Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw Foodies in UK

Comments

• Hmmm… I think you might be right about the fats thing. They can make me feel very bloated too.

I tend to try not to eat smoothies in the evening as (for me) they can just sit in my belly later on in the day. Don’t know why.

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

Thanks for the advice, I seem to be having a bit of a problem with smoothies in general – sitting in my stomach and feeling like they are just going round and round… Think you are right about the fats thing too. had a different type of roll-up for tea earlier in the week, had some seeds in it but no avo and felt fine afterwards.

• What are you having in the smoothies?

• clr-1976clr-1976 Raw Newbie

I have smoothies for brecky every morning. Its way easier for me as I can put in a plastic bottle & swig it on the train on the way in. If I waited till I was at work I’d be ravenous & I dont have enough time before leaving.

I have concoctions of fruit,mainly, banana, mango (get frozen from supermarket if no fresh in & keep as a backup), blueberries & raspberries (same – frozen), pineapple, young coconut here & there (water & meat) milled flax at times, spiralina/bee pollen/fresh aloe vera at times. Other soft fruit that may be about, nectarines etc..

I also make juices (that is until my juicer died) – carrot, spinach, kale, ginger, apple, pear concoctions mainly..

How about you guys?

Ooh, Cacao/Mesquite/Purple Corn/Lacuma make there way in too if they go with whatever’s in it..

• ajchanterajchanter Raw Newbie

Hi, guys :) Im in the UK, too! Im near Bristol, in Somerset. I don’t think im close to any of you people though!... :(

Great to meet you, regardless of location!

Welcome to the chat! Its great to find more people discovering this thread actually, I knew there must be some of us out there!

• FeeFee Raw Master

Hi Guys,

Hope things are going well with you. How did you feel after the chips Claire?!

Ive had a poor week on the raw front – Ive been so stressed about things at school Ive been having cooked lunches and last night I was so tired we had take away indian from Asda (my major weakness is Indian!) However, everything I was stressed about is now passed/past(?) so I made a nice raw chilli for tea and enough to take for lunch tomorrow.

I’m not sure where the best place to order from is. I’ve ordered from DYW, Funky Raw and Raw Living (Kate Wood’s company). Raw Liveing Charge £2.75 for orders under 450g but then £6 for more than that which seems quite expensive. I know when I was just wanting to order one raw chocolate bar to try it I went to Funky Raw as that worked out cheapest.

Some places offer free postage but you usually have to spend a HUGE amount to get it and I can’t justify to myself spending that much in one go. I’ll happily spend the same amount over a few months though!

Do you find it much harder to be raw when the weather is wet and rainy or is that just me?

Oh well, better get on with some work, have a good evning.

Fiona

• FeeFee Raw Master

Whoops, just re-read and saw how you felt after your chips Claire! Sorry!

First off: Hi there Ajchanter, Lulushka8 and Fee, welcome to the small but growing uk section! MsDerious, To start with it was the filling breakfast smoothie that I added to the recipie section, then after a few days that started not to feel so good so I went to just some hemp seeds (2-3 level tablespoons) and fruit, including one bannana, this was a bit better but still not brilliant. I always used to musili and fresh OJ before trying to be more raw and that never caused a problem. fruit if eaten on its own does not seem to be a problem but doesn’t fill me up for long enough and I worry that my musili used to give me about 10g of protein and fruit alone is nowhere near that. i feel a bit stuck really.

This is going to be really short and I need to say hi to you guys properly but wanted to give you a quick suggestion springleaf, hope this helps..

Copied & pasted from Wikipedia;

Protein

Spirulina contains an unusually high amount of protein, between 55% and 77% by dry weight, depending upon the source. It is a complete protein,[citation needed] containing all essential amino acids, though with reduced amounts of methionine, cysteine, and lysine when compared to the proteins of meat, eggs, and milk. It is, however, superior to typical plant protein, such as that from legumes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirulina_(dietary…

I havent read the whole page but went straight for the protein info as thats what you mentioned above. When I add it to smoothies it makes a massive diff all day..

Anyway, I’m up far too late on a school night and am pooped, off to bed – night!

Thank you Clr! Have got some spirulina, knew it was high in minerals but didn’t know how good it’s protein content was, will read link, surf and gather knowledge!

Glad to be of help!

Also, do know why I didnt think of it but, as I was adding Maca to my smoothie this morn (along with some spirulina..!) I thought, of course! Maca’s another great source of protein!

I’ll find some info….

Here you go:

Maca is a very densely nutritious food that contains high amounts of vitamins, minerals, enzymes and all the essential amino acids (so often hard to obtain from a single non-flesh food). The amino acid content of this plant gives it an average bioavailable protein content of around 14% of the entire weight of the plant. Maca certainly has an impressive array of minerals, with notably high levels of bioavailable calcium. The vast majority of people today eat food that is lower in minerals than our wild foods of yesteryear. Maca’s high-mineral content can help top up your mineral stores in a tasty enjoyable way. On top of that, maca also contains trace amounts of the hard-to-find vitamin B12 (though not enough to rely on by itself).

