Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Brushing your teeth?

Ive been seeing all these posts about shampoo’ing, shaving, and the like. What about brushing teeth?

I try to get mostly organic aloe vera toothpaste, but I always wonder what raw foodist’s point of view is.

ANyone?

Comments

• devittlesdevittles Raw Newbie

i read about something frederic pautenade is pushing, Tooth Soap, I’d love to hear opinions on it, if anyone has used it.

i tried using a zinc toothpaste, recommended by david jubb, but my teeth started hurting, like i was getting cavities.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I don’t always use toothpaste. I sometimes use seasalt, sometimes TriMedica MSM toothpaste. Sometimes I just brush with water. I don’t want to kill the bacteria in my mouth that makes B-12.

• I use the salt toothpaste by Weleda. I am quite sure it’s not raw, but it is very pure and refreshing.

...I guess my point is that I am trying raw foodism, but not raw oral care.

• LucyLucy Raw Newbie

I use gum joy from David Wolfe,and I make a paste with baking soda. If a use a toothpaste has to be a natural one but it

• I have the Tooth Soap that Frederic Patenaude is selling. My teeth has never felt cleaner! It tastes bad, but seems to work really good. It comes in tiny pieces where one is supposed to be used at a time, but I always use only half, ‘cause a whole one seems to be too much. So it’s quite economical as well. I also use a tounge scraper made out of stainless steel. I can really recommend it, I don’t know how I survived without one! There’s so much left over food that comes off everytime I use it (more when I eat cooked food and chocolate stuff).

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Satnam, what you think is food might be yeast from candidiasis. You might want to check that out.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

I quit using commerical made toothpaste.I make my own now out of pink salt, MSM and some cinammon (the cinammon for taste). It cleanse my teeth and tongue well.

123 – well put. I have candida right now. If you have that white coating on your tongue when you get up in the morning or later in the day after eating, you probably have candida. I have to brush mine off every morning and night until I get rid of it.

Here is the test for candida Satnam (saliva test towards the bottom of the page): http://www.candidasupport.org/candidatests.html…%20TEST

• wait, i’m confused… or maybe i’m missing something… i understand wanting to stay away from comercial toothpastes that carry dangerous ingredients such as fluoride… but, why would it matter if it’s raw? the whole point behind eating raw is eating live foods so that our bodies can actually be nourished. the whole point of brushing your teeth is to keep large amounts of plaque to accumulate over your teeth. if you didn’t keep it under control, it would slowly eat away tooth enamels that otherwise protect your teeth from rotting (and beware of over brushing because you can actually strip your teeth of its natural enamel). plaque also causes gingivitis… nuf said.

now, there are plenty of toothpastes made out of safe, natural and even organic ingredients. but unless you’re eating your toothpaste… why would it matter if its raw or not?

...just curious… or maybe just confused.

• I personally use the toothsoap and love it. I do use a natural toothpaste to brush my tongue with because I don’t like the soap taste on my tongue.

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

I like Vicco Ayurvedic toothpaste. It has chalk to whiten the teeth, and a bunch of other great natural herbs:)

• Brujja, I don’t use the toothsoap because it’s raw (I’m not even sure if it is), but because it doesn’t contain stuff that will damage my teeth, like most commercial toothpastes do. Every once in a while I use herbal based toothpastes as well, like Vicco Ayurvedic toothpaste that humanimal mentioned. Mostly because of the taste, ‘cause as I wrote earlier – the toothsoap tastes like soap ;-)

• satnam… i agree with you 100%. i’ve been using vicco for over two years now (although i do like to switch it around a bit every once in a while with other herbal toothpastes)...

i hope my previous comment wasn’t rude, and if it was i apologize. i was honestly confused with the question (and i guess also some the of the answers). it seemed like, for some people, it was important that their toothpaste be raw and i was curious as to why that was… what the reasoning behind that was.

• A symbiotic rawfoodist does not need to go to the dentist and does not develop plaque like rawfooders.. do you see dogs going to the dentist every year and do their teeth fall out?

NO!!!!

• I still go to the dentist twice a year. Although, I don’t have any plaque to scrap off and I always have a clean bill of health. I guess it’s just a habit but it makes me feel good.

Blindguru—I have seen many dogs and cats develop plaque. I’m assuming you mean raw fed dogs—in that case I would agree with you.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

brujja because digestion begins in your mouth. what is in your tooth paste gets digested into you system. It isn’t that is has be “raw” but it should be as natural as possible – made out of ingredients that you would normally eat yourself for you to sure that your body will recognize it and digest it safely.

• queenfluff – fair enough, that makes sense in a way.

blindguru – i’ll let the link speak for itself, and reserve my comments: http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/aprilhol… ... as for “symbiotic rawfooders” NEVER developing plaque like “rawfooders” is a statement that, in my opinion, deserves some sort of backing up. plaque is formed by the precense of sugars and acid forming foods in the mouth… which create the perfect conditions for bacteria to grow.

even native americans brushed their teeth… they used sage as a toothbrush and toothpaste all in one. they simply rubbed a fresh sage leaf on their teeth to clean the teeth and freshen the breath (due to sage’s antibacteerial properties).

