Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

30 day "quit your addiction" challenge

MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

In my other thread I posted about my ongoing struggle with letting go of Mary Jane, my desire to step away from my compulsion to alter my brain chemistry in any way. In the thread others came forward about their own attachments and habits, such loving confession and honesty, and it made me think I should make a challenge thread here on goneraw about quitting addictions.

I LOVE the 30-day challenge concept, and I would like to use it for breaking free of my addictions. If anyone wants to jump on board, feel free. I figure I’ll use this thread to help keep me focused on quitting…and we can support each other as well.

Comments

• Hi Moth, I was thinking about you today as I was out running my errands. Be encouraged in your journey. TODAY is what counts. What was yesterday is dead and gone and tomorrow isn’t here yet. (often, we start worrying about the tomorrows before we even get out of bed today). Just focus on the day, the moment. It is a new day – brand new! It’s great that with each sunrise, we get to start all over again. A scratch and reboot of sorts. No worries, regrets, rehashing or replaying old tapes in our minds. We can just say, “ok, I’m here now, what can I do with where I am now”. The difficult times will pass. focus on positivity – keep your mind and heart set on the beautiful things in life. It’s when we focus on the problem (or even overfocus on getting RID of the problem) that we forget to LIVE. I just had to write to you because you were really on my heart today. I’m praying for you.

• Hi mamamilk, that was beautiful, very inspiring.

Moth, how’s your day? I’ll try tomorrow again and see if I can join your 30 day challenge!!!

• BeTheChangeBeTheChange Raw Newbie

Yes, I am joining you. I need to actually get myself off of cooked foods all over again, I have been doing nothing but traveling for the past 5 weeks, and eating like shit! Also, I have been able to stay away from alcohol for my entire life until recently, when while traveling it has become a social “necessity”. Last night at the bar, I overheard a guy simply say, “no thanks, I don’t drink”, and I thought “wow! It’s so easy for him and it used to be for me! Why do I feel I HAVE to drink?” So, I want to be that person, I want to be that example for other people. The world would be a more beautiful place if people weren’t intoxicating themselves all the time and I don’t want to fall into that category, you know? SO I”M STARTING WITH YOU!

30 days from now, I will hopefully not have had any drinks and I will be 100% back on the raw food chain. I have to live what I preach. I have to live what I believe.

Let’s do this!

<3><3><3>

Plus, it’s a new moon cycle as of a couple days ago, what a brilliant time for change!

OK, I’m officially inspired and excited. I also have a move to a new city coming up and I want to feel and look great for it. It sounds cheesy, but I want to be the person I know I can be!

I know how hard it is to stop smoking weed. I run in an enviro/artist crowd where it is everywhere. I found that once I stopped drinking coffee, my desire for smoking went away completely, to the point that when I was offered a hit, I said “no, I don’t want it” and THOUGHT “ew! why the hell would I DO that???” THe day will come, I’m convinced. Eating raw makes us view the world with new eyes, for sure.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Oh i LOVE this! I’ve really been struggling with my addiction to salty corn snacks for 2 weeks! I’m so swollen you may see me floating above your home town this 4th of July and mistake me for the Blimp! Bring on those raw jalapeno corn chips!

• Ok! This is just what I am looking for 30 days to a new me. I am tired of doing nothing and saying I wish I had, I wish I could, I WISH

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Yes everyone, the TIME IS NOW!

I have found that when my mind starts to stray into addictive thinking (starts fantasizing about getting high, for instance), I can focus my attention into my inner body, use my senses to ground myself in my reality, and then I feel much better. As though I don’t need to be altered; everything is fine already. It is my THOUGHTS which attach me to the act of partaking in that which I know is not good for me; the REAL ME inside, the SPIRIT, has NO NEED for marijuana!

I wish everyone the best; I SUPPORT YOU ALL!

WE CAN DO THIS! If you feel like you’re struggling, before you give in, check in this thread FIRST, so that we can help each other stay on the path!

Much love…

oh my god I seriously love this right now.

• From the inside out does true positive change come. Habits, activities, actions, and systems can change temporarily – but eventually things tend to disorder – it IS ONLY through inner change that we find real transformation in our lives. It is in those inner secret places that the miracles happen.

