Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Maranatha Nut Butter warning

achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

I notice several of my local health food stores stock the Maranatha brand of raw nut butters. I just wanted to share that this brand of nut butter is not actually raw. The “raw” version is unroasted, but they grind the nut butters at temperatures well above what raw foodists would consider acceptable for raw consumption.

Just wanted to share this info with newbies who are interested in buying raw nut butters in the future. :)

Comments

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Artisana brand almond butter is really raw, if interested. It’s also the super-yummiest! Most of their other nut butters have some cashews mixed in, though.

• Yes, damn them! I was sad the day i called the company to ask them about this.

sigh. i can’t afford artisana. nope. I just stopped using nutbutters. shrug.

• Another one bites the dust. I have their “raw” tahini in the fridge right now.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I’ve never bought any nut butter because it seems too much lke processed food. Apparently, Maranatha IS processed food!

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

mango woman: I’ll see if I can find a cheap place online to buy Artisana nut butters. :)

• blujett8blujett8 Raw Newbie

yes. I found this to be true also of Trader Joe’s “raw” items….nut butters and bagged nuts as well ! I felt not so great after eating some of their almond butter, gave them a call to find out that “raw” just means unroasted! LOL! good to know.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

blujett8- actually, if you read the label on the “raw” tj’s almond butter i think it says “ingredients: raw roasted almonds” ??? i always wondered what that meant.

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

Raw roasted almonds?? Wow, they must really think a lot of people are suckers to fall for that, lol. Yeah, I found out that a lot of nuts labeled “raw” aren’t actually unheated, they’re just untoasted/unroasted. So I’ve been cutting wayyy back on all nuts except walnuts.

That’s good to know about TJ’s raw nuts. I’ve bought raw pine nuts from them in the past, but I’ve always been a little suspicious, since it’s certified organic, but imported from China. But it’s also not raw, huh? Not cool! :)

• tdgtdg Raw Newbie

Oh no! I have some of the Maranatha “raw” almond butter in the fridge now. Ugh! That is so frustrating!

Raw roasted almonds? How is that possible? It is either raw or roasted….

tdg: Hey, I’m still trying to use up my cold-pressed olive oil. It’s cold-pressed, but probably heated to 160 degrees or more, so it’s not raw. All part of the learning process, I suppose! :)

• what cold pressed oil are heated that high? I read that they were heated to 120F or does it vary depending on the company?

I have Rapunzel cold-pressed sesame oil, heated up to 140 degrees.

I also have Spectrum cold-pressed olive oil. I’m not sure what temperature it’s pressed at, but in Eating For Beauty, David Wolfe stated cold-pressed olive oils are usually heated to 160 degrees or more. It’s possible my olive oil is raw, but I have some doubts. The only way to find out is to check with the manufacturer. Stone-pressed olive oil should be raw (but it’s spendy!).

I believe you’re ok with cold-pressed flax and hemp oil. They should be raw. :)

mango woman: Ok, try rawvegansource.com for pretty good prices on Artisana Nut Butters. You need to enter coconut butter under Search to find this particular item. :)

• On the spectrum website its says their cold pressed is at 120F so I guess that ones ok. I guess Ill just have to check before I buy though!

• What brands of vegan butter would be considered raw??

The three raw brands I’m familiar with are Artisana, Living Tree Community and Rejuvenative Foods. Artisana is probably the most economical of the three.

smoothielove: Thanks for the info! :)