Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Best food/herb for cold sore?

My hubby broke out with THREE cold sores on his mouth today….yikes. As a side note, he’s a Texas boy raised on chicken fried steak, biscuits, and gravey and because he’s always been thin and pretty healthy (he’s an athlete) I guess he’s never felt the need to change his diet much. BUT, he’s turning 50 this year and is now starting to become more conscientious of his longer term health potential moving into the 2nd half of his life. I’m excited he has been eating alot healthier lately….no meat and tons of raw veggies for the last two weeks, and he’s going to do the MC with me starting this weekend. I digress. Anyways I want to be as supportive as possible. Cold sores are not new for him, but this is the first time he’s broken out that bad. I feel sorry for him because he is often in client meetings and I think it’s a bit embarrassing for him. Anyways I was just wondering if anybody has any experience treating them so they disappear more quickly??

Comments

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

The best thing to do, is to treat them when the tingling starts, before it atually errupts. But you can treat them the same way with tea tree oil mixed into something like coconut or shea butters, or in a pinch, take a tea bag(black tea) and soak it in hot water, then press to the sores.

My husband gave me the only cold sore I’ve had in my life and I’ve had only one outbreak. I felt the pain and slapped a hot, soaked tea bag on it. It never fully errupted and looked just like a rough, dry spot for a couple of days. Every other warning pain, I used either tea bag or my own tea tree oil blend and the sore never came again, ever.

If you make a balm with the tea tree oil and a butter, you can add a couple of drops of clove oil to stop the pain.

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

on this site, someone else suggested putting a little grapefruit seed extract on. I haven’t tried it, but it’s worth a try. I hate those things, but fortunately, haven’t had many since changing my diet and stressing less.

• L-lysine knocks them out for me

• rawpatiencerawpatience Raw Newbie

Okay I know he takes L-lysine supplements when an outbreak occurs, but I was thinking of a topical treatment on top of that. I’ve heard of tea tree oil so that might be a good one to try and I’ll look into the grape seed extract too. Thanks for feedback!

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

You can get lysine ointment. Lemon balm creme hekps and 3 drops GSE in 1 tablespoon oil too.

• Growing up, whenever I got a cold sore, my mom would crush a few leaves of oregano and would mix it with a little vaseline to make it stick. She would put it on the cold sore when I went to bed, and by morning, it was always much better.

• You can look into GSE grapefruit seed extract if you do a search on here : GSE it should pull up an old forum that was dicussed on here about colds sores and GSE..

PEace