Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

too many bananas?

bittbitt Raw Newbie

ok i know some of you out there who are fruitarian or 811 eat a lot of bananas. what i want to know is the other folks, do you eat a lot of bananas too? i am finding i eat up to 4 a day. is that too many? they are cheap, filling, and i really like them. is there anything wrong with this?

Comments

• I was having some “fiber” issues and someone suggested to me that bananas may cause constipation. I stopped eating bananas the last few days and no more constipation. I will probably eat a few a week, but not 2 or 3 daily like I was doing.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

yeah i am not getting constipated with them. but i do keep an eye on that.

• I’ve learned recently that bananas are on the mold, fungi and yeast forming foods list. Here is one discussion on that http://www.welikeitraw.com/rawfood/2006/10/inte…. I used to LOVE them, but decided to stop til further research, and surprisingly little by little i stopped craving them. Would love though to find out that they’re actually okay for you, cause there sure are a lot of yammy recipes that require BANANAS

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

Is the mold/fungi on the skin like melons, or on the fruit itself?

• I have been eating a lot of bananas this summer….bitt – bananas that are ripe are laxative whereas if eaten when still greenish on the outside are constipating.

• beany, from the interview link that i posted above it seems like he is saying that they cause more fungus/mold in the body, because of the flora they r made up of. Also there is a whole discussion on this subject, i think its in his Secrets Of An Alkaline Body book, fascinating stuff btw.

• That’s really good to know melaverde! I like to eat them while still greenish…so that could be my problem! Maybe I will try to let them ripen more and put them in smoothies. (They are just too sweet and mushy for me to eat like that)

• Bitt, I eat 4 to 5 a day…I love them. For me, eating raw is enjoying the fresh (in season) produce without the stress of how much or how little I am eating. Right now, bananas have given me the energy I need to sustain long cardio in addition to lifting more efficently…I am noticing more “cuts” with my arms eating this way. Enjoy your bananas!

• Branwyn32Branwyn32 Raw Newbie

I usually eat about one a day, in my morning smoothie. They always seem to be a near necessity in smoothies to bind things together. Much more than one a day though, I seem to get a little constipated, regardless of ripeness.

• I do bananas very sparingly! They are quite hybridized and extremely high in sugar. It is so easy to get addicted to them because they taste sooo good! As with Pineapple, I try to treat bananas like candy and just have them for a special treat. Peeling and freezing them makes it so they are always available.

I usually use avocado, coconut or ground chia if my smoothie needs some more smoothness.

If I do eat them, I try to shoot for evening as they seem to spike, and then crash, my blood sugar earlier in the day. I love them in the morning but they are a disaster for me then. If I have one, I usually feel tired and cranky for hours!

• iknikn

I don’t like to eat bananas by themselves. If I make a smoothie, maybe once a week, than I might use one. I like juicy fruits, bananas are too dry for me.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

I like bananas alot and usually eat at least one a day. I know that’s not like 5 or something but I don’t eat that much apparently(working on it) so I may eat more. I know the MOTH eats TONS of them(like sometimes fifteen a day) so they can’t be to bad!

• I often eat 16 bananas a day. hell, anyone following 811 that doesn’t live in the tropics probably does as well. 811 or not, they are a cheap, filling, delicious, and nutritious food.

all I know is I’ll have a smoothie with 8 bananas and won’t be hungry again for a good 4 hours and have tons of energy throughout that time. I don’t think I could be a raw vegan without bananas.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

i WAS eating 4-5 a day, more when i was going 8/1/1 in august, but i find i like life without them too.

as long as you aren’t noticing any problems, then there’s no problem right? i find i do better with fruits that are lower in starch and lower in sugar. apples are in season now and that makes them pretty cheap too.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

I agree, I love bananas and definitely couldn’t do raw without them.

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

Like Quiora, bananas are too sweet for me, so I like them in smoothies, too. If I’m not making a smoothie, I’ll use a fork, mash it up, add a little cinnamon and salt to cut the sweetness, and I’ve got a quick little banana pudding.

