100% raw questions

so now that i’m 100% raw…

i have some questions:

1) date syrup: how do you make it?

2) vanilla extract: how can i make my own (i don’t have a vitamix, so i can’t blend the whole bean). can i steep it in something to get the flavors out of the bean?

Comments

• you make date syrup by blending dates with water. you can scrap out the inside of the vanilla bean, and then you don’t have to use the whole one. you can also buy vanilla powder.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

do you strain the syrup, or does it just come out smooth?

i do scrape out the inside, but i feel silly wasting the pod. but vanilla powder just gave me an idea… maybe i could dehydrate the pod, then grind it up in my coffee grinder. hmmm…

• that’s a good idea. don’t strain the date syrup though… that is NOT a good idea ;)

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

with the date syrup, if you add tiny amounts of salt and keep tasting and blending as you add more and more, you will end up with very authentic caramel sauce/syrup which is totally to die for, well I should say To Live For!! It takes about 1/2 to 1 teasp salt per 500 ml, but adding it bit by bit is the best way.

• YUM caramel sauce! i think it is also delicious with some fat in there… like flax oil, almond butter or tahini… caramel wants fat…

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

thanks!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

cor yeah, caramel+fat=;))))

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

I was going to post a bit on glycerine based extracts, but I looked it up and glycerine isn’t raw. I imagine you could take the vanilla and a sweetener, put them in a jar and let them sit 6 weeks, aggitating daily. Then use that. It works for sugar, glycerine and alcohol. I might try it myself soon. At the moment I have no raw sweeteners.

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

Or you could always do your very good idea of dehydrating and then grinding. Mmm vanilla.