Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Soy Controversy

MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

I just read this article this morning and it piqued my curiosity. I’d be curious to read others thoughts. (BTW I’m not advocating soy in any form.) I will say though that I respect a lot ( not all ) of what is promoted on this website. http://www.womentowomen.com/nutritionandweightl…?

Comments

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

soy propanganda!

—soy is one of the 3 biggest GMO crops!

—soy has negative health benefits when eaten raw, and has supposed benefits only when TRADITIONALLY fermented. but we are now adding it to everything, and vegetarians think they can use soy as their substitute for every and any animal product. when she says soy is eaten my millions in the world she forgets that these “millions” aren’t eating very much, and they aren’t using it as a replacement for another food.

—causes mucus in the body, more so than dairy.

i think the soy think is pretty scary because it’s a frankenfood that is gaining headway as a substitute for milk. soy is a lot easier and cheaper to grown (you don’t have to take “care” of your crops like cows) and it is a HUGE business for chemical companies who produce the pesticides, herbicides and GM seeds to keep it going…

clearly i have a strong opinion on this ;)

• Hmmmm…...Soy helps relieve menopausal symptoms, Soy does not cause breast cancer, Soy is a great formula to feed infants, Monsanto has nothing to do with producing probably the world’s largest GMO Soy Crops and feeding this to the public…

Oh, and we have some land for sale on the planet Mars, if anyone is interested.

Maybe the question we should consider is who are the professionals of Women to Women? I read some things written by Marcelle Pick. Her comments were a lot like my OB/GYN’s. Which I have definitely learned to take with a grain of salt. Just because they are professionals does not mean they truly know everything they are talking about. Women to Women suggest using bioidentical hormones to relieve symptoms of menopause and perimenopause. I would not put anything like bioidentical hormones in my body. You might as well just start buying GMO produce.

Discover the truth about your health…

http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/articles/Wrig….

Marichiesa – From reading the article you posted, to me it sounds like the professionals behind Women-to-Women need to go back and ask more questions why “soy” is still not being supported. Dig deeper, to find more facts about soy, before they start supporting it and advicing women to not worry about the effects it will have on their health. Some of those answers will be found by just looking at the production of the soy seed. Other answers could be seen looking at eating the soy bean raw and then looking at the processing procedure.

Another question to consider…Who are Women-to-Women’s major supporters?

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

Thanks Guys for your input. I agree with your comments. I couldn’t help but note to myself that the so called asian diet that “thrives” on soy is actually primarily vegetable based. The amounts of soy eaten are nothing like what we tend to ingest in the west. So clearly that takes us back to Health=FreshVeg.Crazy world huh?

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Have you heard of Morgellen’s disease from GMO food consumption?

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

I think it is interesting that Women-toWomen should talk about misinformation because I thought their article was full of misinformation.

Today, most grain-fed, farmed cattle have soy miled into their feed suply. Absent that, animals and birds will not eat soy. That is something that really influenced me. If animals won’t eat it then why would I want to eat it?

In the Women-to-Women article, I think the comments made about soy and hypothyroidism are more than misleading. Isoflavins block the cell receptor sites that uptake thyroid hormones. This is the case for natural thyroid hormones and synthetic medication. In other words, soy interferes with your body’s ability to use thyroid hormones or medications intended to correct hypothyroidism. This causes thyroid disorders and complicates the disease for those with thyroid problems. When I first started trying to understand my thyroid problems (because my doctor didn’t have a damn clue as long as the TSH test came back okay), I read there is a much higher incident of hypothyroidism in children raised on soy formula than any other type of infant nutrition.

When the FDA was contemplating whether or not to allow soy products to be labelled with health benefits, several FDA scientists said soy was dangerous but they were ignored just like most FDA scientists that disagree with the FDA’s corporate clients. Dr. Andrew Weil has commented publicly about the adverse effects of consuming soy. Finally, it is absurd to claim soy is responsible for the health benefits of Asian populations. #1 – They don’t eat SAD. Duh. And they don’t consume anywhere the levels of soy that we do.

