Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Definitely Not a Palin fan

Comments

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Meditating~ I do believe you would make a Great Debater!!! Hope you haven’t missed your calling… LOL Great Job and very well expressed!!! Couldn’t agree more!!!

• I am neither Rep. or Dem., but I just have to say that many a negative thing can be said about Obama/Biden as well.

Being pro life doesn’t automatically mean that person is anti-woman. Sheesh… there’s a whole lot of judgement going on in this thread…

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

Thank you aspire. I really have two children waiting for me. I should have mentioned that my mom never got over having an abortion. When she wasn’t a Christian or when she was. She was a mother who lost her child, and she realized it was preventable.By the way, I have a cousin who is about 10 years behind mentally. In the place where she lived they gave her a hysterectomy. My aunt signed the papers because of strong scare tactics and threats. When she was mentally old enough to leave, she got married, had a good job but no children. Forced abortion does go on in America. I have two other cousins one born at 5 1/2 months and the other born at 6 months. They are now in their 50’s. Would you call them a potential person? When will they just be a person?.... If some one murdered my child or even raped her, I would say yes, to the death penalty. It is scripture, we all live by something. I made my choice. Others like there choice, but I choose life for those who have no vote,who can not speak for themselves. I am sure my sibling would have chosen to live, and not be put to death…..Those who would try to take away my freedom and the freedom of my family is war in my mind..War will always be on this earth. There are to many hateful, greedy people not to. I just pray the free countries will always win the outcome. Hum, I hate to use the word win. Death and destruction on either side is not winning. But this is freedom. Being here is freedom.

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

Hi Raw Sarah. I didn’t know we were judging. Guess I better shut my trap. It is always flapping. Must be age and experiences in my life. Yep, age. Good night.

• Wow.. using the Huffington Post, or DailyKos as reliable sources is akin to quoting from Ann Coulter or Rush Limbaugh. No thank you to both extremist propaganda sides.

This from Camille Paglia on Sarah Palin:

http://www.salon.com/opinion/paglia/2008/09/10/...

If Sarah Palin tries to intrude her conservative Christian values into secular government, then she must be opposed and stopped. But she has every right to express her views and to argue for society's acceptance of the high principle of the sanctity of human life. If McCain wins the White House and then drops dead, a President Palin would have the power to appoint conservative judges to the Supreme Court, but she could not control their rulings.

It is nonsensical and counterproductive for Democrats to imagine that pro-life values can be defeated by maliciously destroying their proponents. And it is equally foolish to expect that feminism must for all time be inextricably wed to the pro-choice agenda. There is plenty of room in modern thought for a pro-life feminism—one in fact that would have far more appeal to third-world cultures where motherhood is still honored and where the Western model of the hard-driving, self-absorbed career woman is less admired.

But the one fundamental precept that Democrats must stand for is independent thought and speech. When they become baying bloodhounds of rigid dogma, Democrats have committed political suicide.

• Joyce, I am interested in what books Palin has tried to have banned? I always fact check claims from both sides whenever crazy hysterical mass emails come through to me. I check at www.snopes.com and www.politifact.com

Politifact says that whole book banning thing is a “liar liar pants on fire” claim. Never happened. It is the same type of lie as the “Obama refuses to pledge allegiance” lie was.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/persona…

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

Rebecca Ann Coulter is a joke. Arianna Huffington is not a humanity-hater (like AC) and I share Al Franken’s views on Rush Limbaugh.
    I’m sorry that the Huffington Post, Daily Kos, and Crooks & Liars rub you the wrong way. Then again you are probably just so used to the Right Wing Controlled Mega Media (which aspire pointed out on page 1) that it may be difficult for you to recognize blogs From the People – Blogs that bring up Real Issues that are happening in the US & The World instead of the self-serving Republican slant on important matters we constantly get via Mainstream Media (like Fox5) as well as the nearly constant barrage of idiotic fluff about Vapid Starlets.

PS: Thank you Meditating – I agree with and appreciate your very articulate post above.

• Greenhost, I am not a Republican, btw. The political extremists, and hacks on BOTH sides rub me the wrong way. Rhandi Rhodes, Ann Coulter, Al Franken, Rush Limbaugh, etc etc etc. Not an honest one among them. They are hateful, mirror images of each other. What I will NEVER do is pass on an email that is a lie, just to cheer for “my side”. I always make a point of checking the facts with unbiased sources, like the ones I mentioned above. I hope we can all agree that snopes.com and politifact.com are unbiased sources.

