Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

"Baby Mama"

I went and saw “Baby Mama” with Tina Fey and Amy Poehler today (and loved it). There’s one scene in the movie where Tina Fey and Greg Kinnear go on a date…to a raw vegan restaurant. The waiter assures them that the special of the day tastes “earthy…like dirt” and then serves them a “yeast ball” which looks like a blob of raw bread dough. Then of course the couple runs as fast as they can to find meat elsewhere.

1) Seriously…would it even be possible to make a “yeast ball” that is raw vegan, that doesn’t have processed flour in it? These inconsistencies in scripts drive me bananas! 2) Isn’t it funny that a diet filled with juicy delicious foods is so completely misunderstood? If my watermelon could laugh… 3) Even though the screenwriter got it wrong, I still found myself pumped that a raw food restaurant was mentioned. We’re gaining ground in the consciousness of the media, and eventually all the truth about what raw food is will follow. I have faith!

Comments

• So true. This reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend today. I find it funny that people actually look afraid of my food; like it’s going to hurt them. I hear things like, “No way. I’m not touching that!” There is alot of misunderstanding. But as you mentioned, there’s much more attention given to raw food.

• these people who look like they are afraid of “real food” are the same people that ask “whats in it” when you are serving something.. but when you kindly point out “whats in” their food, they act like strange synthetic chemicals and rotting flesh, mammary secretions, menstrual waste, and fake flavorings and colorings are normal!!

• Yes Audrey. I thought the same thing when I saw this movie. But the waiter says that the yeast is for the table? So maybe they weren’t supposed to eat it. Anyway, a similar joke was made in the move Grandma’s Boy, which I love. But David Spade is the waiter and they’re making fun of taking shots of wheatgrass juice. The guy responds with, “yeah, if you wanna be sober and vomit.” Amazingly, the group then all decides to go to “Tommy burger” to eat. Funny movie, but it hurts to see your lifestyle attacked like that. One of these days it will all change.

• Hi kids. interesting post, i once made a vegi cheese made from ground sunflower seeds and bouillon powder, left to mature in a warm place, rolled into balls, its not raw though. Audrey’s point about media acceptance, what about fruitarians, some might say extremely raw, i couldnt do it, would you like to live without plants, is honey a bee or plant product? Some eat raw eggs, fish. If we cant agree, what are the media going to make of it? Cheerio for now.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

That reminds me of the movie “Grandma’s Boy” with a vegan restaurant scene. Utterly hilarious. I love seeing this kind humor in movies. Maybe because my own humor is pretty crass, too, haha.

• loveskale wrote “menstrual waste”...are you serious????

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

audrey—that’s indeed sad. i actually get a little pang of frustration any time there is a cooked meal in a movie now though… like you just want to tell them: “don’t you know???”

have you seen the part of notting hill where hugh grant has a blind date with a fruitarian. she’s portrayed like a flaky lunatic and says the boiled carrots were murdered.

but it’s a good sign these things are being mentioned because it gets people asking questions…

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

zaphira, OMG WHAT AN AWESOME TAT!!!! did you design it? beautiful…

Guys, I can understand your”frustration” about being poked fun at in the movies, but lets get serious here…every “alternative” life style, every “out of the norm” look, idea, way of being is poked fun at in the media.I like to call it PUBLICITY ;0)...and i think the best way to deal with it is to have a great sence of humor about it…those movie scenes where hysterical! the frutarian one had me in stitches….

• anngoingrawanngoingraw Raw Newbie

I’m new, but I have seen two things:

People don’t want to know what they’re eating, and they say that explicitly: don’t tell me.

People don’t bear that others eat different things. I don’t know if it is due to inconsciently they know they’re eating bad, or if it is related to different reasons, but they can’t see you’re not drinking coke, you’re eating sweets… so if you eat raw… they go mad!