I might enjoy some miso soup now and again. I have occasionally eaten an edamame appetizer, but other than that I avoid soy. Finally, who wants to put more money in Monsanto’s pockets?

123 – Yes I have and since this is the kind of story that scares people and drives media ratings, it is telling that mainstream media hasn’t covered it yet. If you look at the owners of mainstream media you will see most of them have agribiz connections.

• There is more soy in our food today than ever before..I knew a lady that’s child was allergic to soy and she said it’s so hard to find items that don’t have some sort of soy in them..I try to stay away from soy after reading a few books about the dangers of soy..In my opinion, not to be insulting but, many vegans eat way too much soy and I think this will put their health in danger..

• I have also heard negative things about soy in regards to it’s association with breast cancer. As this runs in my family, why would I take the chance? I steer clear.

• rawpatiencerawpatience Raw Newbie

My son is allergic to soy. Soy lecithin is in EVERYTHING…it’s one of the main things that lead me to a raw lifestyle.

Monsanto genetically modifies the seeds, makes people ill and owns several drug companies that, amazingly, have come up with some medical treatments for the diseases. I’m not a conspiracy theorist am I? I actually think I’m a conspiracy realist, based on the evidence that has been presented. Corn and wheat are on the list of highly genetically modified foods too. GMO rice is a newcomer.

• BeTheChangeBeTheChange Raw Newbie

Yeah, the onslaught of soy in our culture is really frightening…

When I was making my original transition to raw, I was having this craving for protein (I was one of the vegans that was eating soy for half of my daily protein, at least). I had a block of tofu in the cupboard and had a couple bites of it, after 2 weeks of being 100% raw. My body churned. My nose started to run. I felt heavy, like how you feel your blood get heavy when you drink caffeine. After that day, I stray as far from soy as possible, because I realized my body did not want it, at least not in that processed form.

However, when I was living in THailand, I had REAL soymilk all the time, and I loved it, as did my body. Hardly processed, just blended smooth with water. It was so creamy and delicious, like a dessert! SO this makes me wonder—when soy is not GMO and not processed and in its raw state, is it ok to consume? Of course, I wouldn’t trust any soy here nowadays, but it does make me wonder…

What are people’s thoughts about Silk Brand soymilk? They’ve been claiming that they are GMO-free forever, but I find it so hard to believe because of their MASS producing company! They’re everywhere! Does anyone know anything about this?

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i used to eat WAY to much soy. but it was easier for me to digest than beans. i have not craved it once since going raw (ok, maybe once).

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

I babysat and took care of babies and toddlers for some 25 plus years and saw horrible intestinal damage and pain done to them from soy formula. When I was a kid I remember “doctors” in the U.S. trying to convince women of the bad health of their breast milk and to feed soy formula instead of breast feeding. Of course, soy forumlas were also loaded with corn syrup, which is why babies just “loved” it so much. It makes me sick to think of what whores U.S. doctors are, willing to put babies through such pain for a buck.

• I’m very curious about one thing. Does anyone have any information/opinion on how a large portion of Asia has been eating soy for hundreds- thousands of years, and they have low health issues and have been obviously thriving?

They ate it fermented and didn’t have GMO crops.

Soy has also not been a regular food in their diet. i think they mainly intake miso and don’t add chunks of tofu to their diet. Also, their diet is high in vegetables and, depending on where they live, seafood. They also eat sea vegetables. Finally, while their food is cooked, it is stir fried in a wok and only flash cooked on the outside. Their vegetables are still raw on the inside so they have been eating a higher percentage of raw vegetables than most.

• i was under the impression that the soy in tofu and soy milk isnt the scary kind.. its the kind that is in your potato chips and cookies and crackers and other strange products that have a long list of ingredients.. pre packaged food etc… i guess anything can be bad if thats all your diet consists of.. if all you are eating is tofu, soy burgers, soy milk and soy ice cream and other “dairy and meet free alternatives” then where is the rest of your nutrition??! being vegan.. and especially being raw.. is about changing the way you eat.. not finding a bunch of unhealthy strange alternatives to the food you used to eat.. and its also about a VARIETY!! that is really important.. a variety of food is important in getting the nutrition you need.. so if you are consuming a whole bunch of soy, then chances are you are denying yourself nutrition from other foods that you should be eating! i dont think soy is as scary as some claim it is.. though i recognize that it isnt for everyone, as some are allergic to it and so on but i say soy is fine.. in moderation..