I like to stick to the honest news, when I can wade through the slant, and I make my decision from there. Frankly, I will be voting third party, yet again.
  • JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

Rebecca – Palin didn’t try to ban books. As I said in another post, she inquired about banning books (which to me still very frightening).

Palin was interested in getting the book “Pastor, I am Gay” by Reverand Howard Bess off the Wasilla library bookshelf. She has cleary made it aware that she is against same sex couples being allowed to marry and have the same human rights as heterosexual couples.

The librarian was then fired because Palin didn’t feel like she had the librarian’s support. Due to public outcry, the librarian was reinstated.

You can google and do your fact checks. The McCain campain even admits to Palin asking the librarian how she would react to attempts at banning books. Although Palin DID NOT try to ban books, she certianly scared a lot of people with her inquiries.

And the fact that Palin openly opposes gay marriage would be another reason I have ill feelings against her (I’m married and straight). I just feel in this mordern day and age, everyone should have EQUAL RIGHTS. I don’t understand how the church/bible can dictate who a person can love and marry. Jazus, it’s not the 1950s anymore….

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

Hey, in response to your response to Beany. “They” did start the war by A. attacking our country at 9/11 B.disobeying the UN and C. killing millions of innocent people.

I’m not going to stay on this thread since I know I’ll just get beaten down but I would like to say that I am a Palin fan.

You preach about not hurting the animals and all that but you DO know that Obama loves meat. So don’t cut down Palin for that. Killing babies is worse that killing animals. No matter what stage the baby is killed it doesn’t matter since if it wasn’t killed it would have become a person.

I think this thread is going to divide the people on this site and that makes me sad. So I won’t be returning to it.

Yes, sadly most of the world are meat eaters and I do respect peoples choices of food. Obama is not perfect….. But I don’t see Palin as one who would be super supportive of laws protecting animals in factory farms or any animal rights.

Like I said before, I respect everyone’s opinions and I think everyone else posting as been civil and respectful. Doesn’t mean we all have to agree.

troublesjustabubble, like I said above, NO ONE wants to kill babies. But I do hope that the next administration addresses the underlying causes of abortion and helps those that are struggling and impoverished in this country.

• Meditating – your post way up there now said everything I was thinking far more eloquently than I have time to type.

If I hadn’t already figured out who I was voting for, this post would have made up my mind. There is one issue that has always been a deal breaker for me and that is woman’s right, especially the right to choose. I can not support any delegate who would tell me I do not have sovereignty over my own body. Whether I choose to exercise my option or not should be up to me, and I certainly should not have to deny myself sex if I wanted it either. Nor should I be forced to carry a child to term if I was raped. It still amazes me in rape cases the woman who was raped is usually depicted as “having asked for it” for whatever reason.

• One thing the Palin issue is doing is dividing our country even more. I can’t stand the woman, but I wish our country would focus on the real issues like the economy which has been taking a nosedive since the idiot Bush was elected and re-elected. Just yesterday McCain said that our economy was sound, then changed his mind a few hours later. What economy is he living in? Not mine! BTW, Palin has a lot of dishonesty in her, as we have seen in the news. Her visit to Iraq? Not true. Her disagreement on the Bridge to Nowhere? Only after Congress cut off funding. Pathetic! I know it’s risky to talk politics on a message board about raw food, but I feel like raw food is also about being wholesome and living simply which to me doesn’t justify ethics and morals we’ve seen out of Republicans any time recent. Also, it’s hard to find people locally who agree on similar issues. I live in a Republican county. I can’t believe people are not embarassed to have McCain stickers on their bumpers! Don’t they read the newspapers? McCain will make our economy even worse as he is promising tax cuts for the largest corporations. I could go on and on…..but I’ll stop here for now….

Thank you Lauren1982 and rawleen for your input.

On a note about other comments…

Does anyone actually believe that GB started a war with Iraq because he cared one iota about the people that Saddam killed?!?
    If it were any other president they would have been impeached for starting a war with FALSE Data about Weapons of Mass Destruction.
    It’s a blood for oil war.
    http://www.gulfnews.com/Opinion/Columns/world/1…
    Some people (in the US and the UK) are profiting big time.
    Here is a list of the top 10 firms that are making $$$ hand over fist:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/anal…

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

Just to lighten things up a bit…Eugene the Polar Bear. :)

click here

• Kandace – You rock!!!!

Cheers kandace :)

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

The polar bear is ‘infuriated with her shenanigans’. I am too! I love it, good call kandace!

OK I’m going to try to wind-down my entries with this bit of John Stewart truth-in-humor link:
    http://www.crooksandliars.com/2008/09/16/daily-...

• troublesjustabubble- I agree with you 100%.

