Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

What do YOU eat before or after a big workout?

mewmewmintmewmewmint Raw Newbie

Curious to know.

Comments

• It really depends on how much time I have. If I manage to sit down, I’ll have a big fruit meal at least 30 min before the work out. It can consist of a banana, a mango, a dragon fruit, some small apples,oranges or pears. After work out, I usually have a large salad, or if really short of time, I’ll make a green smoothie with lots of bananas and a handful of greens ;) Hope it helps!

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

I do an early morning (o’dark hundred) “bootcamp” workout and I don’t like to eat too heavy that early. What I do use is 1 to 2 Tbs. of blue/green algae in about 1 qt of water. Sometimes I add 1 Tbs of chia seeds too. Seems to keep me going with better energy toward the end of my workout compared to the others in my bootcamp class.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Not much before, a piece of fruit. after-a big green smoothie made with a coconut water base, lots of berries, fresh or frozen (organic), peaches, banana or Mango, 2 big scoops of Barlean’s Greens if I’m low on fresh greens, a few big leaves of Kale or a big handful of spinach-i stuff 1/2 the blender with the stuff. When i get hungry again, i’ll have a substantial raw meal. Now if you’re Marathoning or biking great distances, you want to check out www.organicathlete.org and You Tube Brendan Brazier’s Raw Running. We had a good forum going several months ago in health and beauty entitled Raw Athletes. Check it out.

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

If its a weight lifting session then always a raw protein powder. It was the only way to help me properly repair like when i was on a SAD diet.

• Here's what I do (but, everyone's different) Before working out: Anything easy to digest (and small)! Bananas, green juice, a smoothie, etc... After working out: A blend of the above with a raw protein supplement (the glucose is what carries the protein to the muscle, both are important!). A book that might be of interest to you, would be The Thrive Diet - It's pretty decent at breaking down before and after nutrient recs. However, if you're looking on the muscle building side, then I would strongly suggest reading a traditional body building book and then supplementing with raw foods (just to understand the science of it all). Also, it sometimes just depends on what your goals are - looking for energy? Looking to gain muscles? Etc... This would definitely factor into your before/after nutritional consumption.

• I take power bar and an energy drink before I go for a run in the morning.After work out,have foods which are rich in proteins and carbs like Dried fruits, and nuts,Veggie omelet with toast or roll.

• You should never eat directly before or after intense physical exercise,according to well renowned Gerald Benesh and his dietary guidelines.The body needs time to adjust back to its non active state in order to properly digest food.After running,I stretch,shower,drink some water,by then it's been 10 minutes or so.I like to make protein shakes with VEGA protein powder,raw carob,fresh almond milk,and dried figs.I know VEGA isn't 100% raw,but my body is really happy with it,feeling great.

• Jenell_CaveJenell_Cave Raw Newbie

You have to understand this thing, which before your workout if you have taken a large meal, a portion of your blood is being rerouted away from your working muscles to the digestive system to help process your food. As you know blood is the body’s oxygen delivery system, it means that there will be less oxygen available to your muscles, which can decrease your body’s fat burning capabilities. Or else, if you go for the workout with an empty stomach, there is no significant impact or change will be shown on your body's ability to burn fat.

Training after a light meal is the best as at that time your body is not busy in digesting vast amounts of food, but instead, it can provide large amounts of oxygen to your muscles and possibly burn more fat.

• marliqmarliq Raw Newbie

I try to get a light meal before around 30 minutes to an hour before my training.

ClaireT
  • Richa94Richa94 Raw Jr. Leader

This the which most of the health conscious people are looking for, what to eat before or after a workout? After a workout, you can have foods which are rich in protein or carb and fats, on the other hand before you should take light diets such as the Whole-fruit smoothie, Banana with peanut butter and honey and DIY sports drink.

ClaireT
  • RondrekaRondreka Raw Newbie
    I workout in a fasted state. I use food as a motivation to workout lol after I workout I have a fresh fruit smoothie. I've always worked out in a fasted state ... But it isn't for everyone...
    ClaireT
  • Convenience foods (energy bars or replacement shakes) may be helpful because you can determine the calories and the desired mix of carbohydrates, protein and fats.

ClaireT
  • deborahh3977deborahh3977 Raw Newbie
    edited March 2023

I try to eat no later than two hours before the start of the workout. I eat what makes me feel full - something with beans and sweet fruits. After a workout, even if it was just a run or a game of ping-pong, I drink soy protein isolate so that my body recovers faster and better

ClaireT
  • jackiedfoy Deletedjackiedfoy Deleted Raw Newbie
    edited March 2023

Hello, 

Best to consume a balanced meal containing carbohydrates and protein 2-3 hours before a big workout to provide the necessary energy and nutrients for your body. After the workout, it's recommended to consume a combination of carbohydrates and protein within 30 minutes to help with muscle recovery and replenish glycogen stores.