Asia and soy:

1) There is no such country as “Asia”.

2) There is no such race as “Asian”.

3) Asia is comprised of many countries and many cultures. Some of these people eat soy and others do not. Any paper or report that makes claims of “Asians” as a group eating soy or not eating soy is not a report that should be taken seriously. That goes for the pro soyists and the anti soyists. Yes, I made that word up:-D

• Interesting.

123- I agree on the GMO. Those evil things obviously weren’t around back in the day.. but not all soy eaten throughout Asia is fermented… [?]

Meditating- Do you have information to back up your opinion-statement of “soy has also not been a regular food in their diet”? Clearly you can see that Japan has been using tofu for a very long time- and not as a meat alternative, but as a low fat source of filling protein to spread out the more expensive things like vegetables. They do the same thing with rice.

Loveskale- Yeah, I was basically referring to soy foods that aren’t AS processed, coming from whole, non GMO soy beans. [homemade soy yogurt for example, or tofu, or tempeh.] Variety is key, and I definitely agree with that.

Alix1962- Read carefully and you’ll surely see that i did NOT refer to Asia as a country, nor did I refer to anyone as Asian. Asia is a continent, a region, whatever.. Just as Europe is. People refer to others living in Europe as Europeans in very general senses from time to time. If you can’t accept that, then there’s something wrong. As far as you providing any actual information, you didn’t.. Thanks though. ;)

Thanks everyone. :)

No need to be so rude, mango woman. I didn’t target you, did I??

• Considering you wrote in regards to the question I had posted… I believe you were posting in response to what I had said. [Makes sense, no?] Rude simply wasn’t my intention. There are better things in life than being rude over an online community designed to bring people together. ;) Maybe reread your initial post and see how it came across as very rude to begin with?

Posturing with me is utterly useless.

• tsk, tsk. ;)

• BeTheChangeBeTheChange Raw Newbie

Alix1962, you should watch the documentary called “The Business of Being Born”. It is about how doctors treat childbirth and pregnancy and babies like objects and not real beings of our Planet. Very interesting, very shameful, VERY disturbing. “whores” does not even begin to describe what doctors are in the childbirth “industry” in our country.

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

Mango woman….in regards to the asian culture eating soy for hundreds- even thousands of years….they didn’t eat it unless it was time of famine. If you want more info., as well as over 200 articles relating to soy and it’s negative effects, as well as history, etc., go to my website: www.taoistlife.com. At the bottom of the page there is a link to soy and soy studies. I spent a good year compiling data on soy. The website is not very good as I am horrible at web stuff and my husband doesn’t have time to help me with it. But, regardless of that, the info. is sound.

• SpiritedMama -

Thanks for the information on soy, soy studies, and processed foods and canola oil at your website. Thank you for taking the time to put all of those studies in a collection for easy access. It is Wonderful!!! Job Well Done!

Thanks for Sharing!

• geniusrawmodel23geniusrawmodel23 Raw Newbie

Wow, you really did your homework!! Great job! It’s nice to get that kind of information.

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

You are welcome….I am not a web designer, so I know the site is not complete…so much more to add. But, I always make sure that the info. on the “bad” stuff is up to date. I am glad you got some good info. on it. It took me almost 2 years to research, compare, compile, and put the info. on the website.

SPIRITEDMAMA - Thank you for your soy research and links. I particularly liked the article on plant sterols possibly contributing to coronary heart disease (CHD), despite it being a ver small study group. This poduct is currently being promoted to help those concerned about getting CHD due to elevated cholesterol. The commercials leave this tidbit out.

This piqued my interest and I poked around a while looking for info on these studies. Sterols are found naturally in fresh fruits and veggies. Interestingly enough, it appears the studies promoting these products failed to compare their benefits to those of eating fruits/veggies for the same result. Craziness.