It’s very very sad to know that there are GR members who won’t be voting for the Environment... or bringing our troops home… or the right for a woman to control her own body… or for keeping the church out of our schools…. or for a candidate that actually understands the economy & supports the issues that are important to the poor & middle-class… or who is not “divorced from the day-to-day challenges people have.”

And what is scary is that “Palin already has a record of power abuse and now people want her to sit one seat away from the most powerful post in the US.”
    this quote is from Danny Thornton @ 23 from C&L John Stewart link

PS: Can anyone please tell me ONE good thing that GB did for our country?

And don’t forget about those who want the freedom to marry?? It wasn’t that long ago that a black person and white person were not allowed to get married. That is the most absurd thing and yet it was a reality forty some years ago. And sadly we can guess what party was against civil rights back then and still continues to deny same sex couples HUMAN, CIVIL & EQUAL RIGHTS

• Hi, i’m not in the US but I would like to comment from an outsiders view. I am pro-life,simply because I have worked as a nurse in an abortion clinic and I have seen how wrecked the women are when coming to terms with their loss – it has a huge impact emotionally. It is probably the one thing that I have an agreement with, in regard to what Palin stands for, but that’s where the agreement ends. For instance, I feel that for too long we have tolerated this phony war business (maybe not necessarily just for oil, but also a foothold in the Middle East?) From a spiritual point of view, I am pro-life i.e, I am anti-war and anti-abortion, for that matter, I am anti-slaughterhouse, anti-vivisection and anti-pharmaceutical. However, as with all things, there is a grey area and perhaps we need to forgive those who fall in the grey areas out of desperation.

The problem we have is that there is still a lot of propaganda, even in this country, and people are fed false information via the media and they believe it. Just because it is on the telly, doesn’t mean it is true! I used to laugh when they showed pictures of captured terrorists talking with subtitles, who would know what they were really saying? Only those that speak their language. It’s just an example….. Sarah Palin looks glossy, groomed, sassy, and her speeches pack a punch (and that’s what is dangerous about her!) Time for change, I think. Only the shenanigans of the last election worried me….

• Sarah Palin truly scares me for many of the reasons discussed above.

Eve Ensler, the American playwright, performer, feminist and activist best known for “The Vagina Monologues”, wrote the following about Sarah Palin.

Drill, Drill, Drill

I am having Sarah Palin nightmares. I dreamt last night that she was a member of a club where they rode snowmobiles and wore the claws of drowned and starved polar bears around their necks. I have a particular thing for Polar Bears. Maybe it’s their snowy whiteness or their bigness or the fact that they live in the arctic or that I have never seen one in person or touched one. Maybe it is the fact that they live so comfortably on ice. Whatever it is, I need the polar bears.

I don’t like raging at women. I am a Feminist and have spent my life trying to build community, help empower women and stop violence against them. It is hard to write about Sarah Palin. This is why the Sarah Palin choice was all the more insidious and cynical. The people who made this choice count on the goodness and solidarity of Feminists.

But everything Sarah Palin believes in and practices is antithetical to Feminism which for me is part of one story —connected to saving the earth, ending racism, empowering women, giving young girls options, opening our minds, deepening tolerance, and ending violence and war.

I believe that the McCain/Palin ticket is one of the most dangerous choices of my lifetime, and should this country chose those candidates the fall-out may be so great, the destruction so vast in so many areas that America may never recover. But what is equally disturbing is the impact that duo would have on the rest of the world. Unfortunately, this is not a joke. In my lifetime I have seen the clownish, the inept, the bizarre be elected to the presidency with regularity.

Sarah Palin does not believe in evolution. I take this as a metaphor. In her world and the world of Fundamentalists nothing changes or gets better or evolves. She does not believe in global warming. The melting of the arctic, the storms that are destroying our cities, the pollution and rise of cancers, are all part of God’s plan. She is fighting to take the polar bears off the endangered species list. The earth, in Palin’s view, is here to be taken and plundered. The wolves and the bears are here to be shot and plundered. The oil is here to be taken and plundered. Iraq is here to be taken and plundered. As she said herself of the Iraqi war, “It was a task from God.”

Sarah Palin does not believe in abortion. She does not believe women who are raped and incested and ripped open against their will should have a right to determine whether they have their rapist’s baby or not.

She obviously does not believe in sex education or birth control. I imagine her daughter was practicing abstinence and we know how many babies that makes.

Sarah Palin does not much believe in thinking. From what I gather she has tried to ban books from the library, has a tendency to dispense with people who think independently. She cannot tolerate an environment of ambiguity and difference. This is a woman who could and might very well be the next president of the United States. She would govern one of the most diverse populations on the earth.

