Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

A natural, whole food to wash my face with?

MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

I’ve been using baking soda with water on my face at the end of the day, and it’s done a pretty good job at keeping my skin clear.

But I’d like to switch to a more natural product for cleansing my face. Any ideas?

Comments

• KevlarKevlar Raw Newbie

I just wash my face with water.

It took me a long time to figure out that soap was actually causing my skin problems.

• RawVoiceRawVoice Raw Newbie

Try olive oil! It’s a wonderful cleanser. Just coat your face with it. Dampen a wash cloth with comfortably hot water, and lay it over your face for a minute. Then just wipe all the olive oil off. It’s wonderfully refreshing, cleans your face and takes off makeup, including mascara. It’s so simple, and it works great.

• BeTheChangeBeTheChange Raw Newbie

That’s an interesting point about the olive oil as a “soap”. I had forgotten that the Greeks did just this for their whole bodies! It’s funny how easy it is for the good, traditional, tried-and-true remedies to be lost due to the need for a better marketable product. ...They would just coat it on and then scrape it right off!

• worleyhimself2worleyhimself2 Raw Newbie

honey i heard is a good facial cleanser, as well as coconut oil or cacao butter. anything antibacterial. just don’t use garlic. i don’t think it will buff out too well. lol

i wash with dr bronners soap. I wash my face twice a week.

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

I use extra virgin coconut oil – you can remove it with a tissue or damp wash cloth. You can give yourself a mini facial massage at the same time!

• I second honey and olive oil. I believe honey was once used for wounds because of it’s antibacterial properties. It is funny BeTheChange how far humans have truly strayed. I would imagine baking soda being a bit harsh….bu I do have sensitive skin. I right now am not washing my face. My prescriptions have done a # on my skin and even olive oil is making it dry. Steaming in the steam room is making it dry….so lots of coconut oil for me!

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Explore “old” remedies before using them. Sometimes what use to work doesn’t work today because the “product” has changed. An example of this is the “old” remedy of using butter on a burn. DON’T DO THIS. The butter of today is very different than the butter of “yesteryear”. Butter use to contain something that helped heal burns. That substance is no longer present in today’s butter.

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

I used to use honey and olive oil together. Lather it, let it sit, then rinse it off. You can also use more acidy fruits’ purees. You put it on, let it sit a minute and wash off. OR if you make mint tea, the leftover leaves (leftover because it is strong otherwise) can be turned into a paste and applied. You leave it on about 5 minutes & rinse. Then you feel very tingly and clean.

I’m sure there are more things I cannot think of, I used to have really bad skin I OUGHT to remember. But if I think of it I will post it.

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

I don’t use a food to clean my face, but the product I use has food in it. I use a product made by Rose Mountain Herbs called Cleansing Grains, which is made from white clay, oat bran, almond meal, corn meal, rose petal powder and essential oils. The grains gently exfoliate your face and the oat bran and rose petal powder soothe the skin. You can also put it on thicker and let it dry like a mask. When I am at home and have just used an avacado, I wipe the inside of the peel all over my face and neck as the oils are really great for your skin.