• I know it’s SO funny. People can be so afraid to try fresh, raw, unprocessed food. But they’ll gobble up a McDonalds Hamburger like it’s the safest, tastiest thing on earth! I don’t know where that mindset comes from, but I believe it is mostly fear. Too bad! Whenever I have company over and they don’t eat my raw food, I just say, that’s okay just more for me! :-)

• jenny2052jenny2052 Raw Newbie

Audrey, I was going to post after I saw the movie, too. It’s so funny, though because even though I knew that they were getting the whole idea wrong (the “blue-green algae” looked like big flat noodles dyed blue), I still couldn’t figure out what would possibly be in the “yeast ball” (at which point I whispered to my boyfriend that yeast wasn’t raw). But of course – it seemed to be just raw standard bread dough, which isn’t raw either. I’m just amused that I didn’t even recognize the bread dough as what it was because I was expecting to see something gross, but actually raw.

• Maybe that’s why people make fun of healthy eating choices in real life, because they see it being made fun of on tv. It’s too easy to make jokes like that. Whenver I see those jokes onscreen, I think “Come on people, come up with something more original!” Although I am a fan of the two girls and I do look forward to seeing this movie. Whenever we get asked at Thanksgiving or something some common comment about not eating meat, my hubby always said, “Well we’ve never heard that one before” jokingly of course b/c we’ve heard them all, and it always seems to get people to laugh and change the subject, it’s great!

• omshanti-Thank you-it’s a variation of something I saw once.

could someone PLEASE answer what the “menstrual waste” stuff loveskale is refering to, or was it in jest? (or ingest…yes, I know I’m a cornball-notice I didn’t say cheeseball or yeastball!)

• AKAAuburnEyesAKAAuburnEyes Raw Newbie

pianissima whenever I see the term Fruitarian I am instantly transported back to that scene in Notting Hill. Years ago when I first saw the movie I laughed, never ever knowing at the time that there really is such a thing as a Fruitarian diet. Now I see it all so differently. I can still laugh even as I am thankful that my horizons have been broadened :)

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

I love the raw restaurant scenes in Sex In The City… ok… to be truthful… it was the guy that really caught my eye. 8o)

• jenny2052jenny2052 Raw Newbie

Zaphirah, I think that reference is to eggs, as they are unfertilized potential chickens.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

hmmm…i guess i am lucky but most people in my life are pretty accepting of my food and even want to do it themselves. I guess they are pretty similar to me though. (I live in a bit of a bubble in seattle.) It’s usually the names of things that can freak people out. it’s their mental mindset. Like my friend’s husband who won’t even try vegan food because it’s vegan. even my husband is guilty of this. he liked his smoothie until I told him it has lettuce in it. then he freaked out.

• ahhh, thank you jenny. That makes sense. I couldn’t figure that one out for the life of me. LOL!

• southernloversouthernlover Raw Newbie

AKAAuberneyes- I remember that in Knotting Hill, too, and I thought it was hilarious, but I still thought people like that were nuts! Isn’t crazy how we change? I am sooo glad that I have an open mind now!

• AKAAuburnEyesAKAAuburnEyes Raw Newbie

I am too southernlover :) I find there is no end to learning now that I am more open minded!

• southernloversouthernlover Raw Newbie

Someone from this site just sent me this online book/video deal about PACE training exercise. I haven’t finished listening to it yet, but it is completely changing my thoughts on how to work out. It’s really crazy!

• zephirah sunflower… menstrual waste = eggs say it like it is and people really start to think about their food!

• You have to admit that making a joke about murdering carrots is pretty funny. And that just because we’re cool with fruitarianism and we get it doesn’t mean we can’t or shouldn’t laugh at the joke. If everyone was completely serious about everything all of the time and didn’t enjoy comedy, I’d be out of a job. Besides, half of what’s so funny about these jokes in movies is how much they get it wrong!

• kundalalitakundalalita Raw Newbie

ah man! loveskale is making me laugh and get grossed out and happy about my lifestyle at the same time hahaha!

• synapsynap Raw Newbie

I noticed that scene too. It seems that the "raw food" culture is becoming more and more recognized in mainstream culture.

I notice a few other things of interest in Baby Mama. There was a bit of interesting discussion about the juice bar and the ingredients of the drinks. And the character Steve Martin plays seems to parallel the Whole Foods markets company founder.

• steviostevio Raw Newbie

I was watching episode 9 of True Blood Last night, where there was a raw foodist who in episode 10 we learn is a organic raw vegan with a miniscule carbon footprint.