Bitt: As long as you’re not noticing any blood sugar issues, you’re probably okay for now. I’m a proponent of oxidative state, so if you’re a fast oxidizer who processes carbs very quickly and is more prone to blood sugar spikes, you might want to be careful. I try to use more avocadoes, mangoes and durian to get that desired smoothness in my smoothies, even though they cost more. :)

• Jenos, i completely agree, hybridized foods should be consumed as a “special” treat if u really love them. I do the same

• I think as long as you aren’t seeing negative side effects then there is absolutely nothing wrong with eating 4 a day. I usually put 3 or 4 in my smoothies, and some days I’ll have more later in the day as well. Just listen to your body. Everyone is different – some people may not be able to handle 4 a day. Then there’s the 811 people who eat 12 a day! If you’re feeling good, that’s all that matters :-)

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Bananas are awesome! I eat them like a monkey. My only rules for bananas are:

1. They must be perfectly ripe – I mean gloriously spotty and kinda brown – NOT yellow. Wonderfully ripe bananas digest perfectly within my body.

2. Eat as many as I need to feel satisfied – sometimes this means 7 – sometimes this means 12 or more – in ONE SITTING. That is a meal.

If I skip a day without eating them, I crave them the next day.

I have absolutely no problems with my energy spiking and then lowering – I notice a rush of energy, but it’s the same as I get from any other type of fruit, including apples – the energy maintains consistantly until I am hungry again.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

no major problems other than 1 is never enough. 2 in one sitting is a decent snack. i do feel like they are less sugary in a way and more filling than other fruit. but i like other fruit too. i LOVE fruit in fact. that and cacao.

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

I decided to switch from bananas to plantains. The aren’t as hybridized. They have less sugar and still have seeds. I put one in a smoothie every morning. Sometimes I eat them stand alone during the day but not often. When I want that yummy late night snack, I cut one into pieces and dip them in almond butter.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

bitt—i have that problem too and i always feel overly full after eating them. SO, this is the only way i “eat” them now: blend one banana with 1 and 1/2 cups of water, a few ice cubes and some optional cinnamon or ginger. makes a great refreshing drink. and it feels SO hydrating after a workout.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I eat what appeals to me – some days I may eat 5 bananas or more, and other times not eat any for several days or weeks. Hybridized, schmybridized! :P I am not saying hybridized is optimal, but bananas & pineapples are much healthier than a lot of other things I could (& used to) eat. If I never ate anything hybridized, that would mean no legumes, no grain (except buckwheat & quinoa), no root vegetables…if you feel better without them, then by all means, avoid them, but if you crave them & feel good eating them, then no one should say they are too much or the wrong thing FOR YOU. Bananas are rare among fruits as being a source of complete protein – they contain all the amino acids our bodies don’t produce.

• chicorychicory Raw Newbie

bananas totally saved me from starving lol! I lived off of them in college when others ate ramen. 10 cents a banana at reading terminal market looked pretty good indeed. Now I eat them ever few days. I find that on the days that I do eat them I usually take in about 3 on average

• Bitt – they supposedly stay in your stomach longer than other fruit (like 15 min), that and think about when you eat something like an apple how much water there is compared to a banana (how much is left in your mouth of a big bite of apple after you chew it for a while) – maybe thats the filling part of how you feel? Personally I am a fan.

• I love bananas too, but I don’t really eat more than 2 a day. Usually one in my smoothie and sometimes one on its own. I am so picky about the texture though, that it can get annoying finding one to eat. It doesn’t bother me as much if it’s going in a smoothie though. I have texture issues with a lot of fruits though haha, they have to be just so.

• ungratefulungrateful Raw Newbie

Oddly enough, I love bananas but rarely eat them anymore, along with oranges, because it bothers me that I pay for the skins and then can’t eat them…

That’s just me.

• I eat 12 bananas a day :) All in my shakes :)

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

I just read a document somewhere (wish i could remember where) on why bananas are so good for us and what they help our bodies to do/prevent. I’m all for bananas – i too eat about 3 or 4 banana’s a day – once i eat one, i just can’t seem to stop :) They make me happy, so i’m okay with it!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Bananas are WAY healthier than candy, even if they aren’t quite what they used to be. :D