Sarah believes in guns. She has her own custom Austrian hunting rifle. She has been known to kill 40 caribou at a clip. She has shot hundreds of wolves from the air.

Sarah believes in God. That is of course her right, her private right. But when God and Guns come together in the public sector, when war is declared in God’s name, when the rights of women are denied in his name, that is the end of separation of church and state and the undoing of everything America has ever tried to be.

I write to my sisters. I write because I believe we hold this election in our hands. This vote is a vote that will determine the future not just of the U.S., but of the planet. It will determine whether we create policies to save the earth or make it forever uninhabitable for humans. It will determine whether we move towards dialogue and diplomacy in the world or whether we escalate violence through invasion, undermining and attack. It will determine whether we go for oil, strip mining, coal burning or invest our money in alternatives that will free us from dependency and destruction. It will determine if money gets spent on education and healthcare or whether we build more and more methods of killing. It will determine whether America is a free open tolerant society or a closed place of fear, fundamentalism and aggression.

If the Polar Bears don’t move you to go and do everything in your power to get Obama elected then consider the chant that filled the hall after Palin spoke at the RNC, “Drill Drill Drill.” I think of teeth when I think of drills. I think of rape. I think of destruction. I think of domination. I think of military exercises that force mindless repetition, emptying the brain of analysis, doubt, ambiguity or dissent. I think of pain.

Do we want a future of drilling? More holes in the ozone, in the floor of the sea, more holes in our thinking, in the trust between nations and peoples, more holes in the fabric of this precious thing we call life?

Eve Ensler

September 5, 2008

• I think a lot of the issues would be settled if we didnt focus on the black and white terms of right and wrong. There is no right and wrong, there are only circumstances. Our greatest freedom is the freedom of choice. As raw foodies, we want to be able to choose to buy raw almonds and spinach in our grocery store. That should be a choice we are allowed to make. When the government starts mandating whats “best” for us is when we lose our freedom to be human. Sex Ed should be a choice. Parents should be able to chose what their kids learn, not have it forced on them. I find it amazing that kids dont have to learn music or art, but will have evolution and creationism shoved at them. When it comes to pro-life/choice, there are always circumstances surrounding the choice that makes it so much beyond right and wrong. Where we should focus is on education. Being able to make sound, educated decisions about all the tricky areas of our lives can help us eliminate the debates no one will ever win. Education is the answer to it all. The more we know the better we will be. Any government that cuts back on education or starts mandating what we should and shouldn’t learn is totalitarian and will be the end of us and our freedom.

thank you for sharing jackiev (I also believe that McCain/Palin are dangerous) and Bubbaw6 (it’s scary how our country is becoming so fascist)...

On another note… to pro-life folks… I just wish to get one thing straight
    I am not Rah Rah Rah lets all go get an abortion (I didn’t even bring up the topic), but I am fervently against a law that will impose control over women (or on any Currently BORN person).
    As a woman I am intensely insulted by the idea of such a law.
    If you can’t trust me with a choice how can you trust me with a baby?

Furthermore there are so many other reasons (besides ‘abortion’) – many of which are already mentioned in above entries – why I am not a Palin fan. I did not start this thread to create an ‘abortion’ devoted forum

I find it interesting that no one who is Pro GB (and McSame) has attempted to answer my question listed in a PS above.

• I agree greenghost, my only rant with abortion was that the women i met were almost always accompanied by a guy or a mother or someone who often seemed more determined than the woman herself that it should go ahead, authorised by a well-meaning doctor (often male), therefore, who was the one really in control of the situation? Sorry did not wish to make this a huge issue. My point was that it is the one and only thing I have in agreement with Palin et al. Again, I can only go on what we hear in this country about what their policies are, for all I know she may be a soft, polar-bear hugging sweetie, but in the political arena, I doubt it! Thinking about it, I agree with Bubbaw6, life is never black and white, but the problem is we have to live within the law and policies of whatever land we happen to live in and often, they are in black and white! With regards to Palin, I’m with you, she’s dangerous!

Unfortunately, Debs60, she does not care about the polar bears. She is not an environmentalist.

• No, so i hear :( hence the quote. pity there aren’t more political leaders focusing on the environment worldwide. so many of the world’s ills might be made right if that was the case. believe me, i’m fed up with the c**p our government makes us put up with, tho the appearance of wind farms over the last few years has been a step forward. good luck with your elections, i truly hope the best person (who at least thinks outside the box) wins

• Personally I’m not a fan of either candidate.