Breastfeeding and thinking of going raw

Hello everyone, I am a breastfeeding mom of a 3 month old and would like to go raw but am concerned of the toxins that will be released into my breastmilk if I do. Any recos on how I can safely start without jeopardizing the health of my baby? Thanks, Anna

Comments

• Anna, I was in the same situation as you last year. As you mentioned, going raw definitely releases stored heavy metals, pesticides etc. and no matter how much water you drink or how regular your elimination is, some of the toxins are going to end up in your breastmilk. For my son and I, the key was transitioning VERY gradually to slow down the detox process. I also waited until he was over six months old and eating a fair amount of solid food in addition to breastmilk. Today I’m a very healthy raw mama to a very healthy 17-month old who is still enjoying huge amounts of premium, raw-mommy milk. I should add though, we both take high-quality supplemental calcium and omega 3s (fish oil), just to be safe. Good luck! Toni

• I have a two month old I’m breastfeeding and I went raw last week. Prior to that I was vegan for the past year. Although I am concerned about toxins getting into my son’s breastmilk, I believe that there are less toxins in his breastmilk as a raw vegan mom versus a mother eating the SAD diet.

• thanks for posting this. i’m breastfeeding my 18month old and wondered too about detoxing into my milk.

• Hi I saw this link and it might be of help if you hadn’t seen it. http://www.vegetarianbaby.com/raw.shtml

Good luck- that is a very cute picture Karmyngirl!

• Wow I never thought at all about detoxing.. I’m 6 and a half months pregnant and am trying to go raw now so that I’ll be completely raw when the baby’s born.. I don’t eat the SAD diet anymore (maybe cause I live in Kurdistan N.Iraq and not the US) but I’m still concerned that I have alot of built-up toxins from when I was eating that diet.. Good luck to all of you

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

It sounds as though you have a choice. Either toxify your baby through eating cooked food or take a chance that when you are detoxing you will pass on your past toxins. I understand your concern for your baby however I wouldn’t think that the same force that brings us sunsets, mountains and trees, would not design our offspring feeding system to double as a toxin dumping device.

You can detox through your Breath also! Try to learn some Conscious Connected Breathing (Rebirthing Breathwork). We are meant to expell 70% of our toxins through our breath but unfortunately the average person uses no more than 17% of their breathing capacity. Check out…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebirthing-Breathwork

• Hi. I just wanted to add that fenugreek is used to increase breast milk if anyone needs more?! I bought some in the sprouting section of whole foods but it’s also sold as a spice. It’s been around since the egyptians and there has been a lot of research on it – google it. I was curious if anyone used it?