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

fyi blind guru, not only is small animal(dog cat) dentistry popular. horse dentistry is big business and a nessesity! horses get all kinds of plaque on a very raw, natural diet!

• my dog gets her plaque off by chewing a bone….I am NOT going to chew a bone. hehehe.

• Bringing up an old topic, cause I noticed something interesting…

123, you mentioned that bacteria in our mouths produce B-12? Is that true? How so? I’m really interested in this cause I get worried about having enough B-12. I’m currently supplementing a little bit with some nutritional yeast with added B-12, but its only a temporary solution as I don’t want to be taking this for very long.

Also, how can we preserve that bacteria? Thanks.

• Blindguru.com, as well as Rawfoodadvantage.com are not delivering on their blender packages. I finally got my blender on the 30th day after I paid for it, and 28 days after it was supposed to ship. I am still missing most of the extras that were part of the package price including the vitamix brush, tamper, nut milk bags, raspberry flour samples, blue/green algae sample, 3 bags of prill beads, anti-air pump, etc. He said he was out of those items, and didn’t know when they would ship.

Customer service is pretty much nonexistent, except when you’re ordering/sending money. I was told the ‘free consulting’ wait list is 1300 people, unless I wanted to pay. He still couldn’t say when it would be available for paying customers. (Most of my initial inquiry emails also went unanswered.)

Ethics are low on the list too. There were copyrighted photos and text taken from another site and used at Blindguru.com without permission.

No matter how good you eat BlindGuru staff, that bad Carma is going to get you alot quicker than deep fried food will.

Read another unfortunate customer story of RawFoodAdvantage.com / BlindGuru.com at this site: complaints.com/2006/december/20/___Vitaprep_3_blender_8266.htm

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

i use vicco toothpaste and for soap, i use chandrika, you should be able to find both at a health food store. i can’t say enough about this soap, its all i’ve been using for at least 6 years, and i rarely have to use a moisturizer. i have sensitive skin, this stuff is awesome, and cheap too, about a dollar a bar. you will love it!

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

I have to laugh! Dog’s teeth DO fall out and rot. They get cavities just like people, they just don’t yelp about it like people would if they had tooth problems. And fruit has a ton of sugar on it, it’s a good idea to get that sugar off of the teeth…

• I used to bleach my teeth..a lot. I worked in a dentist office and had free access. This led to hypersensitivity and a predeliction toward caries. Recently, I came across the joy of Spilanthes acmella and have not turned back. I use a bud in the morning, along with a toothbrush, and then a bud after each meal. I also wadge every other day or so with some nice dark greens that, surprisingly, do not stain my teeth but actually leave them looking whiter. I was shocked. Spilanthes and wadging are it for me.

Regards.

• I have used a tooth powder before and have currently tried baking soda which I have seen reccommended by some on the net. I found tooth powders to clean much better with a nice fresh feeling. It seems difficult to find them though.

After using a natural product I find it difficult to go back to oridinary toothpaste. Fredercic Patenaude’s tooth products seem to do the job well.
    He currently has tooth powder ( http://www.fredericpatenaude.com/toothpowder.html ) and tooth soap ( http://www.fredericpatenaude.com/toothsoap.html ). He has spent a lot of time researhing natural dental products.

• SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

Has anyone had any results from just salt and baking soda? Or both of them mixed together?? I read a forum at a vegan(not raw) website, before I went raw, that someone had found the mixture of this better than the commercial toothpaste. Any thoughts???

• Samilicious, I do that sometimes and it works fine. I usually add a drop or two of hydrogen peroxide (very little) to help whiten the teeth.

• lstorzlstorz Raw Superstar

I’ve been using just baking soda and salt for about a month now, and my mouth has never felt cleaner. My teeth are more on the yellow side anyway, and it has really help to keep them looking less yellow. I also feel like my mouth doesn’t feel so icky when I wake up in the morning. My method: I wet my toothbrush, dip it in the baking soda box, then dip it in the bowl of sea salt I keep in my medicine cabinet. Very basic.

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

I’m doing the baking soda/salt combination plus a drop of essential oil for breath freshness. My teeth are great, but genetics sure helps a lot, I’m sure.

• FreesiaFreesia Raw Newbie

I don’t bother with the salt and go for the bi carb soda by itself. I’ve never had my teeth bleached or whitened, and people comment on how white my teeth are.
    And it’s so cheap too.
    I agree that good genetics helps.. my dad is 81 years old and has lost one tooth and has only one filling as well.

• ValaVala Raw Newbie

I use baking soda as a toothpaste and tea tree oil as a mouthwash and it works very well. I also always use a tongskraper the when I wake up,to take all the coded stuff of my tonge. I am going to try to add himalayan salt with the BS an see if it is even better. I agree with the genetic part, I have never had any filling or other things done to my teeth. All my sybling