Coconut milk/water - what's the difference?

Can anyone tell me the difference between coconut milk and coconut water?

Comments

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

If I recall rightly….none

• jellibijellibi Raw Newbie

I know that coconut water is what you get when you open up a young thai coconut (all of the clear-ish liquid that seeps out).

I always thought that coconut milk was the water mixed with the white coconut pulp that lines the inside of the shell.

• hannahmariehannahmarie Raw Newbie

coconut water is the water inside the coconut (what you get when you drain he coconut)

coconut milk is NOT WORTH IT to make a raw version. so hard to do. i just did it a couple of days ago and it took me forever to open the coconut (it has to be mature) then the flesh is soo hard and it is really tough to extract the fat from it (which is what makes it coconut milk). it’s a shame because coconut milk ice cream is heavenly.

• So, if a recipe calls for coconut milk, can I use coconut water? Is there much difference in taste?

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

Sorry you young ones, you are right. I have grown up calling coconut water,coconut milk, that now that I know the truth I still get it confused.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

You cannot use coconut water instead of coconut milk. Coconut water is a cool refreshing sweet clear liquid, but doesn’t have the rich creaminess of coconut milk, which, straight and to the point, tastes like coconut flavored milk. It is white, fatty, rich liquid, derived from mature coconut meat, and coconut water is best derived from young coconuts and is the water filled in the coconut when you crack it. In other words, coconut water makes an exotic refreshing drink and coconut milk makes a rich creamy ice cream.

• Annabelle77Annabelle77 Raw Newbie

From what I know, the longer the coconut is left on the tree, the fattier and denser the liquid becomes… meaning that the milk isnt dehydrated water… the fruit has changed/matured and gotten fattier from the tree’s systems. While the milk and meat are quite fatty, the water is virtually fat free. Unfortunately as a kid, I hated coconuts because I thought it was always dried-out white stuff with a funky texture. (But now I am in love with whole young coconuts!)

• Thanks everyone.

Annabelle77 – I hear that. When I open a young coconut and smell the fresh coconut water, I get an instant rush. I use the meat to make the ‘yummy yogurt’ recipe from this site. I highly recommend it – delicious.

• Annabelle77Annabelle77 Raw Newbie

sweet, Ill have to try that!

• RawKRawK Raw Newbie

rawkidchef has it right….coconut water comes from young coconuts and is slightly sweet and saline (imo).

coconut milk is the contents of a mature coconut blended and strained to remove the pulp.

it is not difficult to make…first drill two holes in the mature coconut to remove the water. then drop or hit against some hard object (or use a hammer)—i use my back patio until cracked open. the meat should break from the shell if you’ve thrown it hard enough. wash the meat if there is any debris from the ground and place it in a high powered blender with warm water. blend and let it soak for awhile….blend again. then run thru a cheesecloth or fine strainer. you should be left with a pretty creamy milk for ice creams and desserts.