That was from ‘Detox your World’ but google it & you’ll find more..

On lunch – got to go..!

The man had the young coconut yeay!

So FYI – little shop on Pebble lane now stocks them – thanks for the intro MsD, I got loads of weird and wonderful stuff!

• Hi there,

I'm from East Anglia

Nice to meet you all.

I do agree it would be great to get to go to some pot lucks.

• Hi, I’m in South Devon near Exeter, and just exploring the raw food world but love how I feel when I keep to it! I have met a raw food chef near here (www.thegreenchef.co.uk) who does excellent workshops but glad to know there are like-minded others out there! We only have Tescos nearby and I doubt they have even heard of raw coconuts, lol! I have a friend in Thame, so might check out the Pebble Lane(?) place if I get up there some time….

Hello! Im near Bristol, Somerset. ..Not near any of you guys though.. :(

• Hi ajchanter, don’t worry, there must be some raw foodies around your area and you are nearer the others than i am, lol! anyway the internet and the M5 are handy for people to get together I think :)

Thank-you Debs60 for the support, and i hope your right! :P Plus i hope you have luck yourself finding some raw buddies!!

• Gosh – Look away for two seconds, and all this appears!

Debs – I grew up in Thame :)

Clare – Dehydrator arrived. Dyhydration -> Raw bread + Sweet Potatoe crisps + Corn Chips = Full Ms Derious!

Hi other UKians (Real word, honest) Perhaps we should try to keep an eye on any good supermarket deals that would be Raw suitable (Eg, if Tesco had Raw Cashews at a discount) and let each other know :)

So far, I have to say Julian Graves is my star centre for Raw nuts etc :)

• np aj, i don’t know about you but i find trying to be raw in my own home tricky, with a man who likes bacon sarnies! he thinks its great when i eat raw and he is partial to smoothies, so i suppose that’s a start. MsD, i think Thame is cool, but i haven’t been there for a few years now. perhaps it is time i tried. is the dehydrator a Stockli one, detoxyourworld had an offer of buying the dehydrator, and you got a book and the saladaccio spiraliser with it if you quoted a certain word with your order (erm, which i can’t quite remember, sorry….) I agree, let’s keep an eye out for raw foodist stuff or restaurants (Giraffe in Cambridge did a great raw vegan salad when i went up there recently) good to know you are all out there!

• btw what recipe books have you all been inspired by? years ago, i had a Leslie Kenton book and thought ok i will try that tomorrow and tomorrow never came really (I even bought a sprouter then), and then it was Roxy Dillon and her expensive supplements but i didn’t really get into it. I never thought i could eat vegan until I bought Ani Phyo’s book which has absolutely fantastic recipes in. I agree with you Fee about the weather, a raw winter might be a bit hard – perhaps we will all turn up with fish and chips to a potluck….

Hi Everyone!, Yes I agree, the supermarket idea is a good one, secial offers come and go so fast that you have to be one your toes to catch them! I am lucky enough to live near a truly brilliant health food shop, but not so much luck with shops that sell things like raw coconut…

On the other hand I was at a friends house for dinner on friday night and another of her friends had arrived and done the meal for us, and she was a raw vegan chief! How pleased was I! She also told me that a RV cafe has opened nearby, so I went there for lunch the next day – yum! Raw convenience food (i.e. someone else makes it!) :-)

Someone on this site was saying about adding chillis to things in winter to get some “heat” and how that worked for them, an idea I have yet to try is if cold when get home make a hot water bottle and snuggle it whilst eating – don’t know if it would work or not but might be worth a try!

Since going 100% raw, i have turned my parents into raw vegan fans (i would say they are now around 90%), turned my grandma vegan, and intuduced green smoothies into my grandparents lives, which they now have everyday!!! And this is really without (much :) force, just giving them the facts, living and keeping to this liefstlye (setting the exemple)and them following, and also giving them a few books to read!! What can i say!?. It works.. And these are people who, just a few months ago, was scared and sceptical about me just going vegan!! (and even just veggie!) Now, when i have my green smoothie or juice in the mornings, they DEMAND, and i mean DEMAND for me to make it for them aswell!!!

The books that inspire me and my mum the most are Green For Life (Victoria), Raw Success (Matt), and Raw Family (Victoria). My fav Raw recipe book (for when i have friends over) is, like you, Ani Phyo’s book!!! i havnt read any of David Wolfes or Galbiel Cousens so i can’t comment on them!

Good luck!!!!

This book was what started me on raw after seeing a review of it in a magazine

Raw Food Gourmet: Going Raw for Total Well-being by Gabrielle Chavez (Paperback – 31 May 2005)

It has loads of info about going raw and loads and loads of brilliant recipies, although it introduces the reader to raw (why how etc) I would not say it is just a beginers book because of all the recipies.

