Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

are you looking for OPTIMUM health?

SystemSystem Raw Newbie

HI everyone, i am curious to know if youre raw because you are looking for a better health. (of course, we do it also for the animals, ecology, planet, etc…)

And if you want a better health with raw food, do you still change or try new things?(combination, quit some food, try a specific diet.)

Cauz, to be honest, we can be raw and eat things that are not always the best for us! Like eating many deshydrated food, to many nuts for example. I was wondering about you cauz, for me, since i am independant from my parents, the way i eat changes so many times! Meat to vegetarian- to vegan- to raw and now i am still change things and discover more reactions on my body since i am raw. For example, everytime i eat banana, i have a bad reaction in my gut. That i never realise before raw. So, are you looking for optimum way to eat?

I wish i could live out of town, pik the fresh fruits from the trees and swim into the sea! One day i will! Thank you Karine

Comments

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

Yes, I definitely have been on “The Quest for Optimum Health” LOL for probably 10 years. I am a recovering compulsive and binge eater from way back. I was never what you’d call heavy as I would excessively exercise to counteract the excess. I have fought horrible cravings as I have tried to go raw and it was way worse than when I was eating cooked “healthy” omnivore (3-4 oz meat, lots of veggies and some cooked grain) I had managed to quit sugar for 2 yrs ar so, but I never quit the breads and such and would binge on them. I eventually started eating sweets again (just a little taste and that’s it, yeah—right!) When I went raw I ate way too much fat. I think this helped drive the cravings and my blood sugar was sill a problem.So, I have drastically reduced the fat and it is as if the lights just came on! The cravings are way less and I have more energy and a couple of blood glucose spot checks were great. I ate a lot of soaked almonds at a meal 2 days in a row (dang hormones!) and I really paid for it the second day. I have also been working on the emotional side of things so I am trying to take the “whole person” approach. Anyway, I feel like there is light at the end of the tunnel now and there is a huge basket of fruit there!LOL I wish everyone great success on their journey to health.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I eat intuitively, so my body has guided me through eating loads of dehydrated stuff, nuts and puddings to transition with, and into a much more simpler way of eating. I just do whatever I feel like and it is continually modifying and changing. For example I used to be able to eat raw cacao with the only problem I got from it being some cooked food cravings. Now when I have it I get totally wired, can’t sleep and get irritable. So I am not touching it any more.

I also used to use a lot of olive oil, not I just don’t like it and so I don’t use it anymore. I crave green juices, and guzzle pints and pints of cucumber, celery and mint juice all the time.

I love to just be all raw and let my body guide me. It has shown me the inifnate wisdom of my body. I don’t look for an optimum way to eat, I listen to body and do whatever it tells me to, this gives me my optimum path. It was the books of Victoria Boutenko who got me on to this from the very beginning, I am so grateful for her books.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

It was my quest for optimum health & listening to my body that intuitively led me back to eating a lot of raw food, even though I had tried eating raw once before, “failed” and thought I would NEVER eat raw again :) I don’t like being labelled as a “raw foodist” or a “vegetarian” or a “vegan” even at the times when I want to eat all raw plant foods. My goal is to be as healthy as possible & give my body exactly what it needs, so if I eat all raw, or give up nuts, or whatever, it’s like Zoe said – I do it because that’s what my body wants.

• angie! Congrats on your garden! I am green with envy! I haven’t even planted yet! Anyway, I assume that is a pic of your garden!

As for me, I am wanting to do this raw eating for health. However, as you progress, you may aquire other reasons! I have seen this in myself even though I am not totally raw yet!

gorawmom – Yes, just the peas, and close-up – the tallest is one inch tall! :D I’m getting sooooo excited – we now have planted: peas, corn, tomatoes, yellow tomatoes, little yellow pear shaped tomatoes, regular cucumbers, pickling cucumbers, broccoli, zucchini, yellow squash, potatoes, edible flowers, pumpkins & watermelons (although I’m wondering if the watermelons will make it – the plants are not looking so great since being transplanted…) Yay, garden! We also have oregano, thyme & sage that grow every year, and some garlic I planted last fall. We still need onions, beets & carrots, and then I think maybe we’ll be done planting for this year, except for some more corn in a couple of weeks so we can have a longer harvest. :) This is the most AMAZING year for a garden because my mom & I joined forces instead of her growing her stuff & me growing mine in a separate area! What are you going to plant?

