stay healthy and alive!!!

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

I had quite a bit of yucca when I lived in Puerto Rico. It was boiled though. It’s really starchy and I couldn’t see how it would be good eaten raw. Maybe it could be ground into a paste for a dip or something…

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

I read the same article as Carmentina some months ago. When eaten raw, the cassava root is poisonous. After that, when it said you could make bread (cooked of course) with it, i ordered a few bags on Amazon because I was interested in making a bread with a vegetable instead of a grain, although it was cooked. So when it arrived, I mixed the flour with water to make dough, and then put it in the oven till brown. It seemed to just harden into bitter crumbles, but then there was another layer that was simply heavenly. I was experimenting even though it was cooked, because I wanted to find a bread substitute that I could eat in small quantities. But man was I wrong this stuff is not digestible!!! It gave me constipation and stomach aches, etc. That was the last time I was eating cassava!! Although since alot of articles on the internet (i.e wikipedia) that say when eaten raw, they are toxic and poisonous. Hope this helps.

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

I read Jeremy Safron’s “The Raw Truth” the other day, and he says yucca, aka cassava, is too dense and starchy and eat raw. Here is a link to an article on kids who were poisoned by yucca:

www.annointed.net/Article819.html – 42k

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Oh my gosh achin that is terrible. ” Sobbing parents left hospitals carrying the bodies of their children out of hospitals”. Sounds just like when I carried my cat out of the vet in a little box.

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

RawKidChef: Yes, it awful! Who would have thought a food like yucca could kill?