Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Coffee Addict - HELP

I’m fairly new to raw and started eating raw because of health issues. I eat 50-75% raw. I’m a lover of coffee and know how bad it is for me. Would love to hear from those who were coffee addicts, broke the habit and saw success.

Comments

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

Rockma, you might just want to check out this recent thread on the topic…. It might give you some ideas. Cheers! http://goneraw.com/forums/3/topics/6857

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I was a coffee addict. I still drank it when everything else I ate was raw, for about 6 months. I quit cold turkey and had no withdrawal and haven’t had a drop since, and that was 3 years ago. I think it was because I was 99% raw that I had no withdrawal, I just felt better and better.

What made me quit was when I heard that the snowcap on Mount Kilimanjaro was melting because of coffee production, and this means that nearly all life there, on one of the most diverse enviroments on earth will die. It made me cry to hear this and I hevn’t touched coffee since. Incidentally, on the day I woke up and for the first time in 20 years did NOT have a cup of coffee, after I heard about Kilimanjaro, it snowed huge big flakes of snow for about an hour! I took that as a Thank You from Mother Earth for deciding to tread more lightly by quitting coffee.

• that’s a beautiful story, Zoe. i didn’t know that about Mount Killimanjaro!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

thanks dorian don’t, it’s not just Kilimanjaro, when they grow coffee they burn down rainforest to create nutrient rich ashes to feed the coffee plants they sow. Millions of acres of rainforest are being destroyed as coffee becomes more and more popular. Here in the UK 10 years ago most people just drank tea, but now everyone wanders around with their Starbucks coffee, so much destruction to satisfy the new demand. It isn’t fair is it?

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

I was a hard core coffee addict for 15 years when I quit! What worked for me was weaning myself off.. I started to see if I could go a day without it, and have green tea or yerba matte tea instead. Then I’d go two or three days, having coffee only on the days when I was going to do a substantial run. Finally I switched over to tea entirely, now i drink yerba matte 3 or 4 days a week and kombucha at times, but never coffee or green tea. I don’t miss it, truly, so I know you can do it if I did. I think having substitutes that give you a little lift help. Oh.. I even went a couple of months with no tea at all and I felt fine, but my running suffered so I started that again. Good luck!

• I just toughed it out. The first three days I didn’t notice and then the night of the fourth day I had about the worst headache I have ever had in my life. It wasn’t just a headache—my back, the small of my back, my shoulders, the backs of my knees. The next few days after that I was a little groggy but the pain was gone.

You can take excedrin for the withdrawal headache, it’s got a little caffeine in it just to tide you through.

I used to drink six or so cans a day of diet soda and on top of that sometimes a cup or two of coffee or tea. Not anymore, it’s been three weeks and I’m drug free.

Now I drink filtered water, selzer water ( with whole lemon and fresh ginger—really gets the cola craving) and sometimes I’ll get an herbal teabag and steep it in the sun or barely-warm water.

:). Good luck
  • shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

NO DRUGS! PLEASE!

My as well eat all your food cooked.

• iknikn

I was a coffee addict too. I drank one very very strong espresso shot in the morning and two-tree cappuccinos during the day. When I went raw I stopped drinking all together. I had withdrawal symptoms, you wouldnt believe! Migraine, muscle ache. For days I could hardly walk. It was abslutely awful. The weird thing is that I still crave coffe. and it’s been a couple months now that I quit.

• Buy yourself some CAFIX from the health food store so you will feel like you are having some coffee but it is totally natural. It is not a raw product but is better than coffee it is made from like chicory and figs or something.