Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

How do I clean a nut milk bag?

Hooray for nut milk bags! I just got one in the mail today. Now…what’s the best way to clean these? I’m afraid to put it in the laundry or dishwasher, as I imagine it would tear easily. hrm. So what does everybody else do?

Comments

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

I would just wash it by hand the best you can with soap and water.

• I agree! Just turn it inside out and rinse…its so simple and effective!!!!

• where is the best place to get a nut bag?

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

I wash nut bags by hand, tho sometimes, I have to use a soft nail brush to get them thoroughly clean.I bought mine through Allisa Cohens sight.

• i had mine delivered from oneluckyduck.com I realllllly love going to pure food and wine for some raw icecream!!!!

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

Every few uses I boil mine, but everyday I rinse it well and put it out on the balcony in the sunlight. The sun’s a great sterilizer.

• Wow thanks everybody for the quick responses! Amazing. I made my first batch of almond milk this morning, and it turned out deliiiicccccious! I used to just use cheesecloth, but there really is no comparison. If you’re out there, and you’re using cheesecloth for making nut milk, give yourself a treat and pick up a nut milk bag right now. I got mine from rawguru.com (http://www.rawguru.com/store/raw-food/nut-milk-..., or you could get one from the Cafe Gratitude online store (http://www.cafegratitudestore.com/hm07-mb.html). I guess it depends which coast you’re on ;)

I ended up just washing it by hand and it worked out fine (for some reason I thought it would be more difficult…it’s a surprisingly sturdy bag!) Carmentina, that’s a great idea, and there’s next to nothing that a little sunlight can’t improve.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Wash with soap and water. every once in a while, soak in a bowl of water and white vinegar. It removes some of the color stains and disinfects.

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

I throw mine in the laundry and never have problems. Also, after spending $8 on a “nut milk bag” that was on sale (!), I found that I could buy the same thing from a homebrew supply store for $2.