Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

24 hour bakery

is anybody eating all raw vegan food and working at a job serving cooked…stuff? bakery goods or fast food…and meat!!?

how do you feel?

Comments

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

Um, even if I was just a plain ol vegetarian, there is NO WAY I would survive at one of those places!!!!!!!!!! I just don’t know how people do it, I would want to eat all day long.

• Yes I work in the dining room of a country club so the food is full of fat but looks and smells really good. Im not really that attracted to it, sometimes the desserts do look yummy though. I kind of feel like it goes against my morals though, thats why I’ve put off becoming a server. I feel bad serving food I know is bad on so many levels but in the end I think, these people could choose to educate themselves about nutrition with all the money they have. People at work sometimes joke with me cuz I bring my green smoothies to work a lot but even more of the employees always ask to taste them or whats in them and always like it! One of the sous chefs even asked if I could bring in some green smoothie recipes. They also have started making some vegan soup options and vegetarian main dishes which is pretty amazing considering it’s a private expensive club. Did that answer your question at all?

• ha yes i love your positive change force at the country club!!! green smoothies always do it, i noticed that too…they rev it up even for the meat crowd.

my friends’ son age 2 went crazy for my kale/honey/banana/hempseed smoothie aaand- when my sister was 2/3 she was adamant she only wanted green food…but everyone around translated that as limeade and green sweets.

the kids are alright!

• My fiancee owns a Dagwoods sandwich, like subway a bit but freshly sliced meat. When we bought the place I was vegetarian only. I would eat the cheese sandwich. I work there about 3 days a week. I bring my own food to work and I never touch the meat, I work the cash only.

• Slosh-uhSlosh-uh Raw Newbie

I work at a dog daycare, which has nothing to do with food at all.

But we have this bowl of mini candy bars that I can’t seem to keep my hands out of, and I hate it and it makes me feel terrible but I can’t seem to stop. It starts with “Ok just a few” and it ends with me eating like twenty.

I hate mini candy bars.

• i work at a healthfood store and we sell meat and such.. not so bad.. but the worst had to be around thanksgiving! its a little store and we had all these orders for turkeys (organic or free range or whatever) like over 70 raw dead birds in the tiny walk-in fridge we have.. it was TERRIBLE!! i actually switched my schedule around so i wouldnt be there the day they came in and the day or two after (so most of the customers had picked up theirs before i came in.. i just couldnt handle it..especially when the customers would talk about how “juicy” they were last year and blah blah blah.. this one lady actually made me kinda mad.. a couple of days before thanksgiving she was goin on and on and on and then was like “those turkeys are walking around peckin the ground.. dont even know their numbers’ up” i looked at her and said “what a nice thought” and walked away… i have a hard time with people eating meat around me.. i always feel like i am at someones funeral instead of dinner ya know?

• Just had to chime in on this one. I work and live at a Buddhist retreat center in central California, which serves wonderfully delicious, local, organic, vegetarian (mostly vegan) cuisine, buffet style, three times a day at no real cost of mine. That, plus I have access to the cooler, leftovers and all the other goodies (which thankfully includes things such as dates, goji berries, and raw tahini) lying around at any time of the day. Ahhh! Nights were and sometimes still are very difficult (many a’ relapse during transitioning involved binging in that cooler of leftovers). But, when I went 100% raw two months ago, my confidence was boosted in knowing that if I can go raw here, I can go raw anywhere! We can all do it.

Best to you all,

-Dave:)

• Slosh-uhSlosh-uh Raw Newbie

hey dave, you don’t happen to work at the one in east bay do you? I live in SF and have been kinda looking to go over there to check it out.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

I am a massage thrapist, so if I try to eat the things I work with I will be a canibal!:(

I don’t know how you cope!

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I’ve been a raw vegan for several years and I live on the premises of my family’s store and restaurant. They still use the recipes for chili and chicken fried steak that I created years ago. It doesn’t bother me one bit. Most people that stop here love the food and I’m happy that my folks have the business. People make their own choices. Sometimes people ask for vegetarian meals and we fix them. No one has ever expressed an interest in eating raw, except me. We have salad available for anyone who might ask. I try not to force my ideals on anyone and I appreciate when ideals are not forced on me.

• Slosh-uh,

I’m working at the Land of Medicine Buddha, which is just outside Santa Cruz, near Soquel Village. You should come check it out here too, if you’re coming south.

