aged nut cheese?

so i tried dr. cow recently, and it was ok, not amazing. but i think i could do it better, IF i knew how to age cheese!

has anyone tried to age a nut cheese? results?

Comments

• yeah, read up on Ann Wigmore who started making Seed Cheese, and Seed Yogurt, much easier to digest and very good for you!

• i mean age for like, 3 months, so that it becomes solid like a regular cheese would.

i’ve read my ann wigmore. i’m looking for a culinary perspective. thanks though!

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

I ordered a couple of the hard aged cashew cheeses from Vegan Source and still waiting for the order. I am going to make a cheese today with almonds and acidophilous and I will save some to age. Where’d you order the dr. cow, by the way? I wanted to try to macadamia cheese but that wasn’t available at Vegan Source.

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

I soak sunflower seeds overnight for 2 full days… The water will begin to bubble and smell sour… I drain it, toss the seeds in the food processor and grind it with Himalayan salt until smooth… Then I add my flavors, onion, garlic, tumeric, lemon, cayenne and process until smooth…

I have an experiment going now… Instead of draining and placing in the food processor, I have it in a coffee filter draining and in the refrigerator to see if it will “harden” into stinky goodness resembling feta cheese… Should be ready the end of Oct or if I can wait, the end of Dec…

• how do you know a good stink from a bad one?

I don’t think there is a particular smell, (mine always smells bad), but you just have to taste it every now and again with a clean spoon.

• I’m afraid of food poisoning.

You’re not gonna get food poisoning if you taste the cheese, even if it spoiled. It should smell off but that doesn’t mean it’s spoiled. Just taste a little bit every now and again with a clean spoon and check whether it’s doing well. You’ll be fine if it’s spoiled, it doesn’t make you sick to your stomach especially if you taste just a smidget.

• rawkidchef... i got mine at rainbow grocery in san francisco, but you can order it from http://www.dr-cow.com/

sorry, i haven't been on the site in ages.