Bless you all as you are in your cocoons exploring your existence only to emerge as the beautiful people you were made to be by the Creator.

New beginnings are great! And every day has a new chance, a fresh start, and a whole bundle of new grace and mercy for the journey.

It is a birthing into new life of sorts – just keep in mind, birth is hard work – but it bears life and fruit.

How’s everyone doing? I made it through the weekend without any social drinking, even at a restaurant with friends :) I don’t want to give the impression that I’m an alcoholic btw, I’m simply just unhappy with the gradual way I’ve permitted myself an intoxicant more and more. Anyways, I’m doing well in terms of staying raw, too, since my first post on the 4th. I had a great salad last night and wanted something salty, so I reached for a cracker my roommates had out, and immediately I felt my throat start draining as soon as I swallowed it! I was kicked in the face with remembering WHY raw food makes us feel so great. And my rooomate was there smoking a bud, and I simply didn’t want it, sooooo I didn’t have it! It’s because of that dark green leafy salad! MOTH—while you are eating salads, think of smoking greens instead of eating them, and I think you may be surprised at how quickly your craving subsides. Maybe every time you want to light up, grab a handful of baby spinach?

I had a tiny taste of run-of-the-mill peanut butter because it was already on the spoon I was using for my salsa by accident, and EW, it tasted so DEAD. Just looking at the jar across the kitchen made me so frustrated…how is it that we have all become so immune to shit in our digestive tract??? It’s not like it’s the first time I’ve had this realization, but I’m being re-reminded of it which hopefully will make this easy for the next 30 days.

My friend and I are doing a green smoothie cleanse next week, starting on the 14th, if anyone wants to join. I’ve never done one before. I generally like to chew my salads rather than drink them, but I thought I’d give it a try.

How about we all list our motivations? I’ll start…! my sister’s wedding in September a new life in a new city next month—I want to have energy and confidence waking up energized after a great night of dreams better yoga practice proving to others that you don’t have to drink to have a good time proving to myself that my full potential is possible Living what I preach and whole-heartedly believe in Stronger climbing practice—lighter and more flexible and energized Better, longer, faster runs in the park feel sexxxxxxay :) others who are doing this 30-day commitment to enjoy the last bits of summer to their maximum potential! to stay OFF of coffee For a better connection with Mother Earth

Has anyone seen Wall-E???

• It’s a beautiful day. Remember that our reality is often funneled through the prism of our circumstances. We have to tap into the REALLY REAL…

On a side note, I’m really into the significance of name, number, color meanings – basically the way that tangible things in creation can represent things in the Spirit. Anyway, I was taking note that today is 7-7-08. 7 is the perfect number – one of completion and 8 represents new beginnings. This whole year can be one of new beginnings.

Today, my husband started his 7th 40 day fast. How cool is that? We are praying renewal.

Have a great one people.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Mamamilk – it’s funny you mentioned “fast” because I feel like that’s exactly what I need right now. I just need to stop everything – I need to stop using food as a stimulant just as much as marijuana. I definitely have a raw food addiction as well. It is my aspiration to start a fast sometime in the next week or so, and go as long as I can. If I’m not intaking ANYTHING, then I know it’ll help me quit the green. To be honest, I haven’t been doing great; I can feel myself distanced from it, but I’ve been a social toker, especially over the weekend. I’m very gung ho about quitting, I KNOW I feel better when I’m not high, so why do I keep getting high??!

I feel like a fast would really help me out.

My motivations:

Without pot:

Feeling more centered/balanced Remembering my dreams/more restful sleep Clarity of mind More vital energy

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

I thought I was so over it but today I had such a strong craving to drink. I was to the point where I was trying to rationalize it. “well just one drink…” Then my husband says, “well why don’t you just have a drink?” and I said “because I don’t WANT to”. And then that seemed to stop it. For now. My evil cravings for cooked food also reared their ugly head today.

• Surround yourself by people who will lift you up. Place yourself in a social community that will bring light and love into your life.

When you get on an elevator, if everyone on there is hitting the buttons going down, you will go down too.