Best,

-Dave:)

• I’ve been trolling this website for months, but just now joined up to respond to this post. I co-own and operate a pizza place in a college town. Yes, I cook pizza seven days a week. We’ve been open for about three years, and I’ve been raw for the past four months or so. Well, mostly raw. Most of the time I’m pretty good at entertaining my tastebuds with my raw creations. But…once every couple of weeks or so I break down and have a pizza. That’s the thing, though. I’ve tried to stop looking at it as a digression, and nothing more than a poor food choice. I think if I had a life outside of work it would be easier to not ever eat the pizza, but I basically live here about 13 hours every day. On the upside, though, I think it makes it easier for me, food-prep wise. I’m in a kitchen all day so I can do little things here and there in between pizza orders. It’s just my boyfriend and myself, no employees to deal with, so there’s a lot of freedom. It’s strange, though…I eat mostly raw food, my boyfriend lives on fast food, and we operate a pizza delivery business.

Ditto to 123’s comment: ” I try not to force my ideals on anyone and I appreciate when ideals are not forced on me.” , although there is some strangeness about running a business that is now unaligned with my personal interests.

amy

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Amy, I’m sure that you have more than one interest. The food/hosptality industry is one in which you make your customers happy. People who order pizza would not be happy with a green smoothie. Customer satisfaction is inline with your interests. I would like for us to use organic produce and grass-fed beef in our restaurant. It isn’t feasible and an occasional healthy meal isn’t going to save the people of the world from themselves. They made the choice to eat as they do.

• i run a food co-op near santa barbara, and for me, i think that if not for my destined path at the co-op in this land of plentiful organic produce almost all year round (54% local produce at the co-op in march!), i would never have even considered being raw vegan in the first place. it’s kind of the opposite situation of many: to much access to too much good food all the time… of course, it’s hard when stronghearts brings in fresh baked vegan donuts and cupcakes in the morning, but it really makes me feel lucky to have access to a ripe avocado or young coconut whenever i need it the most. not to mention that when our local raw foods chef stopped delivering to the co-op, i took over his role and started making raw entrees in house, getting to use my raw culinary skills for the greater good. i taught a staff person the art of raw, cut our costs by a LOT (and now we’re makin’ profit on my raw-ness). i guess some things have a way of aligning themselves to work out. the hardest part is to not spend too much $$ in the store during the day.

melissa

• i run a food co-op near santa barbara, and for me, i think that if not for my destined path at the co-op in this land of plentiful organic produce almost all year round (54% local produce at the co-op in march!), i would never have even considered being raw vegan in the first place. it’s kind of the opposite situation of many: to much access to too much good food all the time… of course, it’s hard when stronghearts brings in fresh baked vegan donuts and cupcakes in the morning, but it really makes me feel lucky to have access to a ripe avocado or young coconut whenever i need it the most. not to mention that when our local raw foods chef stopped delivering to the co-op, i took over his role and started making raw entrees in house, getting to use my raw culinary skills for the greater good. i taught a staff person the art of raw, cut our costs by a LOT (and now we’re makin’ profit on my raw-ness). i guess some things have a way of aligning themselves to work out. the hardest part is to not spend too much $$ in the store during the day.

melissa

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Luna – Your post had me laughing so hard I could hardly stop enough to tell my dad what I was laughing at :D HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

• I work as the chef at a vegetarian restaurant and bakery. I have a lot of freedom in what I make but the manager of the restaurant feels it would be too expensive to buy raw ingredients…. :-( We are going to do an all raw dinner special soon though! I do have to taste a lot of the things I make but I try to keep it minimal (and obviously I don’t taste things that are just REALLLLLY icky like egg salad and veggie cream cheese). I don’t like having to eat some of the cooked food but I see my work as a service to the community I live in (it is an on campus restaurant run by students at my college). I love to bake too, so that is a plus. I get to bake all I want without having to eat a bite and I know that my creation will be enjoyed by everyone who eats it. I bless everything I make. I do feel conflicted about serving people so much sugar, flour, and oil though. It’s true though, people do make their own food choices and odds are that a college student is better off eating something made by me rather than buying packaged food or eating the food from the cafeteria.

As for the meat thing, I could never work anywhere where I had to deal with meat. Unfortunately that really limits me as a restaurant chef. I am very grateful for the job I have though.

• I work at STARBUCKS. I bring my smoothies and juices to work and drink them in front of the customers and everyone. I have no desire to have a frapp. It all looks like plastic food to me. I notice 80% of people who order a latte or any other drink with milk… have the worst skin. pimples, etc. People are disgustingly grouchy before they receive their quick fix. They find their “addictions” quite humorous.

• so i don’t work with the food exactly, but i do work in a conference center where there is free food every day for lunch. it’s not very delicious, but it still manages to tempt me. grr, evil sterno cuisine…