Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Almond milk causing bad stomach upset. Any explanations ?

I’ve never had much of a sweet tooth, and I guess that’s why at first I was not too much of a fan of almond milk. However, last night I made the most perfect batch EVER !!! I made 6 cups of almond milk, and drank 2. It was very delicious and went down easily. After I drank the first cup I felt a little nauseated so I sat down for a minute, and the nausea went away. Then I drank the second cup and nothing happened. About 15 minutes after the second cup I felt a twinge of nausea that went away about 5 minutes later. After I laid down to go to bed (about 20 mins later), I had a horrible stomach ache that kept me up for most of the night, and these little twinges of nausea that would just come and go. Any explanations or someone going through the same thing ?

Oh, my recipe was: 2 cups almonds soaked for 24 hours, skins then removed; 6 cups of water; 2 spoonfuls of raw honey; 1 vanilla pod that had been cut up a little and soaked in water (separate from almonds) for just as long as the almonds. I blended that in, vanilla bean with the vanilla water (a little under 1/4 cup) and all, and strained it out.

Comments

• You are only supposed to soak almonds for 8-12 hours (overnight), so that may have had something to do with it. I think you probably soaked them too long. I had a problem with cashews once when I didn’t soak them at all.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Did you change the water in the almonds while they were soaking?

Skins removed? How did you do that w/ germinated almonds? And WHY? Don’t those get removed when straining?

• Hm, I just noticed that some people soak for 24 hours, and I peel the almonds because I read somewhere that there’s something in the peels that may bother some people. Forgot exactly what it was… but I also peel them so I can make a cheese out of the almonds, and yes, I do change the water when soaking the almonds. I guess I’ll just try soaking the almonds for less time. =] Thanks for your feedback

• Sabrina1979Sabrina1979 Raw Newbie

I use the recipe from Ani’s raw kitchen and i DONT soak almonds neither do I remove the skin. Just almonds, water, vanilla bean….and i love the mylk.

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

Yes, the skins contain tannic acid, which can inhibit iron absorption.

I notice sometimes when I’m removing the skins on the almonds I’ll come across a rotten one, and I discard it. Is it possible one or two got into your batch? :)