Fasting is good. The detox part is hard, but when the clean hits – it is so good. My husband is pretty simple – he sticks with the MC lemon drink, peppermint and yogi fasting teas, and an enema as needed to help with the detoxing lower colon which plays a huge role in a persons state of mind and well being (or lack thereof)

The gut has a mind of its own, the “enteric nervous system”. Just like the larger brain in the head, this system sends and receives impulses, records experiences and respond to emotions. Its nerve cells are bathed and influenced by the same neurotransmitters as the brain. The gut can upset the brain just as the brain can upset the gut. The gut contains 100 million neurons – more than the spinal cord. Major neurotransmitters like serotonin, dopamine, glutamate, norephinephrine and nitric oxide are in the gut. In other words – if the gut is full of crap – you will feel like crap – emotionally, mentally and spiritually.

Here is a website that we have found a wealth of information and support for fasting. The owner is a beautiful writer and captures not only the physical aspects of fasting but the mental, emotional and spiritual too.

http://www.freedomyou.com

There is a “fasting center” link that will give you many uplifting articles about fasting and the body, fasting and the spirit, and equipping you to fast. There’s even one entitled “fasting and addictions”!

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Doing great! Once i started treating the candida monster the cravings just stopped and I’m on day 4, 100% raw. Clear thinking and I’m looking forward to my raw meals now. Can we give blessings to Renee Underkoffler’s New Waldorf Salad?!!!! Yummmmmmmmm. Bitt-I’m a weekend drinker so I never want a drink during the week and on the weekend, I’m amazed at how this has become so routine in our house. Tune in Friday. I’m already thinking of what to make for my raw virgin cocktail.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

I’m faced with a dilemma. My friend’s birthday is this weekend and we used to drink together a lot. She wants to do a “get really drunk for my 30th” thing. There is also dinner at an Italian place beforehand. I know I am going to be tempted to drink at this place because they have amazing cocktails and I is kind of nostalgic. Also she is the kind of friend that just pushes you a little and you easily cave. I know, I know, be strong but I am finding myself coming up with excuses on why I should have at least one drink to “fit in” or whatever, but before I know it I might have had 10 lemon drops, wasted $100, and have a big hangover the next day. What to do? When are the bars going to start serving kombucha???

So I suppose I could just skip the event but I have struggled to stay in touch with her lately. I’m sure she’d understand when i explain the no drinking/raw thing but she has in the past teased me for being vegan, and her husband won’t even eat anything if it might be vegan. Jeez, the more I write the more I realize this might not be the healthiest friendship for me.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

For me, alcohol is very toxic. I can’t even enjoy a few sips without feeling the way my body struggles to process it, the harm it’s doing. I haven’t had a drink in about ten months. Bitt- I can see however why you might be tempted. The reason why stopping my MJ habit has been a bit difficult is because I am in a group of friends who do vaporize weed together. I’m already a bit “different” because of my raw lifestyle – sometimes I just want to be in sync, socially. I think if you do decide to drink at your friends party, to be completely honest with yourself about how your body is processing it. Be in contact with your body the entire time; log and note every physical twinge or alteration in spirit.

That’s what I’ve been doing with MJ. It seems to help, because you become more of a scientist rather then just the experimenter.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Izhpt: WOW, sounds like you are RAWKING this challenge! Congrats and well done – keep it up!

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Thanks, MOTH. You know, for me…I KNEW that popcorn lady was not me. She was posessed! Bitt-I have a little of the opposite dilemna. My husband and I have always been social drinkers. I love a good lemon drop out with friends. Since going raw more than 2 years ago, I just could not handle more than 2 drinks so there it began to cease. Now i find I’m not liking my husband’s drinking. It never really used to bother me. I was right there with him. Now-i don’t want my weekend to revolve around where to go for drinks. This could really become a problem. I’m grossed out by booze breath AND I have 3 teens to drive home late in the evenings. They watch everything I do and i know I will be their example. I don’t want to call them from jail explaining a DUI, you know? Puts it all in perspective for me. Update—still killing candida with the GSE, just raw..I have a GYROTONIC update for 12 hours this weekend and was on that thing for 4 hours yesterday. Such a positive day filled with great energy from the Gyro. Check out how this movement is www.GYROTONIC.com or search Youtube for GYROTONIC. It’s a legal thing. I have to use all caps. MOTH & BITT-do something really great for yourself this weekend. Maybe a new yoga class, a trip to a great Farmer’s Market, delve into some Raw books at the library or your bookstore. Get a massage or do a coconut oil self-massage. You know…what do you love? I am a confessed massage whore.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