• angie-I have a few tomatoe plants, cucumber plant, speriment, basil, cilantro, and of course flowers! I also have an asparagus that I started from seed a couple of years ago, and I will harvest next year, I am moving garden plots to an area that gets more sun and is closer to the house. When we moved here we had a weedy yard that had not been mowed all season, so it was a weed jungle. We found lots of seedling trees in amongst the weeds that we saved, and now they are getting tall and were blocking the sun to my old garden plot. Anyway, we have seeds for lettuce, squash, greens, onions, radish, ect. bj wants some sweet corn. He says it reeeal coutry and kind of sing songs it. Sweet corn, sweet corn, sweet corn! Ugh… hybrids! But I am not going to tell him about that for now. Just going to let him have his fun in the sun!

• angie-I have a few tomatoe plants, cucumber plant, speriment, basil, cilantro, and of course flowers! I also have an asparagus that I started from seed a couple of years ago, and I will harvest next year, I am moving garden plots to an area that gets more sun and is closer to the house. When we moved here we had a weedy yard that had not been mowed all season, so it was a weed jungle. We found lots of seedling trees in amongst the weeds that we saved, and now they are getting tall and were blocking the sun to my old garden plot. Anyway, we have seeds for lettuce, squash, greens, onions, radish, ect. bj wants some sweet corn. He says it reeeal coutry and kind of sing songs it. Sweet corn, sweet corn, sweet corn! Ugh… hybrids! But I am not going to tell him about that for now. Just going to let him have his fun in the sun! So, there you go, 12papilles, “fun in the sun” one more reason to go raw and live out of town, pik the fresh fruits from the trees and swim into the sea!

gorawmom – I LOVE raw asparagus! Awesome addition to any veggie tray, or I cut it little & marinate it. Yummy! Also, www.bountifulgardens.org sells all kinds of wonderful seeds, and none are hybrid or GMO! That’s funny about his song about corn. I think I know how he feels – I get more excited about the garden every day, and it’s just getting going – good stuff!

• Thanks, angie. I am looking at it now. I see the sweet corn section. I am wondering if I am too late to order for this year.

Maybe, but look at how long each variety takes to grow, & it depends on your climate. If you get an early variety, you may still get away with it? Or see if there’s a phone # or email link to ask them about it.

• rawpatiencerawpatience Raw Newbie

I too have been on a quest for optimum health but most of my nutrition research began three years ago when trying to deal with my sons allergies. I became fascinated with raw food because of the flavors. I started realizing that all cooked food was tasting the same and I was uninspired to eat what I had cooked. Now I just love the experimentation process with raw food and I also love the challenge of preparing all the great recipes on this site. I don’t know if I’ll stick with raw or not, there is SOOOO much conflicting information out there about raw vs. cooked so I think I will not be hard core about it but rather pay close attention to my body. I’m in the midst of the 10-day MC now and am hoping I’ll be more in tune with my body/mind/soul needs when I’m done.

• Wow, Its nice that so many people is looking to improve their quality of life. =D In my case I do what I feel its natural, something we are desgined for. The chinese people found the key of longevity long ago and it didnt had to do amything with being raw or even vegetarian. The key is “MODERATION”, and moderation in everything you do. Of course, this was thousand years ago and things change, they didnt had polluted air or meat and milk full of hormones, genetical modified beans and veggies daily showered in pesticides. So I believe that if you eat in moderation and just what you need and not what you “want”, then everythig is going to be okay. Something that works for me is mantain my normal diet on the week and sunday evening I eat something Im really craving for (Like soft dates or ice cream nuts.) Is a hard road to be healthy but if you discipline your mind and control your emotions (people tend to eat when they are happy or sad) one day you will realize that been healthy is something you do in a very natural way.