Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Zoe's Spring Onion Cheese

I made Zoe’s spring onion cheese today. I was fabulous (although I consider it to be more like a pate’).

I made it without the nuts and spread it on sliced green tomatoes drizzled with an apricot glaze (fresh apricots processed with a little agave). Killer.

Thanks for that recipe. I can see why so many people like it.

Comments

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

glad you posted this! I want to ask everyone – how do you serve Zoe’s spring onion cheese??

I make it, then have no idea what to eat it on!!

• heyenglishheyenglish Raw Newbie

Once I make the cheese, I like to mix diced tomatoes and different herbs in it, then I’ll stuff a bell pepper with it.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I LOVE the cheese!

Winona – I plop blobs of it on top of my salads & then when I eat the salad it sort of mixes with the dressing & gives a yummy flavor combination & makes my salad into a filling meal.

Meditating – I’ve never eaten green tomatoes – maybe I’ll give this a try – do you think nectarines would make a good sauce for it? Apricots are long gone for this summer.

Ooh, heyenglish! That sounds really GOOD! Thanks for the idea :)

• Meditating, that sounds great!

I stuff poblano peppers with it and then press sundried tomatoes onto the top and drizzle with olive oil. Or I top salads with it. My kids love it rolled into little cheeseballs. Eating it in lettuce wraps with avocado, spinach leaves, and marinated mushrooms is good too. I was thinking of making some habanero poppers with it. Or mix with a homemade salsa for a spicy nacho cheese type dip….

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

Yes! I love this stuff. I was just talking about it on another thread. I brought it to a party and didn’t mention it was raw and it was a huge hit.

I served it like hummus with veggies to dip in it and also crackers.

I love it on salads, lettuce wraps or anything I can think of because it’s so freaking good!

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I love the lettuce wraps idea, mamamilk! Throw in some crunchy cukes, and i’m set! Cheeseballs – cute!

Angie recommends blobs. Blobs of Cheese. blooooobs. hehe.

Oooh I have to make this cheese tonight. Great inspiration, ya’ll!

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

Yeah isn’t Zoe’s Cheese with Spring Onions great?
    I made it again this weekend and I spread it (some of it) on untoasted Nori sheets, rolled them up & dehydrated them*... the flavor really came out fabulous. Yum!
    I recommend trying the cheese this way – although it is great as it is too!
    Thank you for the recipe Zoe!

PS: * I think there is a recipe on here somewhere that suggests doing the Nori Wrap with raw cheese spread or pate – Thanks also to the person who posted that one!

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

This sounds good, where is the recipe? I did a search for it, but didn’t find it.

Winona – Thanks for making me laugh – blobs are the best!

mamamilk – Your ideas all sound good. :)

I need to go soak some sunflower seeds now…

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

Wait, is this the one?

http://goneraw.com/recipes/1619-Cheese-with-Spr…

How long will it keep in the fridge for?

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Wow, thanks everyone. Yup that cheese does deserve it’s own thread!

I only posted it, my husband Chris is the inventor of it. He worked on it for about 1 1/2 years till he got it down.

Caleb lasts for about 2-3 weeks. The oil and salt preserve it really well.

We use it in every way, shape and form imaginable. Someone dehydrated it and said it tasted like turkey!

My current favourite is rolled up in a romaine leaf, with sprouts, cucumber, tomato, basil and avocado.

I probably wouldn’t keep it longer than 1 week, but it’s usually, I mean always, gone way before then anyway :)
    I think my ‘fridge works harder – it’s pretty warm in my kitchen even in the winter
    Just as a suggestion – you might want to 1/2 the recipe the first time you make it. It makes quite a bit even 1/2’d.

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

oooh I love this too! I do have to use less olive oil than recommended because it’s a little rich for me but boy is it good!!! Thanks Zoe and Chris!

• Annabelle77Annabelle77 Raw Newbie

Hey everyone,

I have a question. I am pretty new to the raw diet, and am eating probably 75% raw… mostly just salads and whole fruit and juices. I just got an excalibur and a blendtek (read $$$$$$$).