Oh don’t worry I am treating myself really well…a whole flat of raspberries at the farmer’s market, and a raw meetup! I am actually working on developing stronger other friendships so I am not so easily swayed by the folks who drink lots. I think I am going to smuggle some kombucha into the bar. It’s like the movie theater. If they complain, I am going to say well start serving this dammit! We’ll see if I get kicked out.

Oh I could so go for a massage….............

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

You go, girl! A new raw Meet-up for you?

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

yup, raw meetup was great.

so…I ended up skipping the dinner part of my friend’s birthday. I felt bad and she got mad at me but I just couldn’t face it. So I met up later and ended up having a glass of really delicious wine. I am ok with it. it was not hard alcohol so I guess less toxic in some ways for me. But I feel really fuzzy-headed today. I have been drinking LOTS of water, lime water right now. I am going to go for a bike ride later. Did some yoga already. all this to combat one glass. Hardly worth it I suppose.

• i think i suggested doing something like this, and i’ve been totally absent.

MOTH, i feel you completely. i can manage to stay away from MJ during the week just by being super busy with work, my yoga practice, getting to bed early, and because i’m temporarily living my the rents so i don’t smoke at home, but when i’m out with my friends, i feel like i want to be social, on the same wavelength. it’s not terrible smoking twice a week, but i do feel like it’s controlling me. when i do stay out for the night at my boyfriend’s place, i will smoke there just because i miss chilling on the couch smoking and watching tv.

alcohol is not a problem for me though, i hate the taste and feel spinny and sick after 1 glass of wine. still can’t figure out why that’s legal but pot isn’t!!!!

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

how is everyone doing?

• yeah, how is everyone doing? ....i hear only the sounds of crickets chirping….

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

well i am ok…i survived the glass of wine. I’ve been exercising more to speed up the processing of it, detoxing of it or whatever.

I haven’t had any alcohol!

annnnnd what else? Being in the sun so much is only motivating to stay raw. I had some coffee at work (remember, I’m a full-time barista, a constant challenge) which made me want refined sugars, so I had a bagel, but then all of a sudden realized that I was stopping up my system with disgusting flour paste and ate a few handfuls of baby spinach form the kitchen! Man, it is so hard at work, but becomes easier and easier every day that I push myself to not eat shit. :)

In general, anyways, relating to this forum, maybe there is a lesson in this: actually visualize what is going on in the inside of your body when you put something-anything-into it that you know is bad for it. This continues to help me.

• Yaay. visualization is great. When we unify our body/mind/spirit we find more enlightenment and strength for the journey.

bethechange – i posted a comment a few days ago on ‘other stuff’ that you are just beautiful! i like your new pic too – you glow.

moth – how are you doing?

thanks! :)

Happy almost-full moon, guys. Remember that moon cycles are a brilliant way to start a cleansing process i.e. breaking bad habits. Perhaps consider using this full moon (tomorrow, officially) as a reminder to help with this specific addiction deal. Rebirth, renewal, rejuvenation…!

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Hey everyone,

I know it’s lame, but I’ve been avoiding this thread after making it. I haven’t been doing too good on the drugs – using nightly, still. However I’m done now. I had a panic attack last night, and I felt like it was a message that came straight from my body. I’m sick inside when I use MJ. I feel it. I realized that I didn’t want to have anything like that inside me, any more. I don’t want to feel this anxiety anymore, caused by my use of the drug.

So this is day one, for me. Everyone else sounds like they’re doing great. Sorry I’ve been so lame!

Thanks for the support though…I’ll check back in later tonight or tomorrow and tell you how my day one went.