Also shazzies website was a great help, I spent a whole weekend reading her raw foor journal (practically did nothing else for 2 days!) Loads of info and really interesting.

I then bought, Eat smart eat raw by Kate wood, which I also like.

• hi thanks (lulushka, springleaf) for that, there’s obviously quite a few recipe books i haven’t come across, so i will investigate some of them as Ani Phyo’s one (brilliant, imho) does rely heavily on nuts so I think it would be good to get some different ones. I have tried the raw choc that Shazzie does, i do quite like it but have to remortgage the house to buy just a few bars! I think it took some getting used to as well but i feel virtuous that it is good for me, or so Shazzie says! I’d like to make my own, did someone mention fudge? Also, dyw sells purple corn kernels so I bought some thinking i could make crackers, but the stuff is sitting there not doing anything at the mo!

btw aj, that’s awesome work, grats! am away from keyboard for two days as i’m doing two 14 hour shifts back to back, love to you all xx

• Hey there Fellow UKians!

That’s great to know about Giraffe Debs60 thanks!

Erm I order stuff from DTYW from time to time Cos I esp love their Raw choc powder.Also order probiotics from there too.I’ve always had excellent service from there with super quick delivery times.The service ive experienced makes me feel that they respect their customers. I also get some things from Oceanwave Vibrations.And I like Raw Living for Certain choc.

Also I buy a few things from https://www.livingfood.co.uk/content/superfood….

They are super, deliver super quick too and when I last got stuff from them I believe it was free postage. They make small raw chocolate bars for £2 its not like set solid choc but they are very scrummy. I think they have three flavours.Check out the site and you will find them.I usually get my sprouting equipment and sprouts from them.

Books it would seem that i’m growing quite a collection! I’ve got Shazzies, Kate Woods,Alissa Cohens, Ani Phyos, World Infusin Cuisine, Carol Alts Eating in the Raw, Green for Life. I’ve also Got Naked Chocolate which I got in a charity shop and I like the look of Russel James recipies.I love the recipies on here too! I actually think they are the best!

AJ chanter I think that you must have the magic touch to convert all the people you have wow you sound like you have a gift there.

MisDerious I will also join in and keep an eye out for stuff too.

Great to be in touch with you all.

Have any of you tried any of the the raw eateries there are?

Oh I came across this on the net a little while ago.

I havent been yet but plan to go They have a Raw Cafe.

http://www.villagewholefoods.com/index.html

Tra!

Woo Hoo, more of us!

Hi nice to meet you KSparklie,

As there’s been some discussion about this.. help me out..

Raw choc – I get it from DYW too and there is lots of detailed info about why its raw and how its processed etc.. So why’s it on Zoe & Chris’s dead food list? I’m pretty sure Shazzie wouldnt stock it if it wasnt and I’ve got Naked Chocolate (did someone ask for a ‘Fudge’ recipe?) and from what I can deduce she’s clearly saying its raw..?? I have put this question out on a thread before but you know what its like – it can change pace & direction fairly quickly and went unanswered..

Great info on the books all. Those of you that have read Kate Wood; what do you think of ‘Raw Magic’? I was thinking of treating myself as I have a waterstones voucher left from my BD.

Russell James recipes do look fab & his website’s up and running now too – BTW, I facebook friended him (I believe that’s also an expression.. :o) ) and he’s cool with that – you can keep up with his updates, the whole profile is set up as his ‘Raw Chef’ pic etc..

Got to run, at lunch..

• Gosh, so many of us now. It’s great :)

At the moment, I’ve not got any raw books. I have to say, I find there are a lot of good recipes on the internet, and at the moment I don’t feel I need one. I’ve signed up to loads of feeds using Google Reader, and pretty much every night I see a recipe to add it my rapidly expanding list of raw recipes to make.

With regards to raw chocolate, my local health food store carries some very expensive bars, and I can’t say I’ve found them that nice. Personally, I find my chocolate whims are satiated by chocolate truffle recipes… of which there are loads! Plus, for me, one of the joys of raw is seeing exactly what is put into my body. Granted, most raw bars have few ingredients… but I like to see that it’s lovely soft dates and tasty, crisp walnuts in my belly… which I eat up very quickly!

• Hi there Clr _1976 Thanks for the greeting.

Nice to meet you tooooo!

I’ve got Raw Magic I can only say that for me, I really like it and it’s not one I would want to give away. I generally like books that are colourful and full of pics, ( great photos)so it’s my type of recipie book. It’s also got interesting info about the properties of the superfoods etc.I do think it’s personal preference though and it is a lot of money.But I too bought it as a treat to myself as my Raw Organic Food indulgences are equivalent to other people’s indulgence of loving and buying lots of shoes, which I’m not into.I agree with lulushk8 big time ( Hi to you lulushk8 too!) you do need to do the shopping for the superfoods.

Thanks for the info about Russell James :0)

Tra!