The recipes here look so fun and exciting… but so many have rather pricey ingredients. This one calls for 1 cup of pine nuts and 2 cups of sunflower seeds, which likely costs between 10 and 15 dollars at the stores that I shop at.

Should I be buying in bulk? Do you mail order them in cheaper (although that’s more oil use)? I live in Chicago, so there are probably many options… at the regular grocery stores, these nuts and seeds are too much for me, Any advice?

Annabelle77 sorry I don’t have advice on where to buy, but bulk is usually worthwhile. However, as far as recipes that have expensive ingredients… you might want to try to make a smaller portion to start—ie make a 1/2 or 1/4 even… then you won’t be out as much cash and you can test if you even like it (whatever recipe you are using).
    You will most likely really enjoy this one though.

PS: sunflower seeds are pretty cheap… it’s the pine nuts that will be harder to get a good deal on… but look for places that sell from bulk bins. You usually get a better price that way—and since it’s not something that is “pre-packaged” you can purchase as much or as little as you wish. :)

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

Annabelle, definitely bu bulk. The sunflower seeds should only be around $1.30 a pound. The pine nuts are definitely the most expensive. I have seen them range from $8-$15 per pound. You will get more than 1 cup out of that though for sure.

I don’t know what kind of stores you have near you, but check Whole Foods, Central Market, Sprouts (cheapest for me, on nuts), Wild Oats or your local Whole Foods store. I know the Kroger over by my office even has bulk nuts now. I hope this helps. They are worth it though. I have a cabinet full of nuts in canning jars. Save some money and get you a nice stock pile going!! :)

Annabelle77 – I order lots of stuff in bulk from www.azurestandard.com – you have to call & they set up an account & send you a catalog…

As for the seed cheese, I usually make it without the pine nuts, & it’s still really good. I also sometimes leave out the olive oil, or I just use less of it. Much more affordable that way, since sunflower seeds are pretty cheap, like Caleb said.

mamamilk – Thanks for the salsa idea – I just went & tried it with the little leftover “cheese” I had, and it was GOOD! I also put in more sunflower seeds to soak ;)

• I am so excited to make this delectable cheese. I never saw it before now and I will certainly be making it for dinner tonight! Yum.

• Annabelle77Annabelle77 Raw Newbie

Thanks guys! It’s a learning experience. I soon hope to have aquired the expensive basics so that soon, the day to day expenses will be mimimized. I dont even want to know how much ive spent so far! (But, probably saving lots of money on health care costs down the road!)

• annabelle, you can also make it with sunflower seeds only and omit the pine nuts.

yes angie, glad you liked it. and winona, the lettuce wraps fillings are endless aren’t they? I could probably live off of lettuce wraps.

Yeah, it can seem expensive – I started with maybe one or two spices, one or two kinds of nuts, never used coconut oil, etc. Now I have lots, because I buy in bulk & stock up when things are on sale. But it has taken a while (more than three years so far) and it is definitely worth every penny to me! I had to do it slowly – one month I bought a bigger size of just one item. Then a month or two later, I bought another item in bulk. Slowly I have built up quite a good base of non-perishable items. Azure Standard is a great resource for herbs & spices, too. :)

• I’m currently soaking sunflower seeds to make this… I can’t wait! I’m going to omit the pine nuts since I don’t have any on hand…hoping it will still be good. Can anyone who’s made this tell me… do I really put the WHOLE bunch of spring onions in??

Love & Light

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Chris and I have quit nuts. So we now we always make the cheese with all sunflower seeds, and no pine nuts. Me and Chris think it tastes better like that too. It makes it very cheap ;)

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

I also omitted the nuts. I can’t handle them very well and my husband is highly allergic

It is still really good without the pine nuts. Cheap is good. ;)

• awesome, I’m even more excited now!! But do I put a whole entire bunch of spring onions in???

• TzefiraTzefira Raw Newbie

Mmm i love this chz. i make a kale salad with black olives, avocados and sun dried tomatoes. then i blend up a greek dressing, pour it over the kale salad then mix in some if this pate(chz) Mmm…. my fav right now :)